Community Message Boards

Thread: Fixing Torn Down Comforter

Fixing Torn Down Comforter

I noticed down escaping from my comforter and tracked down a small rip in the fabric.

Is there anything that can be used to seal it - I'm more concerned with functionality than what the patch would look like.

I don't think iron on patches are practical since I can't imagine ironing a down comforter.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

If you're not concerned with how it looks, is there any reason why you can't just stitch it up with a needle & thread??

I was just wondering whether there was a special expertise for that in terms of creating holes.

But you are right and I am probably ignoring the obvious solution. Sewing skipped a generation because my grandmother and mother were such expert tailors/seamstresses that they did everything for me .
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

How about Mighty Mendit (although I have never used it).

https://www.mightymendittv.com/flare...=mightymendit&

If it is a small opening, I'd probably just pull it together and stitch it. If it's more of a hole or larger opening -- to the point it would pull out of shape, you might want to sew a patch over the hole. You could probably shake enough down away from the area to work something with an iron on approach, but you'd have to have something behind the patch or carefully seal only the edges to avoid getting the down stuck to the patch.

Company Store reworks old comforters too -- if it gets to that point.

I have done this. In order to avoid creating a pucker in the comforter, I cut a piece of fabric a bit larger than the tear. Place the patch on the inside of the hole, then sew all the way around it with a tight blanket stitch. We kept ours for several more years after I patched it this way.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I would stitch it and then also put a patch over it to reinforce it. Down has a way of working its way out of openings otherwise. But it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.
    Chacun à son goût!