Community Message Boards

Thread: Creamy Ravioli with (Summer) Squash, Lemon and Chives

Thumbs up Creamy Ravioli with (Summer) Squash, Lemon and Chives

I'm going to try to stay on top of the summer squash production from our garden...so last night I made this dish that I found on NoblePig.com. I made some modifications according to what I had on hand, and added some Italian sausage for DH's benefit.

Creamy Ravioli with Squash, Lemon and ChivesAdapted from Real Simple (by way of noblepig.com)

16 to 18 ounces cheese ravioli (fresh or frozen) (I used spaghetti)
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 shallot, chopped
    3 summer squash (zucchini and/or yellow squash; about 1-1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
    Kosher salt and black pepper
    3/4 cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half, and a little less)
    1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1/2 cup grated pecorino or Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives (I used a big handful of parsley)

Start by prepping your ingredients; thinly slice your squash, chop your shallot and shred your cheese.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the squash and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cream and lemon zest and cook until the vegetables are tender and the cream is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add squash mixture, pecorino and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water and toss gently to coat (add more cooking water if the pasta seems dry). Serve sprinkled with chives and additional pecorino.

Oh, yum! Lemon, Parmesan, chives, and pasta - looks great!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I bookmarked that last week. Looks so summery.

This sounds wonderful - it's going on next week's menu, since I have leftover half and half from last week's CGOTW.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Patrice

Think I can make this using the fat free half & half...it's what I have on hand

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

This looks great. Thanks for sharing. I thought of this recipe this morning as I bought several herb plants, including one of chives, at the market.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket