Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone catch the Diners, Drive-in and Dives where...

Anyone catch the Diners, Drive-in and Dives where...

Guy did an episode on Kansas City BBQ. One of the recipes featured was a rub with turmeric. I've looked on the website but no go. I'm just interested in what other ingredients went into the rub so if you can help, great. TIA!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

We saw it! All we remember is ginger and cardamon But it looks like it will be aired several more times this week, plus many of the places have links to their web-sites from the show.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

It does look like it will run again this weekend. Thanks. I wasn't having much luck finding that yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    Guy did an episode on Kansas City BBQ. One of the recipes featured was a rub with turmeric. I've looked on the website but no go. I'm just interested in what other ingredients went into the rub so if you can help, great. TIA!
    If you get the recipe, would you mind posting it here please?

Yes I will, but I have an idea it will just be ingredients not portions but it will be a place to start!

Unfortunately, the rub recipe wasn't given on the show (apparently a restaurant secret), but here are the other recipes featured, if anyone is interested.

Kansas City-Style Burnt Ends

Recipe courtesy Phil Hopkins, co-owner of Smokin' Guns BBQ in North Kansas City, MO. Show: Diners, Drive-ins and DivesEpisode: Kansas City Barbecue Tour.Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients

Rub Ingredients:
    1/2 cup salt
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup paprika
    6 tablespoons black pepper
    3 tablespoons onion powder
    3 tablespoons garlic powder
    3 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoons cayenne
    1 (10 to 12 pound whole, packer trim beef brisket
    Directions
    Sift all of the rub ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.

Trim all the hard fat from the brisket. Trim all the soft fat to 1/4-inch. Prepare a smoker or a grill, following manufacturers directions. Stabilize the temperature at 220 degrees F. Use a mild wood such as hickory or cherry for the smoke flavor. Generously cover all sides of the brisket with the rub and gently massage it in. Reserve the leftover rub. Smoke the meat for about 1 hour per pound. For example, a 10 pound brisket may need to smoke for about 10 or more hours. Monitor the internal temperature. When the brisket reaches 170 to 185 degrees F, on an instant-read thermometer, in the flat part of the brisket, remove the brisket from the smoker.

Separate the point of the meat from the flat. At this time you can slice the flat part of the brisket and eat. Trim the visible fat from the brisket point and coat it with the reserved rub. Return the meat to the smoker and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the brisket point reaches 200 degrees F. Remove the brisket from the smoker to a cutting board and let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes. Cut into chunks and transfer them to a serving platter. Serve it hot with your favorite sauce on the side.

* Restaurant Recipe
    This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Pulled Pork with Some Serious Bite
    Recipe courtesy Johnny White, owner of Johnny's Bar-B-Q in Mission, KS. Show: Diners, Drive-ins and DivesEpisode: Kansas City Barbecue Tour. Yield:12 to 15 servings .

Ingredients
    Johnnys All-Purpose Rub: A Kansas City Award Winner
    (Use this on everything)
    5 cups kosher salt
    2 1/4 cups paprika (for color)
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons celery powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    1 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 cup black pepper
    1 tablespoon powdered vegetable oil
    3 to 5 pounds pork butt, rinsed with cold water

Directions
    Add all of the rub ingredients to a small bowl or container and mix well. To make this a special spicy rub, add 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper. Now you have a real rockin' rub!

Heat a smoker to 225 degrees F.

Generously rub the entire butt with 1 1/2 cups Johnny's All-Purpose Seasoning. Put it in a pan, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove pork from the refrigerator, uncover and put it in the smoker for approximately 7 to 8 hours. Cooks Note: This can also be cooked in a home oven at 425 degrees F for 2 hours. Remove the pork from the smoker to a cutting board and pull pork apart while still hot. You are now ready to serve it your favorite way.

* Restaurant Recipe
    This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Jalapeno Sausage

Recipe courtesy Bob Palmgren, owner of R.J's Bob-Be-Que Shack in Mission, Kansas. Show: Diners, Drive-ins and DivesEpisode: Kansas City Barbecue Tour. Yield:4 to 6 servings .

Ingredients
    16 corn husks
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2-ounce chicken base dissolved in 2 ounces cold water
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 cup chopped and seeded jalapenos
    1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 1/2 pounds coarsely ground pork butt

Directions
    Heat a smoker or grill to 250 degrees F.

Soak corn husks in warm water for 15 minutes. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add the ground pork. Combine well. Put approximately 6 ounces of the sausage mixture 8 of the open wet corn husks. Put another corn husk on top and wrap and tie each end with string. Smoke until the sausage temperature reaches 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the husks to a serving platter and serve.

* Restaurant Recipe
    --------------------------------------------------------

Three Bean Burnt End Chili:

Recipe courtesy Frank Schloegel and Mark O'Bryan, Owner and Pit Master at Woodyard Bar-B-Que in Kansas City, KS. Show: Diners, Drive-ins and DivesEpisode: Kansas City Barbecue Tour

Burnt Ends:
    Whole brisket, about 9 pounds
    Kosher salt, enough to cover the brisket
    Woodyard Original Sauce

Heat a smoker or grill to medium. Season fleshy side of the brisket with kosher salt.

Sear the fleshy side of brisket on the grill, close to the coals for about 10 to 15 minutes. Flip the brisket and lightly sear the fatty side until a red-orange crust is formed. Raise the brisket to a higher level of the grill and continue to cook over indirect heat until fork tender. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board.

Separate the flat and the point with a sharp butchers knife. Remove the point while still hot and put the point and the flat back on the grill, taking care not to scorch the meat. Continue cooking until most of the fat has rendered or liquefied, about 15 minutes. Remove it from the grill and trim off the fat and any burned portions. The grain in the point runs in several different directions so care needs to be taken when slicing. Slice the meat on an angle, between 3/8 to 1/2-inch thick, until the entire point is sliced. Begin chopping those slices at a 90 degree angle to attain the desired size chunks of the points. Put the chunks into a pan and add about 6 ounces of Woodyard Original Sauce, per pound of meat, then put the pan back on grill. Leave uncovered to allow it to smoke until a glaze is formed on the surface. Remove the pan from the grill and allow meat to rest and set, about 20 to 30 minutes. Ready to add to the Three Bean Chili.

Three Bean Chili:

10 pounds ground beef
    2 large white onions, diced
    4 ounces chili powder (8 tablespoons)
    6 ounces ground cumin (12 tablespoons)
    4 ounces cayenne (8 tablespoons)
    6 ounces paprika (12 tablespoons)
    1 (64-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (64-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (64-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (64-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 (64-ounce) can crushed tomatoes

Put the beef into a large roasting pan and put it on the smoker. Smoke the meat until a firm crust forms, roughly 40 minutes. Remove it from the grill and add it to your favorite skillet over medium heat to begin browning.

In another large skillet over medium heat add the diced onions. Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne and paprika. Cook until the mixture is well blended, then add the smoked ground beef. Brown the mixture until fully cooked. Add the black beans, red beans and red kidney beans with diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes to a large stock pot and mix well. Add the ground beef mixture and stir until combined. Cover and simmer for roughly 1 hour.

Serve the chili as a base with the desired amount of burnt ends on top and add your favorite fixin's, such as corn chips, sour cream, jalapenos, red onions and/or shredded cheese

* Restaurant Recipe
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Woodyard, "a one-of-a kind rub for baby back ribs". (recipe not given).

Woodyard Bar-B-Que, 3001 Merriam Ln, Kansas City, KS 66106(913)236-6666
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Thanks Selma, the Burnt Ends is a little bit different than the one I just made. This one has cumin for one thing. Love cumin, will have to try it.

Just after I read part of this thread I was channel serfing and saw the show on the bar b que. Oh did all the selections and food look delicious! How they made the rub, even serving a version of the Philly cheesesteak.

My memory slips me, was the restaurant featuring one of the specialities a large red building? Was that the one in Kansas? They even featured a bar b q place in Mass..

I should have taped/tvo'd the one featuring the speial rub. Hope they will repeat that show again so I can be ready to copy. It all looked so darn good and tender.

Ooooh, I hope they replay this one. I've been meaning to go to some of these places. I've been to Johnny's and RJs so far and meaning to get to Woodyards.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Woodyards was the one with the recipe I was looking for. We actually got to catch the replay. I was getting miffed because I thought we'd missed the recipe in the replay but it was the last one featured.

I don't have the list with me but I do remember the turmeric, sea salt, cardamon. I will grab it and post.

ETA: Clove and Lemon Pepper were the other ingredients.
    Last edited by donleyk; 06-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.

We smoked a chicken (beer can) for Father's day and used this rub. My portions are below:

1T turmeric
    1T lemon Pepper
    1 T Arizona Spice (Penzeys)
    1t cardamon
    1t sea salt
    1/4 clove

We added the Arizona for a little kick. We like this. I may up the turmeric next time. Nice color on the chicken. I rub it on and under the skin.

I caught it and used tvo to roll it back and watch the recipe in slow mp from phil...using proportions, my wife and I created a recipe that I now use for briskets and butts. This is the only rub I use and was far better than Nythin we were making ourselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't look exactly like smokin guns hot...but that is likely a quality of ingredients issue.

Ps- the recipe in above posts is not what he made on the show.