Community Message Boards

Thread: Ways to fix shoes that are slippery on the bottom...

Ways to fix shoes that are slippery on the bottom...

I bought a pair of shoes for a wedding and they seem real slippery on the bottom --- no real surprise since they are new. And, since the heel is much, much thinner and higher than what I usually wear. I'd love a bit more traction on the sole. Definitely a good thing.

This is from someone that has worn my Merrells all week. High heels, what's that?

Normally if I want to make a shoe less slippery I just scuff up the bottom by wearing it, or somestimes just rough up the bottom on the concrete sidewalk. I know you can use sandpaper, but I never have that on hand.

I was just wondering if there are other ways? Would the shoe repair guy have something too?

I don't want to wipe out in my new shoes. And, I'm hoping I get some good use out of them since the price made me go yowza.

Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 07-06-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Easy! Just bring them to a shoe repair shop and they'll adhere ribbed nylon bottoms to them. No slip, and a much longer life for the soles.

I live in San Francisco. Trust me when I say I am VERY familiar with the perils of new leather soles on hills. Freakin' terrifying!

(I giggle, but *did* once "ski" down California Street in new cowboy boots, and it was horrific. I still have an essay my mother wrote in the 1950s, about trying to walk up that very hill in her fancy new shoes, but persistently sliding back down.)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

California Street hill. Canice attempts to "stroll" down from the top in her slick 'n' slippery new boots.
    Not so much.

I don't know if this is helpful outdoors but I used to put an "x" of masking tape on the sole of high heel shoes. It helps the indoors be less slippery
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Easy! Just bring them to a shoe repair shop and they'll adhere ribbed nylon bottoms to them. No slip, and a much longer life for the soles.
    This sounds like the "dance rubber" we'd have the shoemaker put on the soles of our Capezio character shoes for traction when I was in a little theater group.

OMG, that hill! Talk about an aerobic workout!

Or if you need a quick fix they sell pads to put on the bottom at drug stores. Just a little rough piece of something that sticks to the bottom. By all the foot stuff, shoe inserts, etc.

The rubber thing (which I have never heard of) sounds like a much better solution though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    Or if you need a quick fix they sell pads to put on the bottom at drug stores. Just a little rough piece of something that sticks to the bottom. By all the foot stuff, shoe inserts, etc.

The rubber thing (which I have never heard of) sounds like a much better solution though.
    I was just going to comment that I had a bad experience trying to use the stick-on pads. I might have bought cheap ones, though. They didn't stay on well and they would slide around when I walked. Even worse was that the sticky goo that it left on the bottom of my shoes picked up a lot of junk. Next time I'll leave it to the professionals.

Thanks everyone. Off to the shoe repair shop tomorrow. I've always just scuffed up the bottom of shoes myself --- but I can certainly use the extra traction with these shoes. And, and others said, let the shoe pros take care of it.

Canice --- great pic. That certainly wasn't the skiing you had in mind.

Thanks again!

I don't dance so take this with a grain of salt...if you are planning on dancing at the wedding, make sure that what ever you do to the bottom won't prevent you from dancing. I know my friends that do ballroom or salsa, always check to make sure the sole is slippery so they can dance...

Canice - I had to laugh about your mother. I always found it easy to walk up hill in heels as it seemed to balance me out. But walking downhill was always terrifying. I would go out of my way on the bus for a walk that was flat or not a steep down hill!
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Gravity is definitely working against you on the down side! New leather soles are a peril no matter what. All of my shoes had those synthetic overlays on them because I was so hard on my shoes - extended their life dramatically, even if uncool.