Community Message Boards

Thread: Gingerbread Cookies without Molasses

Thumbs up Gingerbread Cookies without Molasses

I bought a Wilton giant gingerbread cookie pan the other day for the kids. And I've always wanted to find a gingerbread cookie recipe that doesn't use molasses, since I hate the flavor!

Well, I found a recipe that only calls for 3 T. molasses, but I didn't want to buy a jar, so I decided to try it with golden syrup. I found the original recipe in a Pillsbury Holiday magazine from 2006, and I tweaked it by subbing in some brown sugar for some of the regular sugar, changing up the spices, and adding vanilla (in addition to taking out the molasses). I thought it turned out great!

I used most of the dough in my new pan, and then I baked off 12 cookies that I just rolled in balls and flattened. I just thought I'd share for those that like the idea of decorating gingerbread cookies but don't like the taste of molasses.

Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 tablespoons golden syrup
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons milk or water
    3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
    1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon allspice, optional
    1/2 teaspoon salt

vanilla buttercream frosting, if desired
    Assorted candies, if desired

In large bowl, beat sugars, butter, golden syrup, and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg and milk until blended.

Measure flour by the spoon and level method. Mix flour and the rest of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. On the lowest speed, mix in flour mixture (raising the mixing speed if necessary to 2 or 4) to form a smooth dough.

Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.

Heat oven to 350°F. On floured surface, roll out 1/3 of dough. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated.) Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch gingerbread boy or girl cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.

Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until set. Let sit a minute and remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Decorate with frosting and candies when cooled, if desired.

Original recipe:
    http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/gin...-985fc2908c1d/

If you are interested in more recipes, I found this one in my MC, but I have not tried it. The pudding sounds interesting. Another one follows, but it isn't tried either.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gingerbread People
    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup butter -- (1-1/2 sticks)
    softened
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 pkg. JELL-O Butterscotch Flavor Instant -- (4-serving size)
    Pudding & Pie Filling
    1 egg
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 Tbsp. ground ginger
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

BEAT butter, sugar, dry pudding mix and egg in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Combine remaining ingredients. Gradually add to pudding mixture, beating well after each addition; cover. Refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is firm.

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch-thickness. Cut into gingerbread shapes with 4-inch cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Use a straw to make a hole near the top of each cookie to use for hanging.

BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks. Decorate as desired.

Prep Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 1 hr 32 min
    Makes: 20 servings, 1 cookie each

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS

Make it Easy
    To easily decorate these cookies, fill a resealable plastic bag with prepared frosting. Seal the bag and cut a small corner off the bottom of the bag. Roll down the top of the bag to squeeze the frosting over the cookies to decorate as desired.

www.kraft.com

* Exported from MasterCook *

Golden Ginger Folk
    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 46 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp ground ginger
    1 tsp salt, baking soda, and baking powder
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1 cup shortening
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup corn syrup
    1/4 cup milk

In bowl -- stir together flour, ginger, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and allspice; set aside. In large bowl, beat shortening with sugar until fluffy. Beat in corn syrup. With wooden spoon, stir in half of the flour mixture. Stir in milk then remaining flour mixture. Mix with hands to make stiff but smooth dough.

Divide into quarters; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled. (Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)

Between parchment or waxed paper, roll out each portion of dough to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Peel off top paper. Using 5-inch (12 cm) gingerbread person cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Remove scraps. Slide paper with cookies onto rimless baking sheet; refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.

Gently transfer cutouts to parchment paper-lined or greased rimless baking sheets, arranging about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 375°F (190°C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, for about 12 minutes or until golden. Let cool on pan on rack for 3 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely. (Make ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.)

Thanks for the other recipes! I have tried the one w/the butterscotch pudding mix and I thought it was just OK, but it was a long time ago.

You're welcome.

Here's my son's Gingerbread Man. And I thought I'd mention that this is a soft and chewy cookie.

Very cute, Linda!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I bought a Wilton giant gingerbread cookie pan the other day for the kids.
    Um, I don't have kids and one of those pans just came home with me (because of this thread). I'm terribly excited to use it and will pick one of the recipes here for its maiden voyage!

Yeah!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Very cute, Linda!
    Thanks!
    Kate, after one of my friends saw mine on facebook, she went out and bought the gingerbread man pan, the gingerbread house pan, and the snowman pan!

Great! I'm definitely gonna try this one out tomorrow. Thanks!