Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze fresh spinach?

Can I freeze fresh spinach?

I buy baby spinach in the big bags at the grocery store, the ones in the bagged salad section. I use this spinach ONLY in smoothies I make in my VitaMix. I can't use it all before it turns on me, and buying smaller bags is more expensive. Can I freeze the bag of fresh leaves and just stuff them frozen into my VitaMix for smoothies?

I read that the freezing isn't what does raw produce in, it's the defrosting process.. so if I'm not wanting to use this product in a salad when it's defrosted I should be OK, right? Also wondering if I should just keep in the same bag but squeeze as much air out as I can before putting it back in the freezer. I think I'll drink my fruit/veggie smoothies more often if I have spinach at the ready!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I think you can.
    There was a sale on bagged spinach here and I bought 1 too many bags before expiration date.
    I tossed it in the freezer (bagged, as is) to see what would happen.
    I'm sure it is not long term storage as it has not been blanched, but for a month or so, I think it is fine.
    It cooked up great for me...it was nice to be able to crinkle/smoosh the spinach for smaller pieces instead of having to chop it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Freezing spinach

I've done exactly this - frozen fresh spinach and used it in my Vita-mix for smoothies. It worked great for me.

wow- never even thought that would work- glad to know! now wondering if you can freeze chard too....
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by psims2000 View Post
    I've done exactly this - frozen fresh spinach and used it in my Vita-mix for smoothies. It worked great for me.
    What are the odds?? Thanks to all of you. I usually tried to keep it in one of those green bins that help keep produce fresher in the fridge. They work, but never long enough, and the darned bin takes up SO much fridge space. At least keeping the big bag in the freezer will free up space AND make the stuff last longer.

On a related note, I have never enjoyed spinach in my life. I am NOT a veggie person at all, can't eat ANY raw, let alone cooked. It's just a weird texture thing with me and it's not going to change. Since the VitaMix I can now eat spinach and carrots. Generally a good cup or so of spinach, one huge carrot (unpeeled) along with 5 or 6 frozen strawberries, an apple, and about a half cup of frozen mixed fruit like mangos, pineapple and peaches go into my VitaMix and come two really nice smoothies for Dave and I. It's probably a lot of calories in fruit but to get those veggies into me I honestly don't care.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

That's funny Jewel, I am just the opposite. For some reason, I have trouble eating fruit, with the exception of bananas and apples. I think the acidity really bothers my tongue and sometimes my tummy too!
    Yet, I can totally eat veggies all day long. I would rather eat a vege than a fruit any day!
    Having said that, spinach is good pureed up and tossed into a soup. I used to disguise it that way to get it in my boys when they were young.

Paula
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

Yes you can

In france there's actually some pre-made frozen "fresh spinach".
    Come and discover our cuisine, our ideas and test new tastes... live from France on Frenchy's Cuisine

Of course you can! You can use then the frozen spinach whenever you like.
    Catering Melbourne - all types of food