Community Message Boards

Thread: Three Aarti Party recipe reviews: Vindaloo, Massaged Kale salad, and

Three Aarti Party recipe reviews: Vindaloo, Massaged Kale salad, and

I did a search for these, and don't think they've been reviewed here. Since I'm not on a regular computer, I'm just going to copy in the URL for each recipe.

Baked Samosas with Mint Chutney: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    Oh, my goodness were these good!! I've got a favorite new appetizer now. I did not make the dough from scratch, but instead used puff pastry as she suggested. Since some of the reviews suggested that there was too much heat, I started with 2 tablespoons of the adobo and was happy I did. That was exactly right for us. The chutney was fantastic too, and a great compliment for the samosas.

Massaged Kale Salad with Mango: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html Kale is in season, but mangos are a little harder to find, but this salad is worth it. Both of my kids even loved it! It keeps well in the fridge, even with the dressing, so this is an excellent choice for lunches. The first time I made it, I had too much lemon juice, so if your lemon is particularly juicy, just beware!

Goan Beef Curry with Vinegar: Beef Vindaloo http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html I know little about Indian cuisine, but I do know that beef is not a typical meat for a curry. Aarti explained that she grew up with Portuguese influence, so she cooks with beef often. ? Even if this isn't traditional, it was a truly amazing dish...my entire family loved it! I made it as written, except that I did not have cinnamon sticks, so I used a teaspoon of cinnamon. It made the whole house smell great! DH bought some naan at the store, but when we have more time, we'll make the chapatis.

This is the time of year when I feel like I'm in a food rut, because it's kind of hard to find fresh produce, and I get tired of the comfort foods like beef stew and chicken pot pie that we're excited to make at the start of cold weather. Aarti's recipes have been fun and unusual, so I thought I'd share!
    Last edited by krhm; 01-28-2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Was going to edit to correct the unfinished title, but it won't let me!

Those all sound so good! I want to make all of them. I have had great success with the recipes of hers that I have made so far. Thanks for the reviews!

Those sound wonderful! I wonder if a mango salad could be the way to get my family to eat kale...

I haven't tried any of Aarti's recipes yet, but after reading through those ones, I wonder when she's going to put out a book! They sound great, and she makes them sound really easy to put together as well.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I have been meaning to try the Baked Samosas. One of her recipe's that I did try and really enjoyed was the Sloppy Bombay Joe's.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Gecko, those are on the menu for this week. Not sure how my family will like the raisins, but they love sloppy joes, so we'll see!

Thanks for posting the reviews. I like her show but haven't mustered the courage to try any of her recipes yet. I'm most curious about that kale salad.
    Tracy
    My food blog: www.rahchachow.blogspot.com