Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bread Machine Recipe?

Question Favorite Bread Machine Recipe?

I know there must be a bazillion threads on this, but every time I search for it I receive a "fatal error." If you have a favorite recipe, or if you can find the thread and bump it up, I'd be forever grateful! Dusting off the old bread machine since it's in the 20s outside here in FL ....nice warm bread baking seems like a good thing to have right now!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Here's my go-to recipe for white bread... DH likes this so much, he doesn't want me to try anything else!

Basic White Bread - 2 lb loaf

1 serving is 1/2 slice!

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cup warm water
    2 1/4 tsp salt
    4 1/2 Tbs olive oil
    3 Tbs sugar
    4 1/2 cup bread flour (21 1/2 oz)
    2 1/4 tsp yeast

Procedure
    1. Use basic cycle of bread machine. Set it for 2 lb loaf. Adjust flour/water if it's too liquid, or it's not picking up all the flour. Check after ~10 minutes!

Servings: 32

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 92 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2.2g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 164.3mg sodium, 25mg potassium, 15.3g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 1.2g sugar, 2.4g protein, 2.1 points.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Easily my favorite bread recipe (as opposed to rolls)--and it makes lovely french toast the next day, too...

CHALLAH FROM YOUR FAVORITE SCHICKSA

3/4 cup milk
    2 Tbs butter
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    1 3/4 tsp yeast
    Egg Wash: 1 egg mixed with 2 Tbl milk or cream

Chuck all the left side ingredients in your bread machine and run it through the dough cycle. Remove dough and divide into three equal pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each piece into a long, slender rope. Braid the ropes together, place on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1.5 hours. Brush with egg wash (sprinkle with poppy seed if you wish) and bake in a preheated 350 oven until golden, about 25-30 minutes.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Thank you so much! I will try them both.
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Multigrain Bread (1 1/2 lb loaf)
    1 1/4 cup water
    2 TB Butter, softened
    1 1/3 cup Bread flour
    1 1/3 cup Wheat flour
    1 cup 7-grain cereal (I find mine in the bulk section and have used anywhere from 3 to 10 grain cereal)
    3 TB brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    3 tsp yeast

Put in bread machine in order and use the whole wheat medium crust setting.

Garlic-Herb Bread (1 1/2 lb loaf)
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 TB butter, softened
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 1/4 cup Bread flour
    2 Tb sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp rosemary
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp basil
    2 3/4 tsp yeast

Put in bread machine in order. Choose white setting.

Quick Sourdough Bread (1 1/2 lbs pounds)
    1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    2/3 cup water
    1 TB lemon juice
    1 TB butter, softened
    3 1/4 cup Bread Flour
    1 TB sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp years

Put in bread machine in order and choose French bread setting.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread (1 1/2 lb Loaf)
    1 1/4 cups water
    2 TB butter, softened
    3 1/4 cup Bread Flour
    1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon (I add more)
    3 1/2 tsp yeast

Put in bread machine in order and choose sweet bread, light crust setting.

Oooo.... I'm so trying that sourdough recipe. Thanks, sunnyshine!

Kate

Cinnamon Swirl Bread (from Bread Machine)

This recipe is from The Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook (Beth Hensperger). I make this almost every week for someone.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread (1-1/2 lb. loaf)

For the dough:
    1 c. water
    2 TBSP. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1/4 c. sugar
    3 c. Bread flour
    1/3 c. dry buttermilk powder
    1 TBSP gluten
    1-1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. SAF yeast OR 2-1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
    2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
    1/3 c. brown sugar (I use a combo of Splenda and brown sugar for my weight-watching DH)
    1 TBSP cinnamon

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the manufacturer's instructions. Set crust on medium and set on Dough Cycle.

Preheat over to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, remove the pan and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a 8 x 12 rectangle. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with the Cinnamon mixture, leaving a 1-inch edge all the way around. Tuck the ends under, pinch the bottom seam. You can smooth with fingers dipped in water. Place in a loaf pan. (or you can return to bread machine for baking -- I like the loaf pan a bit better because it's prettier)

Brush the top with butter, and let rise at room temp for about 45 min. or until doubled. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool before glazing or slicing.

Cinnamon Glaze:

Make Confectioners' Sugar Icing:
    3/4 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
    1 to 1-1/2 TBSP warm mile
    1 tsp butter, softened
    1 tsp vanilla extract or other flavoring

Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust the consistency of the glaze by adding more milk, a few drops at a time

Sweet Spice Variation:

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, cardamom, mace or nutmeg

Using an oversized spoon, drizzle or pour glaze of the top of the loaf in a back and forth motion. As the glaze cools, it will set.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliN View Post
    This recipe is from The Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook (Beth Hensperger). I make this almost every week for someone.

I made this the other day and we loved it. I didn't bother with the glaze but I bet that would be good. DH said there is no need to buy pricey Cinnamon bread from our bakery anymore - huge praise from him as that is one of his favorite breads. One question - the bread rose really nicely, but when I cut it in slices, there was a big gap between the cinnamon swirl and the top of the bread. Any idea how to eliminate that?

Hmmm...I think I am going to make that cinnamon bread this weekend!

This is my favorite thing to make in the bread machine. I love these rolls!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlic Cheese Rolls

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bread - Bread Machine

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup water
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    Topping:
    1/4 cup butter -- melted
    1 clove garlic -- crushed
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese -- grated

Place first 7 ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting, press Start.

When dough is ready, turn out onto a floured countertop or cutting board. Cut dough into 16 equal pieces and form into balls. Grease two 8 inch cake pans. Place 8 balls into each pan.

In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic and Parmesan; evenly pour over rolls.

Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes until doubled.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for about 17 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve warm.

Source:
    "Bread Machine Magic"
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

For the dough:
    1 c. water
    2 TBSP. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1/4 c. sugar
    3 c. Bread flour
    1/3 c. dry buttermilk powder
    1 TBSP gluten
    1-1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. SAF yeast OR 2-1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
    2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
    1/3 c. brown sugar (I use a combo of Splenda and brown sugar for my weight-watching DH)
    1 TBSP cinnamon

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the manufacturer's instructions. Set crust on medium and set on Dough Cycle.

Preheat over to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, remove the pan and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a 8 x 12 rectangle. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with the Cinnamon mixture, leaving a 1-inch edge all the way around. Tuck the ends under, pinch the bottom seam. You can smooth with fingers dipped in water. Place in a loaf pan. (or you can return to bread machine for baking -- I like the loaf pan a bit better because it's prettier)

Brush the top with butter, and let rise at room temp for about 45 min. or until doubled. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool before glazing or slicing.

Cinnamon Glaze:

Make Confectioners' Sugar Icing:
    3/4 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
    1 to 1-1/2 TBSP warm mile
    1 tsp butter, softened
    1 tsp vanilla extract or other flavoring

Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust the consistency of the glaze by adding more milk, a few drops at a time

Sweet Spice Variation:

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, cardamom, mace or nutmeg

Using an oversized spoon, drizzle or pour glaze of the top of the loaf in a back and forth motion. As the glaze cools, it will set.
    This recipe is WONDERFUL! I make this at least once a month. I have a loaf baking right now. The KAF one is good, too.

Oh my gosh, I love you guys!!! This is awesome. I feel like I am in Santa's Village and getting all the things I want!!! What a wind-fall! Keep em coming, please. This is a thrill thread!
    THANKS to all and to Golden (LYNNE) who started this thread (this time). Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho We can make a special cookbook JUST OF CLBB flavorites!! Ho Ho Ho What a keeper!!!

Thank you all - you're the best!! I'm going to be trying all of these recipes, I'm sure!
    One question - can I use real buttermilk instead of buttermilk powder?
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by golden1225 View Post
    Thank you all - you're the best!! I'm going to be trying all of these recipes, I'm sure!
    I would have to guess and say no. I have made many breads with the buttermilk powder and I am thinking it will make the dough too sticky and wet if you use buttermilk and make no other dry ingredient adjustments. I hope someone else may know and comment. I bet sneezles would know--she has a lot of baking/cooking experience. I will be waiting to see what others think about your question.

I would think you could use buttermilk in place of the buttermilk powder and the water. I'm not sure I've ever done it though.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmarepgirl View Post
    I bet sneezles would know--she has a lot of baking/cooking experience. I will be waiting to see what others think about your question.
    LOL! I make random guesses all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I would think you could use buttermilk in place of the buttermilk powder and the water. I'm not sure I've ever done it though.
    I agree though I rarely have buttermilk powder in the house so I'd probably go for the sub. You may have to add a bit more flour but I wouldn't think more than a tbs or 2.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Gluten Free Bread

I wanted to make a gluten free recipe for a family member that is celiac and i don't like the recipes that came with the breadmaker-so found this and thought I'd share it. It has great reviews and they live up to it. I made it as a trial run last week and have been eating it since-had it as toast, w/ a tuna melt, w/ eggs and as a sandwich not toasted. Though I like it toasted best it wasn't so bad not toasted w/ the sandwich.

Also, per notes from the website this can be made in the oven (if you don't have a breadmaker). Mix the dry in one bowl, the wet in one bowl. Mix the 2 mixtures together and aside proof the yeast in warm milk (someone said the milk should be at 100 degrees) w/ 1t sugar for 5 mins, add the yeast to the mixture. Let dough rise and then cook on 350 degrees for about an hour (check your bread, this may not be accurate for your pan-this just seemed to be a trend among reviewer's)

Here is the link:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/alisons...ad/Detail.aspx

Here is the recipe w/ my small changes and notes for me to do next time:
    Alison's Gluten Free Bread

• 1 egg
    • 1/3 cup egg whites (about 2 egg whites)
    • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 1/4 cup honey (used organic agave syrup)
    • 1 1/2 cups warm skim milk (used unsweetened organic soymilk)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
    • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
    • 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour (didn’t have this or millet flour-used ½ c Bob's gluten free all purpose flour)
    • 1/4 cup millet flour
    • 1 cup white rice flour
    • 1 cup brown rice flour
    • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    Directions
    1. Place wet ingredients (eggs thru milk) in the bread machine pan first
    2. In a separate bowl, salt-thru- brown rice flour and mix. Add on top of wet ingredients in bread bucket.
    3. Make a well in the flour & add the 1T of yeast to the middle of well.
    4. Place bucket in machine and select cycle #9 gluten free cycle, 2 lb, light colored; press Start.
    5. Five minutes into the cycle scrape sides to incorporate flour & check consistency of the dough. Add additional rice flour or liquid if necessary.
    6. When bread is finished, let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.
    NOTES
    · Try using all brown rice flour instead of white rice flour
    · substitute ½ t stevia for honey/agave
    · Add ¼ cup ground flax seed

Laugh when you can!!!

Smile "Bubbles" in Cinnamon Swirl

Quote Originally Posted by sugaree View Post
    I made this the other day and we loved it. I didn't bother with the glaze but I bet that would be good. DH said there is no need to buy pricey Cinnamon bread from our bakery anymore - huge praise from him as that is one of his favorite breads. One question - the bread rose really nicely, but when I cut it in slices, there was a big gap between the cinnamon swirl and the top of the bread. Any idea how to eliminate that?
    I've had that happen a few times to me, too. I try to remember to roll the bread up slowly and have a gentle pressure as I roll. This seems to force out more of the air that can sometimes get captured in the rolling process. When I do this, I usually get a swirl that looks pretty when the bread is cut. Otherwise, I end up with "bubble gaps". My DH doesn't care because he only cares about the taste. But me .... I want it to look pretty, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I frequently sub the other way when I don't have real buttermilk on hand. I use Saco Buttermilk Power and the conversion is:

for 1 cup buttermilk:
    4TBSP buttermilk powder + 1 cup water

for 2/3 cup buttermilk:
    2-1/2 TBSP butter milk powder =2/3 cup water

Hope that helps!

Juli

That's what I did when I made it - used buttermilk in place of the water and the powder. Just be careful when you measure the buttermilk - the bubbles make it difficult to measure exactly. Watch the dough when it first begins mixing in the machine and add more milk or flour if the consistency doesn't look right. The bread was delicious!

I've had that happen a few times to me, too. I try to remember to roll the bread up slowly and have a gentle pressure as I roll. This seems to force out more of the air that can sometimes get captured in the rolling process. When I do this, I usually get a swirl that looks pretty when the bread is cut. Otherwise, I end up with "bubble gaps". My DH doesn't care because he only cares about the taste. But me .... I want it to look pretty, too!
    Me, too! Thanks for the advice, glad to hear that there is a cure for my gap! A friend suggested lightly scoring the dough before putting the melted butter and sugar/cinnamon mix on it so that it sticks better, so I may try that too.

Country Harvest Bread (bread machine)
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/4 cup skim milk powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp oil ( I use canola)
    1 cup whole Wheat flour
    2 cups all purpose flour (bread flour may be used)
    1 tbsp gluten
    1/4 cup flax seed ( I grind these in my coffee grinder)
    1 tbsp sesame seeds. ( do not use roasted) 2tbsp sunflower seed , raw , unsalted( no not use roasted)
    1 3/4 tsp bread machine yeast
    Measure ingredients into baking pan in the order given . Insert pan in to oven chamber
    Select the whole wheat setting.
    This is our personal favorite. You can try different types of seed , but keep the total amount the same. Pumpkin or poppy seed are some other choices.
    Enjoy!
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

Bump (too good to bury)

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblond View Post
    Country Harvest Bread (bread machine)
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/4 cup skim milk powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp oil ( I use canola)
    1 cup whole Wheat flour
    2 cups all purpose flour (bread flour may be used)
    1 tbsp gluten
    1/4 cup flax seed ( I grind these in my coffee grinder)
    1 tbsp sesame seeds. ( do not use roasted) 2tbsp sunflower seed , raw , unsalted( no not use roasted)
    1 3/4 tsp bread machine yeast
    Measure ingredients into baking pan in the order given . Insert pan in to oven chamber
    Select the whole wheat setting.
    This is our personal favorite. You can try different types of seed , but keep the total amount the same. Pumpkin or poppy seed are some other choices.
    Enjoy!
    This one sounds fantastic! Next on my to try pile. Thanks.

Does anyone have a no-fail whole grain hamburger bun recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    Multigrain Bread (1 1/2 lb loaf)
    1 1/4 cup water
    2 TB Butter, softened
    1 1/3 cup Bread flour
    1 1/3 cup Wheat flour
    1 cup 7-grain cereal (I find mine in the bulk section and have used anywhere from 3 to 10 grain cereal)
    3 TB brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    3 tsp yeast

Put in bread machine in order and use the whole wheat medium crust setting.
    Tried this recipe and loved it! Thanks for posting sunnyshine!

I received a bread machine as a gift several years ago but only used it once and wasn't impressed. I was going to give it away but after reading some of these recipes, I might give it a try again.

I'm bumping this back up. You guys have been giving me some awesome recipes -thank you!!!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Cinnanmon Swirl Bread

Quote Originally Posted by pharmarepgirl View Post
    This recipe is WONDERFUL! I make this at least once a month. I have a loaf baking right now. The KAF one is good, too.
    Must you use the gluten? I don't have any, and completely forgot to get some when I went to to the store.
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

I read somewhere, in one of my bread machine books, that gluten is to lighten it a bit because whole wheat is rather heavy. I think for poofing it up and giving it air instead of the brick some of us create. So, it can be optional, but.....

I could be dealing with a faulty memory. Don't rely on me, please.

I have Beth Hensperger's "Bread Machine" book (The Bread Machine Bread Lover's Bible??). And I know she mentions the use of gluten and while I have other bread machine books, they don't call for the gluten in their recipes. I haven't really noticed much of a difference, but that's just me.

I have been thinking about cinnamon raisin bread and the recipe posted here looks good! Have to give it a try!
    barbara-cook