Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution Question - dry sherry

Substitution Question - dry sherry

I was wondering what I could substitute for dry sherry in this recipe. I know that its a minimal amount but any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Honey Garlic Pork Chops
    4 boneless center-cut lean pork chops (about 4 ounces each)
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup honey
    2 Tbs soy sauce
    1 Tbs dry sherry
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients except pork chops in small bowl.
    Place pork in shallow baking dish; pour marinade over pork.
    Cover and Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Remove pork from marinade.
    Heat remaining marinade in small saucepan over medium heat to simmer.
    Broil pork 4 to 6 inches from heat source 12 to 15 minutes, turning once during cooking and basting frequently with marinade. (May also be grilled.)
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Sherry is such a hard thing to substitute. Maybe try using rice vinegar with 1/2 tsp of sugar in it?

The flavor won't be exactly right but it should be pretty tasty with all of the other ingredients

Thank you for your help!! I know, I really should buckle down and buy some but I'm sort of strapped budget-wise...and its such a tiny amount!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

I agree sherry is a unique flavor. A bottle of inexpensive sherry is a worthy pantry addition.

If you don't have it, however, I'd just leave it out if it's a small amt., or sub a neutral alcohol. Alcohol is a flavor carrier, like fat, and it's not just the taste of the sherry you are adding but that extra quality. I'd use either vodka, vermouth, or a light white wine. In this case, since you've got soy sauce in there, rice wine would also work very well.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I've used dry vermouth in place of dry sherry, and it's worked pretty well. I wouldn't use any kind of vinegar, though; it's a completely different flavor family.

If you don't have vermouth either, I'd just omit the ingredient altogether.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I wouldn't worry about it in that recipe.

Dry sherry is cheap (like $5) and it keeps for a long time.

I used the rice wine this time - I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for all the suggestions...they'll come in handy in any future cases!

Hi, I found this Alcohol Substitutions Chart online. I haven’t used any of the substitutions that have been suggested but I will keep this list on hand for my future reference.
    Hope this helps.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

Ohioan's Rice Wine sounds like a good idea. I was going off of the link Vinca posted.

Sherry
    Substitute - General
    Apple cider; non-alcoholic vanilla extract; coffee; or coffee syrup.

Substitute - Measured
    2 tablespoons sherry, substitute the following: 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 tablespoons orange or pineapple juice.

To substitute sherry in a marinade: for 1/2 cup sherry use 1/4 cup vinegar + 1 tablespoon sugar + 1/4 water OR1 tablespoon vinegar, plus chicken stock or water to make 1/2 cup.

Besides I love pork and vinegar

I have found that when a substitute is needed it needed to be honored. If you are using vinegar as ingredient in sub, why not sherry vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    I have found that when a substitute is needed it needed to be honored. If you are using vinegar as ingredient in sub, why not sherry vinegar.
    Initially, that's what I planned to do but I was out of that as well! Apparently, I have to restock some stuff in the kitchen hahah

Again, thanks for all the tips everyone! The rice vinegar worked well enough - the chops came out very tasty!

My DH has me sub gin or vodka for dry sherry -- or vermouth.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I am not sure if you are trying to avoid alcohol or just find something on hand.

Sherry's flavor can't be dupllicated IMHO. But my favorite white wine for cooking is dry vermouth.

I have found that even better than Sherry is Marsala which is more expensive but knocks our socks off as an ingredient in fish and poultry dishes.

Your original recipe reads Korean, my very favorite subtle combo of garlic, soy and sherry. A little bit of ginger would make this over the top