Community Message Boards

Thread: How Do You Clean Napa Cabbage?

How Do You Clean Napa Cabbage?

How do you clean napa cabbage?

In years past, I would cut it up, rinse in water, spin dry. However, I'm making a recipe calling for shredded cabbage and I certainly can't spin "shreds".

Any advice? Is it actually dirty under the outside leaves?

My spinner can spin shreds. Some will go through the hole, but most will stay in the strainer part. Other than that, I would wash, drain and them lay them out on a tea towel to soak up the excess moisture. I'm a fanatic for washing veggies though. I can't bring myself to us the prewashed lettuce without washing even though they are supposed to be clean.

I remove the leaves from the base and lay the leaves in a sink full of water. Swish them around a bit, lift them out of the water, letting the water drip off and then place the leaves in the spinner for further drying. Once spun dry, then the leaves get shredded.

I prefer to clean the leaves before slicing them in case there are any "hard" bits that my knife blade might not like.

I peel the leaves and swish in a bowl of water like hammster does. I dump the clean leaves in a dish towel, grab the towel ends, step out onto the deck and swing the bundle until the water stops flying out. Then I stack the leaves and shred with knife.

My napas are from my garden and sometimes have mud and spruce needles almost to the core.
    Anne