Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with ham?

What to serve with ham?

I am hoping to come up with some great new sides to go with Christmas ham.

Pineapple Casserole

I like this with ham:
    Pineapple Casserole
    2 large cans pineapple chunks
    1/2c brown sugar
    1/4c white sugar
    4 T flour
    2 1/2c shredded cheddar cheese
    2c crushed Ritz crackers
    1/2c melted butter
    Spray baking dish with Pam.Drain 1 can pineapple
    and put remaining pineapple and pineapple with juice
    in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle flour and sugar combined over pineapple,
    then cheese, then crumbs....pour butter over all. Cover with
    foil...poke holes in foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove
    foil and bake 5 minutes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutalady View Post
    I like this with ham:
    Pineapple Casserole
    2 large cans pineapple chunks
    1/2c brown sugar
    1/4c white sugar
    4 T flour
    2 1/2c shredded cheddar cheese
    2c crushed Ritz crackers
    1/2c melted butter
    Spray baking dish with Pam.Drain 1 can pineapple
    and put remaining pineapple and pineapple with juice
    in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle flour and sugar combined over pineapple,
    then cheese, then crumbs....pour butter over all. Cover with
    foil...poke holes in foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove
    foil and bake 5 minutes longer.
    Too funny, I found that recipe in The Willow Inn Cookbook over the weekend and couldn't decide if my family would eat it. Is it sweet, savory???

Not Tutalady, but I have had that casserole, and it's sweet, salty, tangy, and a bit crunchy!

We always serve scalloped potatoes and sauteed green beans with ham. The potatoes are a cinch to make if you've got a food processor to slice them quickly.

Although that pineapple casserole sounds nasty (cheese and pineapple), it's really, really good. My in-laws serve that with their Christmas dinner.

Here's links to a few of those above recipes I've tried and liked, would go well with ham:

Kentucky Bourbon Sweet Potatoes:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kentuck...es/Detail.aspx

Four Cheese Macaroni:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Four-Ch...ni/Detail.aspx

Honey Chipotle Baked Beans:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...10000001206169

Hashbrown Casserole:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Restaur...le/Detail.aspx

I'm keeping an eye on this thread! DH just informed me that ham will be our main course for Christmas!

I think that casserole is a Southern thing -- I found it in a book with some improbable name, about Southern women and the things they take for funeral dinners...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I thought scalloped (or au gratin) potatoes were required by law Assuming that's not what you mean by "great new" then, though. I really liked the BC recipe for cauliflower gratin, which is a little different, but not much. I would also like a sweet potato casserole or roasted butternut squash or Brussels sprouts with hazelnuts.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

spinach quiche is always nice with ham. so are green beans with a little orange juice and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    I think that casserole is a Southern thing -- I found it in a book with some improbable name, about Southern women and the things they take for funeral dinners...
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but your mention of this book reminded me of one I ran across in the library a few months ago: "Death Warmed Over: Funeral Food, Rituals, & Customs from Around the World".

Yes, that's really the title.

We always serve cheese potatoes with ham--CL's Potato Potluck Casserole is really good.
    Alicia

scalloped potatoes
    broccoli salad or wilted spinich salad (I like the combo of strong green veges with ham)
    whole grain rolls
    squash
    Anne

Well, it sounds like I must try that pineapple casserole. I think I will keep the recipe to myself until everyone tries it. The sweet potatoes sound fantastic. I would love to have sweet potato eaters in my family but I am the only one that likes them. I think some sort of au gratin or scalloped potatoes or casserole.

We normally have some variation of scalloped potatoes, but after seeing Ina on "Barefoot in London", I'm going to do her version of Hasselback Potatoes this Christmas. For the spicy-cheesey goodness, I'm serving a much-loved spinach casserole, along with mapley-apple-nut stuffed acorn squash. A cold fruit is a must with ham; my late MIL favored spiced peaches, and my mother likes spiced apple rings. This year, besides the ever-present cranberry sauce, I think I'll make spiced oranges or clementines.

Here are some links & a recipe I'll be using:
    Ina's Hasselback-Style Potatoes: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...pe2/index.html

Splendid Spinach & Artichoke Casserole: http://community.cookinglight.com/ar.../t-113987.html

APPLE & NUT STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

3 Acorn Squash, cut in half *
    4 - 5 medium red apples, cored & diced
    1 cup chopped nuts
    3/4 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup melted butter

Clean out insides of squash and place in baking dish filled with 1/2 inch water. Combine apples, nuts, maple syrup and all but 2 TBSP of butter. Fill center cavity of squash with this mixture. Use remaining 2 TBSP butter to brush surfaces of squash. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

Serves 6-12. (*Note: I often halve the stuffed squash halves for smaller portions just before serving. Also add dried cherries/craisins, currants or raisins for more flavor & texture.)

I like to serve creamy, cheesy , gratin potatoes with ham.

Quote Originally Posted by gobluem82 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but your mention of this book reminded me of one I ran across in the library a few months ago: "Death Warmed Over: Funeral Food, Rituals, & Customs from Around the World".

Yes, that's really the title.

We always serve cheese potatoes with ham--CL's Potato Potluck Casserole is really good.
    The book I was trying to think of is Being Dead is No Excuse. We read this for book club, and while it wasn't very discussable, the meal we had from recipes found in the book was really good!
    Kay

Along the lines of the Pineapple Casserole, you could try Scalloped Pineapple. It goes well with ham.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Scalloped-Pineapple

8-10 Servings Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
    Ingredients
    1 cup butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    4 cups firmly packed cube bread (crusts removed)
    1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
    Directions
    In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the bread cubes and pineapple. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8-10 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 357 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.

Scalloped Pineapple published in Casserole Cookbook , p244

I recently made Pesto Baked Potatoes from the Kayotic Kitchen blog. They aren't baked potatoes slathered in pesto, which is the impression the name gives (to me, at least). Its sort of a deconstructed pesto mixed with the potato innards and baked - yummy! Here's the link: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/pesto-baked-potatoes

Dang, those potatoes look good!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I like to serve homemade mac & cheese with ham; but maybe I just don't have a good recipe for scalloped potatoes!

We had a ham dinner last night since dh won't be home for Christmas. I made Chipotle Sweet Potato Gratin, Caramelized Shallots, Homemade Applesauce, Ginger-Garlic Braised Swiss Chard, and Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls.

The Pineapple Cheese Casserole is a great side for ham. My recipe is similar, but uses much less sugar.

Pineapple Cheese Casserole

1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in natural juice, drain and keep juice

3 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup sugar (can use even less)

1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

4 tablespoons melted butter

1 cup crushed Ritz or any buttery-type crackers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a 1 quart casserole dish combine, flour, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the pineapple juice.  Add cheese and pineapple and stir.  Mix cracker crumbs with melted butter.  Cover casserole with crumbs.  Bake 25 minutes or until heated through. 

The book I was trying to think of is Being Dead is No Excuse. We read this for book club, and while it wasn't very discussable, the meal we had from recipes found in the book was really good!
    As soon as I saw your first post about the book, I thought it might be the Sweet Potato Queens. The pineapple casserole recipe is in the SPQ's Big-A** Cookbook and Financial Planner, but it was mentioned in other SPQ books as well.

I'm quite impressed with the literary presence pineapple casserole
    has; that alone should convince everyone to make it!

Perfect timing for this thread. I was asked to bring something with pineapple to our Christmas family dinner and have never made pineapple as a side, usually dessert. I think I'll try the pineapple cheese casserole. Thanks!

Sunshine....the pineapple casserole that I posted is sweet and we enjoy that as much as we do Cranberry Relish with turkey........just a good "go with " recipe.

I am making cheesy hashbrown potato casserole with a butter cornflake topping. Also serving green bean almondine, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    The Pineapple Cheese Casserole is a great side for ham. My recipe is similar, but uses much less sugar.

3 tablespoons flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a 1 quart casserole dish combine, flour, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the pineapple juice.  Add cheese and pineapple and stir.  Mix cracker crumbs with melted butter.  Cover casserole with crumbs.  Bake 25 minutes or until heated through. 
    This looks perfect -- not too much for 3 people! I'm assuming it'll serve about 6?
    Kay

This looks perfect -- not too much for 3 people! I'm assuming it'll serve about 6?
    Well, mine is a tweaked version of charley's recipe. I make this any time I serve ham, and my husband and I LOVE it. We can eat almost the whole casserole between the 2 of us! Mine says serves 4, but it would be perfect for 3 people. If you have a lot of other sides, it could serve more though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pineapple Casserole

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Casserole , Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 -20 oz. can Dole pineapple chunks (drain and keep
    juice)
    3 T. flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I like to grate this myself)
    2 1/2 to 3 T. melted butter (no substitutes)
    3/4 -1 c. crushed Ritz crackers (don't use the
    low-fat crackers)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, sugar and 3 T. pineapple juice.

Add cheese and pineapple and stir.

Spoon into casserole dish.

Mix cracker crumbs with the melted butter. Cover casserole with crumbs.

Bake 25 minutes or until heated through and golden on top.

Serving Ideas : This is great served with ham or smoked pork chops.

NOTES : You can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    We had a ham dinner last night since dh won't be home for Christmas. I made Chipotle Sweet Potato Gratin, Caramelized Shallots, Homemade Applesauce, Ginger-Garlic Braised Swiss Chard, and Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls.

3 tablespoons flour

I made your recipe because it made a smaller amount than the others. It was amazingly good. I should have made a bigger casserole. It was funny to see the reaction on people's faces. Everyone took the small polite sample taste and then went back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    I made your recipe because it made a smaller amount than the others. It was amazingly good. I should have made a bigger casserole. It was funny to see the reaction on people's faces. Everyone took the small polite sample taste and then went back for more.
    We made that recipe, too, and had the same result. There were only the 3 of us, and we made it on a lark! We've decided that it's not just a holiday recipe, but a nice complement to pork or ham anytime - and different from applesauce, which is the norm! Thanks, Linda! DH made it, and it could be a little less sweet for me -- I don't know how much sugar he put in!
    Kay

It does have a tendency to elicit strange initial reactions, but it's surprisingly good! I only use a couple tablespoons of sugar. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup. Can't imagine using that much! The pineapple juice adds plenty of sweetness on its own.

Bumping...

I printed out this recipe for Baked Pineapple from Southern Living long ago, and based on the similar recipes posted here, decided to give it a try.

It turned out great. DH was puzzled by the ingredients, but he went back for seconds! As you all said, it goes great with ham.

This one calls for no additional sugar, and very little butter. Went together very quickly, too.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bake...0000001069617/