Community Message Boards

Thread: Cake/dessert Recipes for loaf pans?

Cake/dessert Recipes for loaf pans?

This year I bought several of Stonewall Kitchen's delicious dessert sauces to give as Christmas presents to friends. I have been looking for the perfect dessert/bread to go with them. Since I have so many to bake for, I can't do full size Bundt cakes for everyone so I was planning on baking in loaf pans or mini loaf pans. But all the recipes I have found have been more breakfast-y. Anyone have suggestions and/or recipes for a dessert bread/cake that (1) go well with decadent chocolate and dulce de leche sauces and (2) that I can bake in loaf pans?

Many thanks!

Go to advanced search and type in Nigella's Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake. The recipe is there with a thread. I have made this several times, and it's wonderful. I make a chocolate mint ganache to pour over it. I will be making this soon.

The ABSOLUTE BEST recipe I've made for loaf or mini loaf pans is from Southern Living. It's called something like Cranberry Orange Loaf with Grand Marnier Glaze!!!!!!!! OMG to die for!

I really like CL's Sour Cream Pound Cake. I just bake it in a loaf pan instead of a bundt pan.

I typed up a recipe thinking it might be something you'd be interested in that you can make in loaf pans, only to realize that you want something to go with that particular sauce, which I don't think my recipe would as it already has a glaze. But I can't bare to delete this after I typed it.

I got this from a "Gifts from the Christmas Kitchen" cookbook.

Caramel Pecan Spice Cakes:

Ingredients:

Cake:
    1 package Spice Cake Mix
    1 package (4 serving size) Vanilla instant pudding
    4 eggs
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup crisco oil
    1 1/2 cups pecan pieces

Caramel Glaze:
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    3 tablespoons whipping cream
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pecan halves and maraschino cherry halves for garnish

Directions:
    1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans (I've used the mini loaf pans)

2.) For cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in toasted pecans. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 15 minutes. Loosen loaves from pans. Invert onto cooling rack. Turn right side up and cool completely.

3.) For caramel glaze, combine butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and whipping cream in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat; remove from heat and cool 20 minutes. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla extract, blend with wooden spoon until smooth and thick. Spread evenly on cooled loaves. Garnish with pecan halves and maraschino cherries halves before glaze sets.

This is a chocolate cake recipe I always use when I am in a hurry, it is very easy. It is maybe the chocolate and cream that make it moist. I have baked it in mini loaf pans and filled with dulce de leche:

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/4410...ate-Cake.aspx#

I've used this recipe for pound cake for years. I think it came from Better Homes and Gardens. It makes nicely textured cakes.

German Gold Cake

Makes two 9” x 5" loaves.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter, room temperature
    3-1/2 cups cake flour (*I use Softasilk brand)
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    6 egg yolks (from large eggs)
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, with a mixer. Add egg yolks. Sift dry ingredients together, then add to mixer bowl, alternately with milk and vanilla, blending well. (Don't overbeat at this stage.)

Fill two prepared loaf pans (greased and floured). Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then put out on rack to finish cooling.

*Takes 45-47 minutes in my oven. Don’t overcook!

NOTE:
    I use light colored aluminum baking pans, and follow the temperature and baking times given above. If your baking pans are dark, and/or made of steel, or of glass, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees.

You can cut this recipe in half, if you want to make a single loaf cake.

I love Joy of Cooking's Sourcream chocolate chip cake

Yip. I've made Nigella's loaf cake before and it's always a massive hit with everyone. Kids, grandparents and of course my hubbie too. But he HAS to like it.

Fabulous suggestions - thank you all! I might have to just make them all!