Community Message Boards

Thread: Appetizers to serve for casual chili supper?

Appetizers to serve for casual chili supper?

Having some friends over tomorrow night for a casual chili supper. Dinner menu will be just chili with an assortment of toppings and cornbread. Should I include a salad? Also, what kind of appetizers should I serve? That one has me stumped.

I'd probably put out fresh veggies, maybe a few pickled/cured ones too. Ranch or blue cheese dip for them perhaps. Don't forget the beers!! Red Stripe is a great one with chili.

I second the idea of a platter of fresh veggies. That would fill the vegetable group and also act as an appetizer. Ranch dressing or dip goes well with Mexican food.

Another idea would be a fruit salad.

For a meal of chili, I like to include something light and healthy. It's also helpful in case someone is watching their calories.

Chipotle Artichoke Dip

December/January 2008 Rachael Ray
    Chipotle Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    * 1 small clove garlic
    * 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
    * One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
    * 1/2 cup grated Mexican white cheese, such as cotija
    * 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    * 1 tablespoon lime juice
    * Plantain chips, for serving

Directions:

Using a food processor, finely chop the cilantro, garlic and chipotle, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Add the artichokes, cheese, olive oil and lime juice and pulse for 8 seconds until combined. Serve the dip with the chips.

I took a spinach and mushroom tortilla to a party as an appetizer last night, and it was very good. basically a mix of spinach, mushrooms, parsley, slivered almonds and eggs with a Parmesan cheese topping. Can be served lukewarm OR cold. I can post the recipe if you are interested.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!