Community Message Boards

Thread: Skin-so-soft as bug repellant?

Skin-so-soft as bug repellant?

I've always heard that Avon's Skin So Soft lotion works pretty well as a bug repellant...like anything not intended for the purpose, I'm sure results vary. Do you have personal experience with this? I know they now make SSS bug repellant, but I'm not sure how that's much different than other bug repellants; I am more interested in a lotion that might work.

I don't know about nowadays, but years ago, yes, SSS was also used as a bug repellent. They didn't sell it as such, just word got around. The formula today for their lotions may be different, now that they are making their own bug repellent. I used to sell Avon (5 years) and the foil wrapped samples of SSS were great to keep in my purse just for that special need.

SSS never worked for me.

Although I never tried it myself, I have friends that swear by it.

Maybe it works in some places, but it certainly doesn't work here in Wisconsin where the mosquito is the state bird.

The worst camping trip ever was the one where we took SSS and had no regular repellant.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

It worked well for my kids when they were little. I use the SSS bug spray, and it is extremely effective for me. It makes the difference in being able to go out and not go out once the mosquitos are active.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

For those of you who use the SSS bug spray, what is different between that and something I can just go to Target and buy? I might order the lotion and see if it works for my body chemistry, but I don't love the idea of having to spray on a chemical every time I go outside. But maybe that's what it takes...