Community Message Boards

Thread: canned green chiles question

Question canned green chiles question

I have a recipe that calls for two cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I only have regular cans of diced tomatoes but I have two small cans (4 oz. or so) of Old El Paso chopped green chiles that I could add. I don't really know how many green chiles there are in a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. Do you think one little can with the two cans of diced tomatoes would be equal? Or do you think I should put in two little cans?

In case you're interested, I am making CL's Cheese dip with crawfish, which I've made many times before and love. If I can get the link to work, here it is:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...10000000833300
    Katie

I've been in this predicament! I think I would just just one can of the green chilies, well drained.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

I think 1 can of chilis would do the trick with the tomatoes that you have!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

There are a surprising number of pepper pieces in one of those little cans of peppers so I'd tend to put some in, maybe half a can, taste, and add more if needed. "Needed" meaning to taste.

Here's the recipe:

Cheese Dip with Crawfish

Here's an intriguing version of the standard two-ingredient party dip. Be sure to rinse the crawfish after they thaw to remove any fishy taste. Substitute cooked shrimp for the crawfish, if you prefer; if they're large, roughly chop them so they're easier to scoop with the dip.

Yield: About 6 cups dip (serving size: 1/3 cup dip and about 6 chips)

Ingredients 2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound frozen cooked peeled and deveined crawfish tail meat, thawed, rinsed, and drained
    1 pound light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
    1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
    1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    5 1/2 ounces baked tortilla chips
    Green onion strips (optional)

Preparation:
    Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add crawfish; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove mixture from pan; cover and keep warm.
    Add cheese and tomatoes to pan; cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in crawfish mixture and chopped green onions. Serve with tortilla chips. Garnish with green onion strips, if desired.

Nutritional Information:
    Calories:115 (29% from fat)
    Fat:3.7g (sat 2.1g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:13.7g
    Carbohydrate:12g
    Fiber:1g
    Cholesterol:39mg
    Iron:0.7mg
    Sodium:559mg
    Calcium:166mg

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

I would say it's a personal preference but then you should ask yourself...what am I going to do with the rest of the can? I'd use the whole can...they are mild...I've even been known to throw in 2 cans (I use no salt added tomatoes so I always have to add at least one can of green chiles).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thank you all for responding so quickly!
    Everyone loves this dip, by the way, so I'll give it a thumbs up too. I made it once for our Christmas Eve celebration, and no one will let me change the offering.
    I never would have suspected that something with Velveeta would be so yummy.
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by knunes View Post
    I never would have suspected that something with Velveeta would be so yummy.
    LOL! It's pretty much chile con queso with crawfish! What's not to like?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!