Community Message Boards

Thread: What to make with my ham bone?

What to make with my ham bone?

I served a spiral sliced ham and now have a very meaty ham bone. What are your favorite recipes for that? I'm guessing there must be some good soup recipes.

Thank you!

Why not to cook the soup with this meaty bone adding some spaghettis and onion? Or you can cook jelly. I am assured it will be very tasty.

I'd recommend split pea soup but I can't stand the stuff. If you like it, that'd be a natural. Either that or white bean and escarole.
    Or slow-cooked greens? For that matter I kind of like the idea of making a broth and then pulling off the larger chunks of meat then making a soup with lots of chard, ditalini, and some white beans.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Almost any bean soup is nice with a ham broth base. I would boil it, save the broth (chill it for easy removal of the fat), scavenge all of the remaining ham (!), and make a good bean soup.

I use mine to make Mexican Ham and Bean Soup. Just add the ham bone in step two, then remove, pick the meat off the bone and add back the chopped meat back to the soup. Delicious!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

My boss always springs for the ham for our Christmas party but won't do anything with the bone so I suggested bean soup but a couple of the girls don't care for it. I was just sitting here thinking if I could do scalloped potatoes and ham in the crock pot....
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    My boss always springs for the ham for our Christmas party but won't do anything with the bone so I suggested bean soup but a couple of the girls don't care for it. I was just sitting here thinking if I could do scalloped potatoes and ham in the crock pot....
    You can do a ham in the crockpot and scalloped potatoes as well.
    Not together.
    A 31/2 to 4 lb ham stays beautifully moist in the slow cooker, but there is no point trying to gusy it up , the flavours will not penetrate. You can serve it with a fruity salsa or sauce. Or mustard!
    If you want the instructions I would be happy to post them I have made scalloped potatoes in the crock pot as well.
    Not much you can't do with a crock pot . You can make a ham ( pre-cooked ham) cut in pieces and scalloped potato dish in the crockpot as well.
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblond View Post
    You can make a ham ( pre-cooked ham) cut in pieces and scalloped potato dish in the crockpot as well.
    This is what I had in mind. There is a lot of ham left on the bone so I figured I'd trim it up some and toss it with the potatoes. I'll probably use the rest and the bone for soup next week.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

My current favorite is the Pam Anderson white bean soup with tomatoes and cabbage. I don't have the recipe with me, but it came off thhe BB. Almost any legume soup is good with a ham bone. I'll use it instead of smoked sausage with lentil soup or black bean soup. Yum - I'm buying a half ham this week and already looking forward to the soups!

DH's favorite meal from childhood is ham, pinto beans and cornbread. I think we'll be eating that for a while after Christmas!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I have a ham bone Im going to use up tomorrow - going to put it in the crockpot with some black eyed peas! I'm going to serve them over rice and make some greens and cornbread. Southern girl can't help myself!!

I have always loved my split pea soup:
    Split Pea Soup
    List of Ingredients

1 lb. green split peas
    2 1/2 quarts water
    1 VERY meaty ham bone
    1 1/2 cups sliced onions
    1/2 t garlic salt
    1/2 t pepper
    1/4 t marjarom
    1 cup diced celery
    1 cup sliced carrots
    buttered croutons
    Recipe

Cover peas with water; soak overnight or boil peas gently in water 2 min and soak 1 hr. Drain
    Add water, ham bone, vegetables and seasonings.
    Bring to boil and cover.
    Reduce heat, simmer 2 3/4 hrs., stirring occasionally.
    Remove bone; cut off meat.
    Puree vegetables in blender.
    Return meat and pureed soup to pot.
    Cook on low for 15 min.
    Salt to taste.
    Place in soup bowls. Garnish with croutons.

This is equally delicious and so healthy:

Felidstar's Split-pea, Lentils and Barley soup
    Loads of fiber with a good mix of the other stuff. This soup has more texture than regular Split-Pea.
    195 Minutes to Prepare and Cook
    WW points: 4
    Ingredients

For a HUGE 16+-serving batch:
    1lb split peas (1-16 oz bag)
    1lb lentils (1-16 oz bag)
    1lb pearl barley (1-16 oz bag)
    4 stalks celery
    1 medium onion
    1 cup chopped carrots
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 - 1tsp pepper (to taste)
    3 tsp oregano
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp corriander
    8 cups pork broth (this is homemade... can be substituted with can of chicken, vegetable or beef broth for a different flavor, but will probably boost the sodium)
    16 cups water
    1 smoked ham-hock (~2-3 oz), trimmed of fat (optional! This is for that real split-pea soup taste)

Directions
    Serve warm in 1 cup portions, with whole-wheat, rye or sourdough bread, or rice-cakes. I like to freeze the leftovers in 1-cup portions to make it an easy, no-work dinner down the road!
    For a HUGE 16+-serving batch:
    Prep:
    - Wash, sort and drain the split-peas and the lentils
    - Chop the onion, celery and garlic
    - Trim all the fat off the ham-hock
    * pork broth was made by simmering pork-chop bones in 12 cups of water, chopped onions, celery, garlic and pepper. Cool broth overnight in the refrigerator and skim the fat off the top before using.
    Cooking!:
    1) Add broth and water to a large pot, and turn it on to medium-high.
    2) Add all ingredients to the warmed soup base, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
    3) After the soup boils, lower temperature to "low" and cover the pot, letting the soup simmer for up to three hours, or until the split-peas have liquefied and the lentils and barley are soft. Check on it about every half-hour and stir.
    4) Serve and salt to taste. I made this soup to be relatively low-sodium, so it IS kind of bland, but I think it's better to add the salt at the end
    If desired, remove ham-hock and discard. This will lower the fat and proteins consumed.

Number of Servings: 16

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user FELIDSTAR.
    Number of Servings: 16
    Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 16
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 232.7