Community Message Boards

Thread: Dorie Greenspan's Asian Slaw

Thumbs up Dorie Greenspan's Asian Slaw

This recipe was in last week's Parade Magazine and it was a big hit here, especially with SO, who's not a fan of regular cole slaw. I made it as written, but I forgot the optional sesame seeds/peanuts. It went really well with CL Asian Barbecue Chicken.

Asian Slaw

4 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup shredded carrots

1 small onion, finely chopped

Pinch of salt and pepper

1½ Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar

1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1¼ tsp Asian sesame oil

½ tsp sriracha (see below)

¼ tsp sugar

1 Tbsp sesame seeds or chopped peanuts (optional)

1. Toss cabbage, carrots, onion, and salt in a bowl. Season with pepper.

2. Whisk together vinegar, mayonnaise, sesame oil, sriracha, and sugar until smooth. Taste; add pinch of salt if needed.

3. Pour dressing over shredded vegetables and toss to combine. Serve slaw immediately or chill for a few hours, tossing again before serving. Finish with a shower of sesame seeds or some chopped peanuts, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:

Serves: 4 Per serving: 70 calories, 8g carbs, 1g protein, 3g fat, 360mg sodium, 2g fiber, no cholesterol

Recipe by Dorie Greenspan
    Parade Magazine 2/20/11
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

I make something similar to this as we enjoy non-traditional slaws. Always a nice change of pace for sure.

I use napa cabbage, scallions (instead of onion), rice vinegar (not seasoned), and generally leave out the mayo but do add in a bit of oil (or sometimes plain yogurt when the mood strikes). Shredded daikon is another nice addition to a slaw like this.

We like non-traditional slaws, too. This looks really good. Thanks for posting it.