Community Message Boards

Thread: Questions about sealing granite

Questions about sealing granite

As I was researching countertop options for my kitchen at home, I mentioned to the salesperson at Home Depot that I was not crazy about my granite countertops at our weekend place because you could see every smudge, glass ring, etc. She said "If you are seeing those kinds of things, you need to re-seal your countertops." True confessions--countertops have been in place for three and a half years and I have not resealed them. (But this is a weekend place after all, so it gets significantly less use than a normal kitchen.)

In any event, I am now debating whether to seal the countertops. Have done some research and am more confused than ever. My questions:

1. How do you know if countertops need to be sealed?
    2. What product do you use? (DH bought a product from CSI at Home Depot, but it doesn't seem like it will be enough.)
    3. Product says to clean countertops, let dry for SIX hours, then seal in a WELL ventilated spot?

I am confused! HELP! TIA!

Even when we had brand new ones it showed water marks and such until they were wiped off.

We had our current ones professionally sealed when we moved in 2 years ago. They told me they needed to be done once a year. Uh....that's not happening.

I'm guessing we'll seal them about every 3 years. It REEKS when they do it so I need to have all the windows open. But, we have granite with very light spots on it. I think with a darker stone you can get away with going longer.

I have no idea how the ones you can buy yourself work. They always say to test in a small area first, don't they? I'm guessing you'd need to do it more often with that kind as well.

So...was this any help at all? LOL.

Glass rings and fingermarks have nothing to do with sealing as they will just appear.

Sealing (from what I've read) protects the granite from staining for example since it helps protect stuff from seeping into the structure of the stone.

Some granite actually doesn't need to be sealed and one can test this at the granite yard - don't know whether or not this is applicable to your granite.

ETA - There are different colors, patterns and finishes that show less smudging etc. You would probably do better going to a stone yard and getting your materials there. In my experience the selection is better and the cost is lower.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

We have uba tuba granite that was installed when the house was built in 2000. I think it was sealed by the builder. We have never sealed it and it looks brand new. I do try to wipe up spills quickly, but I don't baby the counters at all.

We periodically wipe on some Turtle wax to make it glossy and make water bead up better, but that is all the long term maintenance we have done. I have read that factory sealing can last 10-20 years. I suppose I should start looking into re sealing, since it is over 10 years old now.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    We have uba tuba granite that was installed when the house was built in 2000. I think it was sealed by the builder. We have never sealed it and it looks brand new. I do try to wipe up spills quickly, but I don't baby the counters at all.

We periodically wipe on some Turtle wax to make it glossy and make water bead up better, but that is all the long term maintenance we have done. I have read that factory sealing can last 10-20 years. I suppose I should start looking into re sealing, since it is over 10 years old now.
    Our uba tuba was installed in 2000, too. I've never sealed it (except what they did at the fabricator). I think it still looks really good. The counter at the wine area that doesn't get a lot of use does look better and shinier than the area near the sink and stove that gets hard use, but even those areas look pretty good. I guess I should look into resealing at some point, too.

Our lake house has granite tile countertops that I sealed with something from Home Depot. It is no where near the quality of sealant that the one at home has. Water gets absored right into it and leaves a dark mark until it evaporates. On the counters at home with the factory sealant, water beads on the surface...even after 10+ years.

When our Giallo Fiorito granite was installed last spring we paid for the $100 quart of 'permanant seal' that the installer put on before he left. The bottle said that it was rated at 15 years, but it was really considered permanant. We see smudges and rings, but they wipe off easily. After he left I read the bottle that the stuff should have been spread on liberally, allowed to sit, and then wipe off with a clean cloth. When I saw him put it on it was just rubbing it in... so I decided to re-treat with the balance of the bottle. On the small area that I tried it just beaded up and didn't soak in, so I assumed that he did it correctly the first time and never went any further!

I do use the Daily Granite Cleaner that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond about once a week to get a nice polish on it, but other than that I know it's sealed!
    Last edited by Jewel; 01-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Sealing granite countertops should be done for the ultimate in care and protection of your home decor.

See if it needs to be sealed. Try to sprinkle some water on it and see if it beads up, if it does, don't seal it again. Also, if you notice that your counters easily get stained, it means the sealer is already weak. It's better to hire a trained professional when sealing your counters. Be sure you use products that are approved by your fabricator. I am using products from this site: http://www.myinstalledcountertops.co...r-granite.html