Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO what to do with my leftover prime rib bones

ISO what to do with my leftover prime rib bones

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

We cooked prime rib and I had the butcher cut off the ribs and tie them to the roast. We cooked them with the roast and now .... what can I do with the ribs?

Any ideas?

TIA
    Julie

Someone on another forum mentioned making deviled bones and someone else linked this thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...151229638.html

Demi-glace would be my choice.

I am going to make beef and barley soup with my leftover bones and meat.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

If they are fairly meaty, warm some bbq sauce and place the ribs in the sauce to warm through. Pretty tasty.

I have looked at the "Deviled Bones" recipe. My DH says, lets try it! I'm a little hesitant. Won't they be pretty greasy (since there is fat on the bones?)

So, Sneezles, would you share your recipe with me? We cooked a 13 lb prime rib, so maybe there will be enough to do both, since it is just the 2 of us!

Thanks, everyone!!
    Julie

Julie, don't know the answer to your question. I don't like prime rib because of the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    So, Sneezles, would you share your recipe with me?
    I'm doing this one with a few tweaks:

From the original Frugal Gourmet cookbook.
    Italian Barley Soup

1.5 qts beef stock
    2 cups water
    3/4 cups barley
    1 cups celery, chopped
    1 cups carrot, chopped/grated
    1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 cup red wine (omitting since I don't have any in the house)
    1 piece lemon peel, 1" x1/2"
    salt and pepper to taste
    Adding in the two bones that I have leftover
    A couple of cups of diced meat, well-trimmed
    Adding in 1 lb of creminis, halved or quartered

Herbs, dried:
    1/2 Tb basil
    1/4 Tb oregano
    1/2 cup parsley
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 Tb rosemary(omitting since DH abhors it
    2 tomatoes, chopped (omitting since I don't have any)
    4Tb tomato paste
    fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Bring stock and water to a rolling boil. Add barley and turn down to a low simmer. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, and red wine, lemon peel, pepper and salt and simmer for 2 hours. Stir often or the barely will stick and burn.

At the end of 2 hours add the herbs and chopped tomato and paste, and continue cooking for 1 more hour. The total cooking time is 3 hours. Leave the lid on for the entire time except when stirring. The soup can be adjusted with water or stock if necessary. Correct for salt and pepper before serving

Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with parsley and grated cheese. Serves 8

Last time I had prime rib, I made beef broth for French Onion Soup.
    Yum.
    Tracy
    My food blog: www.rahchachow.blogspot.com

ok - I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but........Um how do I make beef stock with the ribs??

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    ok - I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but........Um how do I make beef stock with the ribs??

Just add them to a stock pot of water(amount depends on the number of bones but at least 2 qts) with celery, onion, garlic, carrots (none of which needs to be peeled and just rough chopped). Add some herbs and salt& pepper) then let simmer for about 3 hours. Strain, cool and the chill over night. Next day remove the fat the formed at the top. At this point you can clarify or use as is.

I do what Sneezles says -- I use enough water to cover the bones. Simmer (just so bubbles break the surface) and leave partly covered so it reduces a bit. Be sure to periodically skim off any scummy bubbly stuff that forms at the top.

I don't go crazy buying veg & herbs to go in the stock. I use whatever's in the fridge -- it can be limper than what you'd serve raw -- use something oniony, something herby, something rooty. Definitely peppercorns. It will likely take more salt than you'd expect. Add some at the beginning of cooking, then more to taste at the end.

The step of chilling overnight and skimming off the solid fat is critical for prime rib bones because there likely will be a fair amount of fat.

Also, be aware that homemade stock is gelatinous when it's chilled. It won't be liquidy like the stuff in the can.
    Tracy

thanks everyone for your help. I am home part of the day tomorrow, I will give it a whirl!!
    Julie

Back to report the Beef & Barley Soup was fantastic!! DH kept "mmmm"-ing the entire time! I added a couple of tbs of balsamic since I didn't have any red wine, also used lemon infused olive oil to sauté the veggies (rather than adding them raw) so I didn't use the lemon rind. I had also doubled most of it but added way more broth and water and simmered it for about 5 hours.

Wondering how Julie's stock came out...

Sneezles, that soup sounds delicious! I'm glad you found a good substitute for the red wine as it makes me break out in hives .... but I miss what it adds to cooking so much. I'm going to have to try the balsamic vinegar.
    Tracy