Community Message Boards

Thread: Ideas for church dinner for large group?

Ideas for church dinner for large group?

Help! I am signed up to cook dinner for my church bible school and would love some ideas/suggestions. It's mostly families with kids of all ages (they do bible school at night, with dinner first). Cooking for a large group (about 100) doesn't bother me, but I don't have kids and am struggling with what would be good for a range of ages and tastes.

I did it a couple of years ago and fixed meatball subs and CL's apple slaw, which was NOT a hit (even though we love it).

So it needs to be simple, familiar food. The other nights will be spaghetti, soup and sandwiches and chicken pot pie.

I was thinking meatloaf with sides, but don't have a T&T recipe. I'd also thought about lasagne. Any other thoughts and/or recipes??

THANKS!!!

Sloppy Joes? Beef sandwiches? Pizza? You probably can't make enough pizzas for 100, but it might just be cheap enough to buy the pizzas and make some salads/sides. Just a few thoughts. Will try and think of more.

I've got a very simple gravy based meatloaf recipe that could be replicated for large amounts of people.

1lb lean ground beef
    1 sleeve of saltines
    1 egg
    1.5 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients, bake until internal temperature hits 150 degrees. Cut loaf from end to end down the center and pour gravy on, bake for 10 minutes. Cover with unrolled crescent rolls and back until rolls are golden brown (about 8 minutes).

This could easily be multiplied by using bread tins. It's simple but tastes so good and you can use pre-made gravy, too.

Although I enjoy meatloaf very much, I find that my grandchildren don't. I'm not sure if their tastes are like other kids or not. How about mac and cheese? hot dogs?

HOw about meatballs with some type of potatoes and a vegetable
    or
    Tacos
    or
    Baked potato bar
    or
    Lasagne
    or
    Brats and Burgers with chips and baked beans
    or
    A Salad Bar
    or
    Breakfast with Potato Casserole and scrambled eggs with bagles/muffins
    or
    Breakfast with Pancakes or waffles and bacon or sausage
    or
    Well whatever do check back and let us know what you decide upon...
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Wow - thank you all so much for the suggestions. I think we've going to dochicken tenders, macaroni and cheese and green beans.

NOW the question is whether to try to make breaded chicken tenders or buy the ready-to-cook frozen ones at Sam's. I don't mind making them, but am just worried they won't be as good as Tyson!

I do make a great macaroni and cheese so that will balance out if I use frozen chicken tenders

I will definitely be making that meatloaf for myself...it sounds so interesting. And I loved reading the taste of home recipes...I might use one of those for desert.

Thanks again. I love this board!

Jill

One more thought. This year I did a barbequed beef (could be pork) in the crockpot and served it with slider rolls. It was a huge success and fed a lot of people. Cole slaw mix with apples, nuts, and a mixture of poppy seed dressing and mayo has also been a hit.

If you need a dessert, almost everyone likes icecream, it doesn't have to be fancy, and there are options for no sugar or low fat or non dairy, etc. for those with dietary restrictions.
    Anne