Community Message Boards

Poll: Do you like lobster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like Lobster?

Do you like Lobster?

I'm curious to know whether most people like Lobster? I've never had it before but see my local grocery store has lobster tails on sale for $9.99 each. My husband has said he doesn't care for it. Is he in the minority or the majority?

I love it but much prefer it fresh in areas that it's caught like Maine/Mass etc. If I'm having it elsewhere I generally like it better if it's part of something like lobster mac and cheese. Has your DH verbalized what he doesn't like about it? I think it's easily overcooked (as is most shellfish) which makes it rubbery so it may be that he's never had it done properly.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I love, love, love it! The best lobster I ever had was in Athens, Greece, where it was grilled! I can still taste it when I think of it. (and that was ~40 years ago!)

I don't have it often, because it's so rich and expensive to eat out, and DH doesn't care much for it. But it is by far my favorite thing to eat.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

OMG - he is absolutely, completely in the minority! Most people I know like lobster. And I definitely prefer it plain (vs in a dish with other items) so I can really savor the flavors & texture. And forget the butter. Lobster is too expensive a vehicle for melted butter. Use the bread for that.

I've never cooked it at home, but DH has. You should give it a try!

We like it a lot, but don't get to eat it very often...usually too expensive.

We were in Maine several years ago and ate whole lobster at a lobster pound...devine! We ate lobster every day we were there. Never had a better one yet!
    Last edited by dishtodish; 02-09-2011 at 05:22 PM.

I love, love, love lobster, but don't have it that often - too expensive.

When I do have it, I prefer it simply done - properly cooked, and drawn butter on the side.

If it is overcooked, it does get very rubbery, and is a complete waste of a perfectly good lobster in my opinion. But as someone else mentioned, this is the case with most shellfish, and fish in general, IMHO.

So, what time should all of us lobster lovers come over for dinner???? lol

Enjoy your lobster if you get it!

Jamie

I love lobster. In my area, a lot of grocery stores keep them live in a aquarium.

I think liking lobster depends on the kids of meats you enjoy. I do not have much of a sweet tooth, especially when it comes to meats. Sweet glazes, sweet meats, etc. are just not my thing. Lobster is very sweet to me. That's why I don't care for it. I LOVE crab. Its less sweet.

I do not like lobster, but I know I am in the minority. I also hate shrimp (although I love most other kinds of seafood) so I recognize that I am kind of weird!
    ~Moneypenny~

I like it, and like it quite well, but shrimp is actually my crustacean of choice.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Love lobster. We ate it whenever we could during a trip to Maine to visit friends and family a couple years ago. I love crab and shrimp too but lobster is in a class by itself, probably because we don't get it here.
    Anne

I can only remember having it twice and wasn't blown away by it. Maybe it's location, but I'd rather have shrimp. I love good crab too. I'd like to try some lobster when in the northeast (or Greece, if that ever happens) but until then, shrimp is what we do best here, crab when in San Francisco.

Love it, or used to. It doesn't like me (shellfish allergy) and I can't have it (or crab ) anymore. Took a looooong time before I could go out to a restaurant and not care that everyone else in the party ordered it (we live in MA and lobster is usually always on the menu, any menu, especially in the summer).
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I don't think I've ever met a crustacean or bivalve I didn't like . Lobster is widely available here both cooked and live, but you don't see it much on menus (but, OMG, Michael Mina's lobster pot pie!) except for lobster rolls. I suppose because this is crab country? Or the focus on local foods? I've never cooked it myself but do buy it in summer for corn chowder. Had a killer lobster roll over the holidays but definitely riiiiiiiiich.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love lobster and all other shellfish. Have had it fresh in Maine and Prince Edward Island, have to say I preferred the ones from PEI.

I have bought the rock lobster tails that are sold frozen and have found them to be very good, certainly not as good as fresh caught but then what is as good as fresh?

I simply cut the shells, pull the meat out on top(still attached), and season with garlic butter. Bake at 350º for about 15 minutes or until it reaches 140º. It's important not to overcook since they become dry and tough.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I love lobster now but hated it as a kid. My husband doesn't care for it at all.

I love lobster. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Except when it's overcooked--because then it's just yucky.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Both DH and I really enjoy lobster. DH prefers it with drawn butter and I like it plain. However I was raised in Vancouver and grew up with crab (dungeness was 3 for $1.00 down at the marina) and that is my all time favourite, preferably cold

I tell people I do not like it but actually I find it very rich and so I only need a couple of bites. I don't want to spend that kind of money on something to only have a couple of bites. DH of course doesn't mind if I don't eat it all
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

We love lobster! We buy it once or twice a year live from an aquarium. I tried a couple frozen tails last month and found them slightly rubbery. Make sure the ones you get are from cold water, but don't expect the same wonderful taste that you'll get with a live lobster.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/buyi...ster_tails.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I love it but much prefer it fresh in areas that it's caught like Maine/Mass etc.
    Same here. Our family once went on a slow drive up the New England coast and feasted on lobster every day. Heaven. On the other hand, commercials for "Red Lobster" turn me off.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I love lobster! Unfortunately, it is so expensive. I have had such a craving for it lately.. Since Valentine's Day is coming up, the grocery stores may have a special on them.

Swedish Cook- The Red Lobster commercials look good to me, but if you go in for , let's say, the shrimp specials, it looks nothing like their commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    On the other hand, commercials for "Red Lobster" turn me off.
    Fortunately I've been spared the commercials but twice had to go to one of their restaurants with my mother. Expensive bad food in a generic chain dining room...definitely not "good eats". Fortunately, after the second time, she said, "If I ever suggest this again, will you please refuse to go?"
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You forgot obligatory other.
    If it is overcooked and rock hard/mealy, I do not like it, otherwise, LOVE IT!
    Maybe he has never had a well prepared lobster.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would probably also vote for obligatory other. I don't dislike lobster, but I don't like it enough to justify the high price and the hassle of eating it.
    Alicia

I like lobster, but don't love it. I own a lobster boat and fish 100 traps in the summer. In fact, I have 35 lbs of lobster in the freezer....

Quote Originally Posted by doglady8 View Post
    I like lobster, but don't love it. I own a lobster boat and fish 100 traps in the summer. In fact, I have 35 lbs of lobster in the freezer....
    Dinner at Doglady8's!!!!
    I love lobster, crab, and shrimp. Our favorite restaurant down the shore has lobster stuffed with crab . . . yum!

Love love love lobster - as well as every other kind of shellfish

We used to get live lobsters from the boats at Sheepshead Bay on Sunday and my mother would cook them up - there's that wonderful scene in Annie Hall when the lobster escapes and they pretend to lure it with melted butter.

On the West Coast I generally have lobster in the Chinese seafood restaurants - the ones with the tanks and live fish/crabs. They sell it by the pound and then stir fry it up with amazing garlic black bean sauce - yum.

I haven't had that much luck with lobster tails - I don't know whether it's my cooking technique or inferior product.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Doglady8, you're my new best friend.

That said, yes, I LOVE lobster. I like it grilled or boiled, with butter and LOTS of lemon.

I love lobster! BUT...I make it a practice to never eat it unless I'm in New England and preferably, north of the Maine/New Hampshire border!

My brother and s-i-l spent a week in Maine a few years ago...the first time they'd ever been anywhere near the area. They didn't try lobster though. Why? They'd had it at a local restaurant (upstate SC) and thought "it was tough". Ya think?