Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Entree Ideas for Potluck

Need Entree Ideas for Potluck

We're having our holiday potluck at work next week. Because so many folks bring desserts or chips, I always feel like I need to bring a main dish of some sort. But I'm never inspired as to what. Last time I did pulled pork, which went over okay but not great, but regardless, I don't really have time to do that this time around. We have 2 standard size microwaves available to heat stuff up, or I have a slow cooker I could bring, or a pyrex with a stay-hot insert. Nothing I can think of sounds feasible or enough (i.e. I could make a lasagna, but that's going to be, what, maybe 10-12 portions? which doesn't seem like enough)

Would welcome any suggestions--my brain is fried and I just can't seem to think! Thanks
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Soup in the crockpot comes to mind...maybe Taco Soup or Chili. Or, since there's been a Sloppy Joes thread going around, that could be a pretty easy option. Or sometimes I send this with DH to work for a snack day...cut up a pound of polish sausage (or smoked or what have you), throw it in the crockpot with a couple of jars of hot/spicy vegetable mix. This is so easy, and the guys seem to especially like it.

I like the soup idea. You could do Potato Soup and set out bowls of crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, sliced green onion/chives, etc. And this is good for making ahead, since it's always better on the next day. I also have a really good recipe for Tex-Mex Chicken Taco Soup. Having said all that...do people eat soup at a potluck?
    Or what about Baked Ziti?

mac&cheese

Rebecca T's tortilla soup! I do it sans chicken but add black beans and corn....little bowls of cheese and sour cream on the side!

Sheila in MD

I think sloppy joes would be great. Very easy to make and take in the crockpot. Just bring some buns and pickles...
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

What about meatballs in a crockpot. There is a lady here that always brings those and they always go like hot cakes. she buys a big bag of frozen meat balls (from Costco I think). She tosses in a jar of grape jelly. That's it. They just cook all day. Seriously, its one of the first things gone every potluck.

Similar to Ladywild's suggestion, I saw this recipe on myrecipes.com last week as one of the editors top picks for appetizers.

Spicy Chipotle Barbeque Sausage Bites

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...10000001578378

May be considered an appetizer but it's a meat so it seems appropriate for an entree at a potluck.

I attended a pot luck lunch this week and the two most popular items were Mac & Cheese and Chili.

Runner up was the potato corn chowder and the meatballs. (which I think were turkey and from Costco)

Maybe a slew of sausages w/peppers and onions? Served on rolls or not.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

How about cut up polish sausages and sauerkraut? It could cook all day in the crockpot.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyWild View Post
    What about meatballs...She tosses in a jar of grape jelly. That's it.
    There is usually a bottle of Heinz chili sauce added w/the grape jelly. At least that's the way people make it around here. I think you can also mix chili sauce and cranberry sauce.
    And I agree...meatballs would be a great choice.

Whew! THANK YOU guys. I feel like I have some choices now. I hate when you feel so overwhelmed that you just go blank, you know? Thanks again!
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Linda in MO's Italian beef--so delicious and then you just need to bring buns so folks can make sandwiches. We're having it for dinner tonight!

I usually bring a big salad. The Rachel Ray one Bob posted a few years back on the "Heaven on a Salad Plate" thread has gone over well. While not considered an entree by some it works for me. I've also done a white chicken chili before. The one thing that's always a hit though is a large sushi platter from Whole Foods or the like.

But I gotta say, I like the idea of Linda in MO's Italian Beef. I love that stuff but maybe it's too similar to the pulled pork that you did last year.

This is really good and makes alot. I made it the night before Thanksgiving when I had a housefull. Everyone liked it. The recipe has been posted on the BB before, but I'm not sure who to credit with it!

Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses

2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3/4 lb. chicken or turkey sausage, casings
    removed
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
    1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes in puree, tomatoes
    coarsely chopped and puree reserved
    Salt, to taste
    1 lb. penne pasta
    1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
    2 cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    Directions:
    In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into bite-size pieces, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and puree and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt.

Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a baking dish.

Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water, add the pasta, stir well and cook until barely al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well.

In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce, the ricotta and fontina. Spread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Bake until the cheeses are melted and the tips of the pasta are crusty, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
    Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Chicken, by Rick Rodgers (Simon & Schuster, 2001).
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

People around here go crazy for the meatballs or if you want to get "fancy" you do the cut up kielbasa.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but it always bums me out when I slave over something and someone brings in something that took 30 seconds and everyone goes crazy for it. You know how it is...you want people to love your food, and appreicate the fact that you went to the trouble for them.

Kind of like the homemade mallomar cookies I've been slaving over for two hours and I just put the absolutely shameful looking results in my fridge where they will never see the sun again. The kids will eat them, but they are not exactly discerning....and the idea was to make them for someone else.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

I always take a big salad with mandarin oranges or sliced strawberries based on the season. I also have shaved parmesan sunflower seeds, nuts, etc...endless possibilities. You can also put those things on the side for people to add and then I take the dressing on the side, too.