Community Message Boards

Thread: Difference between white cake mix and yellow cake mix?

Difference between white cake mix and yellow cake mix?

Don't hate me, but I'm thinking about making a Pig Cake recipe I found over yonder on Pioneer Woman's website, which uses a Yellow Boxed Cake Mix. So, I have a box of White Cake mix that I have no plans for....I'm sure I can substitute it but it got me wondering, what's the difference between white cake and yellow cake mix? Is there something I should add to the white cake mix to make it taste like the yellow one?

In recipes, the difference between a white cake and a yellow cake is egg yolks, but I took a look at the recipe and I don't think it would make that much of a difference here. Enjoy!

There really isn't a big difference except a yellow cake mix uses the whole egg, whereas a white cake mix uses just the whites. I don't think there is a huge taste difference.

ETA -- posted at the same time as erin elizabeth.

Interesting....I went to Duncan Hines sight and found that the ingredients you add (water, oil and eggs) is the same for of their white and yellow cake mix. The white cake mix has some soy and wheat products that the yellow one doesn't have, and the yellow one has yellow and red food coloring in it.

Good to know, I don't think there will be a big taste difference either...so I'll just use that box and save $2!

Don't know about the mixes, but I recently made DH a white cake from scratch for his birthday. A couple of days ago I made a yellow cake from scratch for another occasion. IMO the yellow cake was much more moist and light and just all around had the better flavor of the two. I think the addition of the egg yolks is what makes the difference. But I think for your purposes for the cake you're making, either would be fine.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Just wondering...........are there recipes for home made cake mixes? Something maybe that could be made up ahead of time, probably stored in the freezer, but ready to sub for a recipe calling for a cake mix?
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Just wondering...........are there recipes for home made cake mixes? Something maybe that could be made up ahead of time, probably stored in the freezer, but ready to sub for a recipe calling for a cake mix?
    Hi, I don't know if this will help, but it is all I could find so far.

Chocolate Cake/Brownie Mix

3 cups sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups unsweetened baking cocoa powder
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Plastic bags make good containers. Keeps 6 months or even longer in the refrigerator or freezer.

Makes enough for 3 1/2 batches of brownies.

Source: Miami Herald 4-11-1991

Cooks Country recently did a recipe for a cake mix that you stored in a bag in the freezer. I made a double batch and I made one about two weeks ago. It was really good and pretty easy. I don't have my recipe with me but if you want it I can post later.

If I didn't already have a box of white cake mix I probably would just make a yellow cake mix from scratch. I found a recipe over on allrecipes.com that had high ratings. I could spend some timing bagging up the dry ingredients for several cake types - yellow, white, etc, but for me I would just assume measure it out when I need it.

One is white and other is yellow..Sorry what zwieback and elizabeth said is the general notion.

As others have said, I think there is a difference in taste with respect to home made cakes but none for cake mixes.

Don't hate me but so far as I am concerned, cake mix cakes have no real taste except for sweetness. I used to make them when I entertained kids as I would make three dimensional mold cakes and they would decorate them with obscene amounts of frosting and candy so the taste of the cake was irrelevant to their experience.