Community Message Boards

Thread: How often do you wash your comforter, and do you wash your pillows?

How often do you wash your comforter, and do you wash your pillows?

I was just wondering --- how often do you wash your comforter? And by that I mean the fiberfill comforter not a duvet cover etc.

Typically when I do wash it, its best for me to go to a laundromat and use the large mega machines. So quite time consuming, and hassle walking to the laundromat etc. But hey, nice clean comforter when done.

I've used my apartment washers and sometimes its a total hassle --- tilting the machine, not rinsing completely. Fun times.

Anyway, how often do you wash your comforter?

And do you wash your pillows too (the poly fill ones)? I sometimes wash them -- but sometimes more apt to just replace after awhile (often depends on how they are wearing). I am still in search of a pillow that I like from the start. I know many that don't wash their pillows but simply toss and replace periodically (and I use the word periodically loosely... I remember seeing on tv that some use the same pillow for years -- talking 10, 20, 30 years ). I wonder how often "they" say a pillow should be replaced?

Last question, I have two European Square pillows --- has anyone washed those? The pillows are so thick and big that I would have to use the commercial machines - I can't imagine it would be worth it. Plus, I have a feeling it would be a problem rinsing out the soap etc. I'm thinking that I can just get a cheap replacement since I don't sleep on them.

I often wake up with a stuffed nose -- so thinking that a mega washing of everything might help. Or at least worth a try. Today I just washed the sheets, pillowcases, and cotton blanket -- but not the rest.

Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-23-2011 at 07:11 PM.

I wash the down alternative comforter a couple times a year. It's queen size and I can fit it in my home washer. Sleeping pillows get washed once a year and usually replaced within 18 months. I've never washed the European pillows (just their shams), because we don't use them for sleeping.

When I had a poly-fil comforter, I washed it every season.

My pillows I wash periodically -- maybe twice a year. Most of the time they only survive one washing and then it's time to replace.

I use Laura Ashley King-size pillows from Bed, Bath & Beyond.

If you think you are having allergy problems, maybe you could get zippered pillow covers that you could take off and wash frequently.

As for the comforter --- I switched to a bedspread and knit blankets for the ease of washing. I wash the bedspread every three or four weeks. The blankets -- as needed since they don't really touch much skin.

Depends on the comforter here.
    if it is the wool one, I just wash the duvet and not the wool.
    If I use any other comforter, I usually wash it once/month, sometimes twice-month...depends on how muddy the cat feet were that go-around.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I wash our comforters about 2x each year, sometimes 3.

Pillows-- we have cheap ones-- so I never wash. I just buy new ones! then donate the old ones to the dog pound.
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

I don't think I've ever washed a pillow.

I use mostly down pillows, and they get shaken out periodically, but I've never washed them. Never even thought about it! They're only used with pillow cases on them, and the cases get washed regularly.

Also, the decorative pillows covered in shams that never get slept on? I think of them like throw pillows or couch cushions, and I don't wash those either. Maybe I'm less hygenic than the rest of you, but why would they need to be washed?
    Last edited by Robyncz; 01-24-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Slightly off-topic, but... I have friends who have a much-used rental condo at a major ski/golf resort. They contract through the resort for daily housekeeping. The comforters and blankets only get cleaned twice a year (spring & fall) as dictated by resort management. I don't believe the pillows ever get washed, just tossed when they look "tired."

I'm sure that is fairly common in the industry... also totally gross if you think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz View Post
    I don't think I've ever washed a pillow.

I use mostly down pillows, and they get shaken out periodically, but I've never washed them. Never even though about it! They're only used with pillow cases on them, and the cases get washed regularly.

Also, the decorative pillows covered in shams that never get slept on? I think of them like throw pillows or couch cushions, and I don't wash those either. Maybe I'm less hygenic than the rest of you, but why would they need to be washed?
    This, exactly.

I generally wash my comforters in the spring- one of the first days that it's nice enough to open up the house. I wash the bedding and hang it outside to dry while the fresh air flows through the house.

I've found that washing pillows makes them lump up in strange ways, so we now replace them. It seems that about once a year I pick up new ones, but it could be a little longer than that.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Dust mites make me sniffly and clogged, so I put my pillows in the dryer once a month or so, with a wet towel. Heat kills the little buggers!

My 'comforter' is a quilt my mom made, so I don't like to wash it unless I have to. I hang it out on the line once in a while, or do the dryer treatment.

Our sleeping pillows get washed every couple of months or so and they get replaced every 18 months or so. The kids pillows probably get washed more often in the winter, especially when they have been sick. The ones that stay in the sham have never been washed.

We have down comforters and the covers get washed every other month or so. I don't believe that just because I don't see the dog on the bed, she isn't sleeping up there. Comforters themselves are supposed to be dry clean only and I think I've had that done once.

I do wash throw pillows on delicate every once in a while. Dog, dust, kids dictates it.
    Maria

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll try just tossing the European Square pillows in the dryer with a wet towel (thanks Sparrowgrass).

Since I often wake up with a stuffed nose, I was thinking ... that maybe I should try washing everything. I normally wouldn't consider washing my Euro Square pillows because I don't sleep on them (plus the pillows are so big, too cumbersome) -- but they do sit right next to my sleeping pillows on my bed. So there could be dust and stuff (let's move on ....) in there. Yummo.

I would wash my comforter more often if I didn't have to walk to the laundromat (since the machines in my apartment bldg aren't big enough) etc. The few times I've squeezed the comforter in the machine in my bldg -- let's say it was comedic. You guys must have much bigger machines or my comforter is just super thick.

My apartment seems to get super dusty (I have just windows all along one wall and live on a busy city street). And, in the summer the windowsill gets lots of pollen etc (live across from lots of trees) so that stuff must get everywhere.

Freddy, I try not to think about the comforters when I go to hotels.

Ok, so do you vacuum your upholstery?

And, do those pillowcoverings really help with dust etc? I might give that a try.

Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-24-2011 at 11:32 AM.

I typically wash the comforter and pillows twice a year...

All of my upholstered furniture is covered with quilts, slipcovers or something, because I have 3 indoor dogs and a very hairy cat. (Actually, I have a huge mound of hair with a little bit of cat underneath it.)

I wash those covers frequently, and that is probably the only reason my house does not smell like a kennel. (Or a cathouse. )

Gotta go home tonight and do the laundry--got company coming tomorrow.