Community Message Boards

Thread: Summer Drinks Without "Booze"

Summer Drinks Without "Booze"

Hi, while visiting the steamykitchen.com and drooling over their mushroom steak, I found this. It just sounds so good.

Thai Iced Coffee

Servings: serves 4 Prep Time: 5 Cook Time: 15
    When making Thai Iced Coffee, I brew very strong coffee by doubling the amount of coffee grounds than I normally use. This makes sure that the iced coffee is perfectly balanced and not diluted. If you can't find whole cardamom pods, substitute with 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom. Big thanks to Adam and Joanne for helping me with this recipe!

Ingredients:
    4 cups double-strength brewed coffee
    2 cups half-and-half or cream
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar (add more to taste)
    3 cardamom pods (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom)
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    ice

Directions:
    1. The first step is to smash the cardamom pods to release its flavor and aroma. You can do this with your mortar & pestle - just gently tap the pods until the outer shell is cracked. If you don't have a mortar & pestle, place the pods on a cutting board and with a heavy chef's knife, use the bottom of the handle to smash the pod.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring half-and-half or cream, sugar and cardamom pods to a simmer, turn off the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
    Remove the cardamom pods then add the almond extract.

3. Fill 4 tall glasses to the brim with ice. Divide the flavored half-and-half or cream between each of the 4 glasses. Then slowly pour the coffee into each glass.

Here is a very simple recipe, but with a different twist on making it.

Old Fashioned Lemonade

4 lemons
    3/4 cups sugar
    1 qt. (4 cups) water
    Ice cubes

Cut lemons into thin slices;remove seeds. Place in large bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Press fruit with a potato masher or back of a spoon to extract juice. Add water, pressing fruit until well flavored. Remove fruite slices. Serve over ice cubes. If desired, garnish with lemon slices.
    5 (1 cup) servings

Source: Pillsbury Kitchens Family Cookbook-1979

This recipe sounds like it would be something really good if you have a lot of kids thirsts to quench this summer.

Orange Sherbet Punch
    makes 12 servings

"This great-tasting drink is reminiscent of the classic Dreamsicles that used to be sold from the neighborhood ice cream truck."

4 cups chilled orange juice
    1 cup milk
    3 TB sugar
    2 tsp grated orange peel
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1 cup chilled sparkling water
    1 qt. orange sherbet

Combine orange juice, milk, sugar, orange peel and nutmeg in large pitcher. Mix until sugar dissolves.

Pour sparkling water into orange juice mixture and stir to blend. Scoop sherbet into large glass punch bowl. Pour punch over and serve immediately.

Source: Bon Appetit-June 1996

Coriander, Ginger, and Chili Lassi
    (Spicy Yogurt Cooler) India

4 cups well-chilled plain yogurt
    1 cup fresh coriander sprigs,(cilantro) washed well, spun dry, and chopped coarse
    1 TB chopped peeled fresh gingerroot
    1 fresh serrano chili, seeded and chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin

In a blender blend together lassi ingredients until smooth and pale green, about 1 minute. Serve lassi in chilled glasses. Makes about 9 cups.

Source: Gourmet-August 1996

Tomango Tango Twisters

1 ripe mango
    2 TB chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    1 1/4 cup tomato juice
    1/4 fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp Tabasco
    1/4 tsp salt

Peel mango and cut flesh from pit. Chop enough mango to measure 1 cup and in a blender puree with cilantro and orange juice until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients and blend until combined. Chill drinks at least 1 hr and up to 8. Serve drinks over ice if desired. Makes about 3 cups, serving 2

Source: Gourmet-May 1998-Lake Austin Spa Resort, Austin, Tx.

I think I'll try the lemonade -- I love a good lemonade! Thanks, Cookieee!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    I think I'll try the lemonade -- I love a good lemonade! Thanks, Cookieee!
    Yeahhhh finally, some feedback. Thanks Kay

Here is an oldie but goodie from CL

Mock Blond Sangria

1 (3/4 lb) bunch seedless green grapes, separated into small clusters
    2 limes, each cut into 8 wedges
    1 med. size orange, cut into 8 wedges
    1/2 cup lime juice, chilled
    1 (40 oz) bottle unsweetened white grape juice, chilled
    1 (33.8 oz) bottle club soda, chilled
    1 (32 oz) bottle apple-cherry juice, chilled

Arrange first 3 ingredients in a single layer in a shallow baking pan; freeze 3 hours. Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a large punch bowl; stir well and add fruit. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 1/2 qts. (about 68 calories per 3/4 cup)

Source: Cooking Light- November 1988

Trying to find ways to help keep you all cool. If you have your personal favorite, would you mind sharing please. Or if you have any requests for certain types of drinks or ingredients, please let me know. I have hundreds of hundreds of drink recipes (and these are just the ones WITHOUT booze, that's another story.) In the meantime, here is another one to keep you cool.

Melonade

4 lbs watermelon
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 TB lemon juice
    1 qt carbonated lemon-lime beverage, chilled
    Lime sherbet
    Fresh mint leaves (optional)
    Maraschino cherries (optional)

Remove rind and seeds from watermelon. Puree melon with blender. Stir in sugar and lemon juice, chill. To serve, pour about 1/3 cup puree mixture into tall glass; fill with lemon-lime beverage. Top with a scoop of sherbet; garnish with mint leaves and cherries. Serves 12

Source: ?

Just received this one.

Blueberry Summer Refresher
    Serves 2
    Add as much or as little sparkling water as you like to this blueberry and mint thirst quencher.

Ingredients
    3 oranges, zested and juiced (about 1 cup)
    2/3 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
    1/2 cup lightly packed mint leaves, plus more for garnish
    1 cup sparkling mineral water

Purée zest and juice, blueberries and mint in a blender. Strain through a fine sieve, discarding solids. Pour over ice, top off generously with sparkling water and garnish with berries and mint.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 100 calories (5 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 15g sugar), 2g protein
    is one

Source: Whole Foods Market

That sounds good cookieee.

I might have to give this a try. Blueberries (fresh) are not that great so may sub frozen wild blueberries.

I make a lemon syrup and a raspberry syrup to use for lemonades or to add to sparkling water or club soda or ice tea. This blueberry drink will give us another alternative. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr264 View Post
    That sounds good cookieee.

I might have to give this a try. Blueberries (fresh) are not that great so may sub frozen wild blueberries.

I make a lemon syrup and a raspberry syrup to use for lemonades or to add to sparkling water or club soda or ice tea. This blueberry drink will give us another alternative. Thanks for posting.
    Your welcome Good to know about the blueberries. Would you mind sharing your syrup recipes?

Cookieee

The lemon one I have been making for a couple of summers, the raspberry is one came from a link that heavy headonist posted a couple of weeks ago.

Lemon Syrup
    Vefa's Kitchen (Cookbook)

Grate the zest of 2 lemons and simmer in 2 cups of water, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Strain the liquid into a large pan, add 4 cups of sugar (recipe calls for 5 cups of sugar), cook on low until disolved. Increase heat, simmer, without stiring until reached soft-ball stage (approz 115 celcius). Add 3 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice, stir to combine, immediately remove from heat. Cool, pour into sterilized bottles and store in fridge.

To use you put about approx 3 tbsps in large glass (16 oz), add ice, fill with water (plain or sparkling) or club soda and enjoy. (play with the measurements until it suits your taste)

Makes a large quantity of syrup, about 1 1/2 litres, but it keeps well, after the 2nd week it starts to seperate, but just needs a shake to get it combined again.

I like this so much that I will never make lemonade any other way now.

Here is the link to the raspberry syrup, I didn't use the basil and followed the recipe but doubled the ingredients and used the method for the lemon syrup to process it for longer storage than 2-3 days, if you're only going to keep it for a couple of days then I would follow the recipe as posted.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh....php?p=1656476

Raspberry-Basil Italian Soda
    Yields 1 serving

Ingredients:
    ice, either cubes or crushed
    1 1/2 – 2 ounces homemade raspberry-basil syrup, or to taste (recipe below)
    6 – 8 ounces club soda or sparkling water
    splash of cream or half and half, or to taste (optional)
    2-3 raspberries, for garnish
    sprig of basil, for garnish

Method:
    Fill a tall glass half full with ice. Pour the raspberry-basil syrup. Add club soda or sparkling water. Pour in cream, if using. Stir, and adjust to taste by adding more syrup or club soda.

Garnish with a few whole raspberries and a sprig of basil.

Raspberry-Basil Simple Syrup

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup water
    1 pound raspberries, washed
    1/2 to 3/4 cup tightly packed basil leaves, to taste

Method:
    In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water and cook over high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add raspberries. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until slightly thickened.

Remove from heat and add basil leaves. Steep basil leaves in raspberry syrup until cooled, about 1 hour. Strain syrup through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding basil and fruit solids. Cover the syrup and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Syrup will keep for 2-3 days.

© Daisy’s World, 2011-2012.

Haven't gotten to make it yet due to lack of quality ingredients!!! I keep looking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Haven't gotten to make it yet due to lack of quality ingredients!!! I keep looking, though.
    I've made it twice now, its a keeper. I mixed some of the lemon and raspberry syrups together and mixed it with green tea, delicious. I've also used it as in the recipe and used it for lemonade. Didn't use the basil as I didn't think the kids would drink it. I may try a small batch whenever my basil comes in.

I've made it twice now, its a keeper. I mixed some of the lemon and raspberry syrups together and mixed it with green tea, delicious. I've also used it as in the recipe and used it for lemonade. Didn't use the basil as I didn't think the kids would drink it. I may try a small batch whenever my basil comes in.
    Good to know-- thanks for the feedback!

Hi ctr265, thank you for your syrup recipes. Here is another one to add to the collection.

Almost-Famous Strawberry Lemonade

Makes 6 drinks

Zest of 1 lemon, in wide strips
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups chopped hulled strawberries
    2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 10 large lemons)
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Make the lemon syrup: Bring the lemon zest, 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring, until the sugar dissolves; let cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, make the strawberry syrup: Toss the strawberries and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl and let sit at room temperature until the sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes. Strain the strawberry mixture; reserve the strawberry syrup and berries separately.

Make the lemonade: Combine the lemon juice, lemon syrup, salt and 2 cups cold water in a pitcher. For each drink, put about 1 tablespoon of the strawberry syrup in a tall glass. Fill with ice, then top with the lemonade and some of the reserved strawberries.

Source: www.foodnetwork.com

Thanks for posting that cookieee. I like the idea of using the strawberries in the drink instead of discarding and using only the syrup.

I love having syrups on hand they are great for making flavoured ice teas, "pop" if mixed with club soda or sparkling water, lemonades or to add with alchohol.

Thanks for posting that cookieee. I like the idea of using the strawberries in the drink instead of discarding and using only the syrup.

I love having syrups on hand they are great for making flavoured ice teas, "pop" if mixed with club soda or sparkling water, lemonades or to add with alchohol.
    Flavored ice teas is what I really like to drink during the summer. To be honest, I am at the age, if I drink alcohol, I get sleepy Heck, if I drink or eat anything, I get sleepy DH and I just had guacamole and margaritas. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Cookieee:

This year's current ice tea obsession is green tea, with some lemon syrup and a touch of sugar .... so good

Cookieee:

This year's current ice tea obsession is green tea, with some lemon syrup and a touch of sugar .... so good
    Thanks, will have to get some green tea

Another blast from the past: the Boston Cooler

Basic recipe is scoop of vanilla ice cream in tall glass topped with ginger ale. I think our church group made it with a little bit of whole milk in the glass as well. So refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Another blast from the past: the Boston Cooler

Basic recipe is scoop of vanilla ice cream in tall glass topped with ginger ale. I think our church group made it with a little bit of whole milk in the glass as well. So refreshing!
    Thanks Marge, never heard of this. Bet my Gkids will love it also.

For those that didn't see last months BA. Another way to make Iced Coffee.

"Cold brewing is simpler and much more forgiving than just cooling down coffee. Plus it tastes better. It's soother, without the bite associated with hot coffee. In the end, it's more refreshing-and when it's 95 degrees outside, that's what matters." - Grady Laird, Co-owner, Gradys Cold Brew

Cold-Brew Iced Coffee Concentrate
    For a clear liquid, use coarsely ground coffee. (Finely ground beans make for a cloudier drink.)
    Makes 5 cups concentrate
    Recipe by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen

12 ounces coarsely ground fresh coffee beans
    Milk (optional)
    Special Equipment
    Cheesecloth
    Preparation
    Place ground coffee in a large container. Gradually add 7 cups cold water. Stir gently to be sure all grounds are moistened. Cover with a layer of cheese-cloth. Let stand at room temperature for 15 hours.
    Remove cheesecloth and use it to line a fine-mesh sieve set over a large pitcher. Pour coffee through sieve into pitcher (do not stir); rinse jar and set aside. Discard cheesecloth with solids.
    Line same sieve with a large coffee filter and set over reserved jar. Strain coffee through sieve into jar. (It may take up to 45 minutes for all of the coffee to drip through; do not stir or coffee may become cloudy.) Cover and chill. Coffee concentrate can be made 2 weeks ahead. Keep chilled.
    Fill a glass with ice. Dilute 1 part coffee concentrate with 1 part milk, if desired, or water.

Source: Bon Appetit -July, 2012
    Last edited by cookieee; 07-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Hi Erin, you didn't say if it was with or without booze.

Sour Apple Martini flavoring mixed with club soda, on ice.
    Pinterest recipe instruction: "2 Pita Pockets cut in half length-wise". Actually, I cut mine crosswise - I'm such a rebel.

I had my 2 faves today - a cold-brewed coffee latte and a mango lassi. Yum, yum!
    Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by LeaHamm View Post
    Sour Apple Martini flavoring mixed with club soda, on ice.
    Hi Lea, sounds good. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman View Post
    I had my 2 faves today - a cold-brewed coffee latte and a mango lassi. Yum, yum!
    Hi Andy, shame on me. I love mango lassie and I am letting 3 mangos go to waste

There`s always tomorrow cookieee, if they are not black and yucky. I stuck mine in the fridge yesterday as I ran out of time to make one and remembered it today after the latte.
    Cheers! Andy