Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Tony Horton's eating cleanse - the results

  1. #1

    Tony Horton's eating cleanse - the results

    Well, I'm on day 23 of Tony Horton's eating "cleanse". This month I've progressively eliminated alcohol, caffeine, all forms of sugar, gluten, dairy, and animal products from my diet. It has been tough but I've stuck to it. The final day is this Saturday (for a total of 4 weeks).

    What has been shocking to me is that so far there has been no positive changes as a result of doing this. I haven't lost weight or inches. My sleep and exercise patterns are the same. My digestive habits, skin, and mood are unchanged. I used to be a two-desserts-a-day girl so thought that by cutting out sugar alone I would have experienced some positive change, but no.

    Can anyone help me understand why this happened?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    Simple. If you continue to eat the same amount of calories regardless of source you won't loose weight. I've long been a doubter of the "cleanse" mentality. Unless you have a medical condition that causes a reaction to the eliminated stuff it's really not going to change anything. It goes to the old saying "everything in moderation".


    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NashVegas, baby!
    Posts
    5,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Simple. If you continue to eat the same amount of calories regardless of source you won't loose weight. I've long been a doubter of the "cleanse" mentality. Unless you have a medical condition that causes a reaction to the eliminated stuff it's really not going to change anything. It goes to the old saying "everything in moderation".
    What she said.

    If your body needs, say 2000 calories to stay at the same weight with your activity level, it doesn't matter if that 2000 calories consists of 100% Twinkies or organic carb-free vegetables ... your weight and size will not change.

    Your body and digestive system don't need to be "cleansed." That's what your liver, kidneys, and intestines are for. Might eliminating caffeine and sugar help your overall health and mood? Sure. Will eating more fiber help your digestive system? Of course. Is eating more nutrient dense foods always a good choice? Absolutely. But there are no "toxins" that need to be purged from your system by virtue of eating a special diet. Your fat stores aren't going to melt because you have stopped eating gluten. "Cleanses" are pseudoscience AT BEST.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

    "If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    What she said.

    If your body needs, say 2000 calories to stay at the same weight with your activity level, it doesn't matter if that 2000 calories consists of 100% Twinkies or organic carb-free vegetables ... your weight and size will not change.

    Your body and digestive system don't need to be "cleansed." That's what your liver, kidneys, and intestines are for. Might eliminating caffeine and sugar help your overall health and mood? Sure. Will eating more fiber help your digestive system? Of course. Is eating more nutrient dense foods always a good choice? Absolutely. But there are no "toxins" that need to be purged from your system by virtue of eating a special diet. Your fat stores aren't going to melt because you have stopped eating gluten. "Cleanses" are pseudoscience AT BEST.
    Thanks ladies. My calorie intake likely hasn't changed since I haven't experienced a drop or spike in energy level. I have long been an advocate of the everything in moderation approach to eating, but always wondered if I ate perfectly would I feel or look different. Now I know the answer to that! I think I was just surprised that there was no impact at all to any aspect of my health.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NashVegas, baby!
    Posts
    5,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    always wondered if I ate perfectly would I feel or look different
    And there's your problem. Eat "perfectly?" According to who? There's no such thing.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

    "If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

  6. #6
    I (mostly) eliminated grains, high carb veggies and sugar from my diet--and have lost 30 pounds since December. Not cleansing (I say pseudo-science, too) but trying to lower my blood sugar.

    I really don't know how you could fail to lose after cutting all that stuff out--tell us what you did eat?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
    I (mostly) eliminated grains, high carb veggies and sugar from my diet--and have lost 30 pounds since December.
    Kiddos to you Dieting is tough !

  8. #8
    It's the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life! :-) I haven't had any form of sugar since April. I've eaten a lot more fruit - smoothies made with soy milk or almond milk have been a daily occurence. I've always eaten a lot of beans and tofu, and that continued - but I have eaten more nuts and nut butters than usual. Since I had to cut out a lot of grains to be gluten-free, I've eaten more rice and rice noodles, and gluten-free oats. My veggie intake has been average.

    I didn't have much (if any) weight to lose...I'm a size 4 endurance athlete and work out 2-3 hours daily. But I'm surprised there were no changes with anything else or any other benefits that I've read others experienced (i.e. improved sleep, more muscle tone, more energy, clear skin, improved digestion, feeling ligter, etc.).

    It just doesn't make sense that eating sugar (more than average I'm sure), animal products, alcohol, etc. would have the exact same effect as eating a "clean" diet.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post

    I didn't have much (if any) weight to lose...I'm a size 4 endurance athlete and work out 2-3 hours daily. But I'm surprised there were no changes with anything else or any other benefits that I've read others experienced (i.e. improved sleep, more muscle tone, more energy, clear skin, improved digestion, feeling ligter, etc.).

    It just doesn't make sense that eating sugar (more than average I'm sure), animal products, alcohol, etc. would have the exact same effect as eating a "clean" diet.
    I'm guessing you didn't see much of a difference because you are in great shape. If you did have some weight to lose or were kind of sluggish, etc. I bet you would have noticed more of a difference and possible weight loss. Before you started this diet, were you having sleeping problems, poor muscle tone, no energy, blotchy skin, digestion problems??

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Heading WEST!!
    Posts
    15,424
    "Cleansing" diets are meaningless to me. Our liver, lungs, kidneys and colon cleanse us every day. Food cannot cleanse you. Can it make your organs function slightly better because you are not taxing them as much...possibly, but honestly, our bodies are made to handle a lot of abuse (hopefully we don't test it).

    If you are trying to do a low-carb diet to lose weight, fruit and fruit smoothies are the same as eating candy. Yes, fruit has healthy aspects to it compared to sugar, but the pancreas reacts to glucose in the blood stream and dumps out insulin whether you ate a candybar or an apple.

    Robyn, I hate to disagree about calories in/calories out. Reading Gary Taubes really altered how I felt about that. We were trained that this was fact, but hormones really rule our bodies.

    An example with female rats fed "X" amount of calories. These little gals had no choice on how much they ate. They took these SAME RATS and took out their ovaries. They fed them the SAME amount of food to the SAME rats, minus their ovaries...they got huge. Same calories....different hormones.
    I think this is why it is so difficult to categorize which diet "works" for everyone===we are all different.

    I was sad to read Taubes' latest book..and for some of us, even if we do low carb, our body will stabilize at a certain level and not lose much.
    Of course, I am not comparing someone in starvation, who no doubt would lose regardless of hormones, but who would subject themselves to that sort of weight loss.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    It just doesn't make sense that eating sugar (more than average I'm sure), animal products, alcohol, etc. would have the exact same effect as eating a "clean" diet.
    It does if there's nothing actually *wrong* with any of those things you cut out. "Clean" is not a nutritional descriptor, it's a moral one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    It's the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life! :-) I haven't had any form of sugar since April. I've eaten a lot more fruit - smoothies made with soy milk or almond milk have been a daily occurence. I've always eaten a lot of beans and tofu, and that continued - but I have eaten more nuts and nut butters than usual. Since I had to cut out a lot of grains to be gluten-free, I've eaten more rice and rice noodles, and gluten-free oats. My veggie intake has been average.......
    Smoothies are very calorie and sugar dense. And nuts and nut butters are so calorie and fat dense. I bet those two things have made up for more calories than you eliminated.

    I also agree that if you are in that good of shape you simply don't have a lot to lose.

    I had to do an elimination diet once due to my IBS - about 8 weeks and it was awful. Worth it to find out my triggers but man it was hard. I didn't lose anything but I did deflate, lol. I think that we do tend to eat the same amount of calories when we eliminate some foods but don't necessarily watch calories.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    Well, I'm on day 23 of Tony Horton's eating "cleanse". This month I've progressively eliminated alcohol, caffeine, all forms of sugar, gluten, dairy, and animal products from my diet. It has been tough but I've stuck to it. The final day is this Saturday (for a total of 4 weeks).

    What has been shocking to me is that so far there has been no positive changes as a result of doing this. I haven't lost weight or inches. My sleep and exercise patterns are the same. My digestive habits, skin, and mood are unchanged. I used to be a two-desserts-a-day girl so thought that by cutting out sugar alone I would have experienced some positive change, but no.

    Can anyone help me understand why this happened?
    Dear God and I was trying to figure out why Tim Horton had a cleansing diet! OK Now I'm on the same page.

    I too don't believe in cleansing diets, but I have found that maintaining the same diet and exercise regime can lead to plateauing. The brain and metablosim is trying to read the game plan and keep you from starving .

    Have you tried alternating your training and intake program so that by the end of the week your total is same but you keep the brain guessing? Weight Watcher participants devised a Wendies Plan. The new 17 day diet is similar. It works on cycles that keeps the metabolism changing.

    I do think certain people would benefit from reducing or eliminating gluten in their diets and you certainly would benefit from reducing refined sugar. My son sent me the Ultramind Diet which starts with an extensive self-assessment and temporary elimination of sugar, gluten, caffeine, lactose etc. At least there is an good rating on your behaviors and health as you start and resume certain products. BTW, as a young single he found it impossible to follow even if he thought it was reasonable.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    7,848
    While I have the same opinion of cleanse diets as several people above, I'm really surprised you haven't noticed any difference at all. Since you don't need to lose weight & are an endurance athlete, the maintained weight level isn't a surprise (I did a massive, year-long training regimen for a major endurance race a few years ago and only lost 5 pounds!).

    But, I would have expected a change in skin, sleep or energy levels.

    Really interesting test! glad you're doing it on all of our behalf :-)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't see much of a difference because you are in great shape. If you did have some weight to lose or were kind of sluggish, etc. I bet you would have noticed more of a difference and possible weight loss. Before you started this diet, were you having sleeping problems, poor muscle tone, no energy, blotchy skin, digestion problems??
    Zwieback posted my thoughts exactly...especially considering that I know you personally and you live one of the healthiest lifestyles of anyone that I know. While you cut out refined sugars, if you were making a lot of fruit smoothies you were probably compensating with natural sugars. I know you don't consume a lot of alcohol anyway so I wouldn't expect much of a difference there. Ultimately I like that you seem to have given validity to your "everything in moderation" approach which is what I believe as well.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    While I have the same opinion of cleanse diets as several people above, I'm really surprised you haven't noticed any difference at all. Since you don't need to lose weight & are an endurance athlete, the maintained weight level isn't a surprise (I did a massive, year-long training regimen for a major endurance race a few years ago and only lost 5 pounds!).

    But, I would have expected a change in skin, sleep or energy levels.

    Really interesting test! glad you're doing it on all of our behalf :-)

    You hit the nail on the head...I did it as a test. I already felt great eating all things in moderation (no health issues at all), including all of the perceived toxins that I gave up this month (sugar, alcohol, gluten, caffeine, dairy, etc.). But have often wondered what would happen if I instead of cookies and cake I ate fruit? Or instead of wine or coffee I just had water or herbal tea? What if I stopped eating bread? I assumed that if I ate only whole, healthy plant-based foods for a consistent period of time that I would feel and look even better, and notice a significant difference in some aspect of my overall health. It wasn't about losing weight, it was more about what would the effect(s) be of radically changing the way I eat supposedly for the better.

    I don't think the smoothies were as calorie dense as the 3 brownies I would often eat after dinner since I made them at home (1 cup of almond milk or soy milk and 1 cup fresh fruit), and in theory I would have thought that I would have benefited from reducing refined sugar, but that hasn't been the case. But I will say that the withdrawal headaches I got each week when I eliminated something new were awful!

    Thanks for everyone's input...it has been fascinating. :-)

    Zackaboo - the last sweet I had was Chrissy's pound cake on April 30th. Can you believe it? Me!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dadeville, AL
    Posts
    12,868
    Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Dear God and I was trying to figure out why Tim Horton had a cleansing diet!
    LOL! Cleaned the holes right out of the donuts!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga0829 View Post
    Zackaboo - the last sweet I had was Chrissy's pound cake on April 30th. Can you believe it? Me!!
    That is a bit hard to believe! You eat dessert much more regularly than I do. But if I know you, you already have your first sweet treat (post-cleanse) planned out!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •