Community Message Boards

Thread: Apple Shortbread Crisp Recipe From Penzey's

Thumbs up Apple Shortbread Crisp Recipe From Penzey's

This recipe is in their current catalogue. OMG! SO incredibly delicious! I made it for Easter and everyone loved it. The butter base just melts in your mouth. The spices in the apple mixture are perfect. It tastes like the best apple pie, combined with a butter shortbread cookie all in one! A definite repeater for me!

APPLE SHORTBREAD CRISP

SHORTBREAD:

2 cups flour
    1 cup butter, cold, sliced into pieces
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

APPLE FILLING:

6 cups apples (7 medium) **I used McIntosh
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 - 3 tsp. cinnamon (I used 2)
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

CRUMB TOPPING:

1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour (I used regular)
    1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
    1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 brown & 1/2 regular)
    2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine shortbread ingredients. Use 2 forks (I used a pastry blender) work the mixture till it resembles pea sized crumbs. Press into a ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Poke the shortbread with a fork several times. (You have to hold the dough down while doing so, otherwise when you lift the fork us, the crumb comes up) Bake for 15 minutes.

While shortbread is baking, peel core and slice apples. Mix the sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg. Toss with apples.

After 15 minutes, reduce oven temp to 350 and remove shortbread from oven. In a medium bowl, mix the ingredients for the crumb topping. Pour the apples over the shortbread. Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples and spread evenly. Place back in oven and bake till sides of the topping begin to brown and apples are soft about 35 - 45 minutes (I bake mine 40 minutes)

This sounds amazing. I think I have everything I need to make it except apples, but I'm heading into the grocery store anyway. Yum!
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Patty -I looked at that recipe when my Penzey's order arrived last week and I pulled out the new catalog! I'm so glad to hear you tried it and loved it. I'll add that to my list!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

That looks absolutely wonderful! Think I'd better wait until we have company, though... did it cut and serve well? And did you get about 24 bars out of it?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

That recipe popped out at me as well. I'm glad to see a good review of it. Thanks for posting!
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

It didn't quite cut as neatly as the photo but who cares. I did serve alot although I'm not sure how many pieces because everyone went back for seconds! Gosh, I think this is one of the tastiest desserts I've ever made!

Just took this out of the oven and had a test slice. Oh. My. Goodness. I can't believe how good this is. I love the shortbread crust so much more than pie crust. Mine is already slicing perfectly, even though it hasn't yet cooled. This is going to be trouble!
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

I'm so glad you like it. I've been baking for 20 years and I swear this has to be one of the best desserts I've ever made! So buttery and good!

Can't wait to make it.

What kind of apples did you use? At this time of the year we don't have McIntosh in stores.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I agree: much prefer shortbread to pie crust. I don't bake, but I'll be making this one soon - looks amazing!
    I've made only one thing from Penzey's. It used more bowls pots and utensils than any single dish I've made or before. Unbelievable kitchen chaos. And so. darned. good.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    Can't wait to make it.

What kind of apples did you use? At this time of the year we don't have McIntosh in stores.
    I used a mix of Granny Smith, Red Delicious, and Braeburn. They were the only organic varieties available at my local store.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookin4Love View Post
    I used a mix of Granny Smith, Red Delicious, and Braeburn. They were the only organic varieties available at my local store.
    Thanks. I'm waiting for my cinnamon from Penzey's to arrive and I will try it.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Do you think it is possible to half this recipe?

I would. Sometimes I do single portions of dessert recipes and it works.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Against my better judgment I tried this recipe since I had an abundance of apples that needed to be used. It is fantastic! This will be a go to recipe for me. Unfortunately I cannot stop eating it and I'm going to bring the leftovers to the office tomorrow. If it lasts that long.

I have this in the oven now for an Open House tomorrow!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Wow - this is FANTASTIC!!!!! I know everyone is going to love it today at the Open House. Since I have to travel a good distance I opted for homemade whipped cream (I have one of those cannisters that you fill with cream) instead of ice cream. Thank you, Patty for trying this out and letting us know about it!!!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

So glad you liked it Lynne! I was really pleased with this recipe. It is one of the best desserts I've made. I have tried several dessert recipes from Penzey's Catalogues and all have been very good. Now I just need to actually order something from them

My family wouldn't touch it

First let me say, I am not a good baker, so my family probably thought it was not good before even tasting it . I fixed it last Sunday for Mother's Day. I told them I'm the moma so eat it! No one liked it at all, and it did look very dry and crumbly. The whole thing went in the trash. I'm pretty sure it is not the recipe, since all here love it, and it more than likely is the cook's error. I thought I followed the recipe to the letter, I even went out and bought McIntosh apples.
    Finally my family said "Moma just bake your old recipes" and don't try any new ones.... Yep, I'm that bad!

Carolyn.1, my results turned out pretty much like yours. I tossed the dish since no one in the house is eating sweets. Very disappointed but perhaps I did something wrong. I will stick to my stand-by apple crisp from Bon Appetit (for entertaining) which is the absolute best!