Community Message Boards

Thread: Is Lactose free milk suppose to taste strange?

Is Lactose free milk suppose to taste strange?

I started drinking more milk, trying to get more protien and caclium and I think it has been causing major bloat. I just ried lactose free milk and yuk! It kind of tastes like the non refrigerated milk I had in Mexico. So it does not have the same taste as regular milk?

Laurie

I have never had the lactose free milk but I bought lactose free cottage cheese once because it was on special. I found that the cottage cheese had an odd flavor also, almost sweet I think would be the best way to describe it. Is this the way the milk tasted to you?
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

I recently switched from soy milk to lactose free milk and I havn't really noticed any difference (I was concerned about the phytoestrogens).

But I also always mix in one of the Carnation Instant Breakfast packets so maybe that's masking the flavor?

Hmm...I'll have to try it straight when I get home

According to my 30 seconds of internet research it has glucose instead of lactose, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does taste sweeter as well as just plain different.

It is not sweeter just wierd, I have some non dairy liquid creamer last week that had a similar taste, almost like it was stale.

I might try a different brand

The DD who is lactose intolerant used to drink it -- she said it tasted like sweat! She used Lact-Aid after that!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

That's interesting. I've used lactose-free milk for years but I don't drink milk and never have, so I can't really comment on the taste Works great for anything I've ever made with it (I've even made paneer with it).

And the lactose-free cottage cheese just recently appeared here too but I've only bought it once and used it in a casserole. I'll have to buy it again and taste it.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Lactose-free milk is sweeter because the lactose is already broken down by the added lactase enzyme (creating glucose + galactose. There is no glucose added, it is just the enzyme does the job your digestive system can't do).
    To me it taste sweeter and in a good way. My son used to drink it, he is highly intolerant and he liked it a lot. Now we drink almond and coconut milk and he loves those! (he is 9 now).
    Which brand did you try? We found difference among brands. The Lactaid brand tasted delicious but the grocery store brand (harris teeter) tasted nasty.
    Ana

Ive only tried lactaid and it tastes pretty good.. just sweeter than regular milk

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Giggles View Post
    Ive only tried lactaid and it tastes pretty good.. just sweeter than regular milk
    That's how we felt about the lactaid milk here too! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Giggles View Post
    We also use Lactaid, and prefer its taste to the couple of store-brand versions we've tried (they didn't taste weird, just "flat"). It froths beautifully for our morning lattes, too.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    We also use Lactaid, and prefer its taste to the couple of store-brand versions we've tried (they didn't taste weird, just "flat"). It froths beautifully for our morning lattes, too.

Michelle
    True, for some reason lactaid milk really froths up! I haven't drank this in more than a year but I totally remember that as both me and my son enjoyed the froth on lattes too!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    I started drinking more milk, trying to get more protien and caclium
    Laurie
    maybe trying other sources of calcium and protein might be tastier and easier

first have you tried any of the nondairy milks? soy almond (my fave esp homemade) rice???

for protein- quinoa- lots of yummy ways to prepare and enjoy this grain- i love red the best
    hemp seed, watercress, beans/lentils

and for calcium- broccoli, collards, kale, mustard greens, blackstrap molasses, black beans/beans
    Cheryl

For Cheryl

I'm looking for a savory quinoa salad that has no fruit in it....do you have any recipes for some like that??
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutalady View Post
    I'm looking for a savory quinoa salad that has no fruit in it....do you have any recipes for some like that??
    Thanks.
    a tried and true from cl- i don't add the tofu and sub edamame for the lima beans-

Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
    1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
    1 cup chopped fresh basil
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
    4 cups chopped tomato (about 3 medium)
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

Preparation
    Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
    Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté tofu 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool completely.
    Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
    Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, tofu, chopped tomato, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    a tried and true from cl- i don't add the tofu and sub edamame for the lima beans-

Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
    1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
    1 cup chopped fresh basil
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
    4 cups chopped tomato (about 3 medium)
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

Preparation
    Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
    Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté tofu 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool completely.
    Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
    Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, tofu, chopped tomato, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.
    I second this recipe, I absolutely LOVE it!!! I make with chickpeas instead of black beans!
    Here is a link for when I posted about it on my blog: Quinoa and chickpea salad with Basil Lemon Dressing!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Aninha View Post
    I second this recipe, I absolutely LOVE it!!! I make with chickpeas instead of black beans!
    Here is a link for when I posted about it on my blog: Quinoa and chickpea salad with Basil Lemon Dressing!
    Ana
    love the idea of chickpeas!
    Cheryl

Has anyone else grown up on milk that might or might not be homogenized? Skimmed milk available but looked like dish water. When I went to college in the midwest (from Brooklyn) we had pitchers of milk on the table at supper meal. Whole milk. Couldn't stand it. Then wait a minute. When the cows were drinking silage, it tasted sour. I haven't had a glass of milk since.

Quinoa

Sorry that I jumped in here asking for a quinoa salad....
    thanks to both Cheryl and Ana and have noted your changes.

here's another very yummy quinoa salad-this was my first go at quinoa and its really good

quinoa corn salad
    with cilantro, chives, and lemon-lime dressing

rebar

serves 6

Grains are often overlooked in the salad department. This cool, south-of-the-border salad is an excellent alternative to rice in a Mexican spread. Quinoa was one of the ancient staple foods of the Inca civilization and is now being cultivated in the U. S. It has the highest protein content of all the grains and is also a very good source of calcium, iron, phosphorus, B vitamins and vitamin E. Quinoa is quick and easy to cook. The only fussy part involves an initial rinsing to rid the grain of bitterness. (eta that most quinoai've found lately is pre-rinsed!) One of the many endearing quialities of quinoa is a cute little spiral impressed upon each individual grain when it's cooked... you have to see it to believe it!

1 cup quinoa
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
    1 small red onion, minced
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    1/2 red pepper, finely diced (red bell or sweet has been my guess)
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    3 tbsp lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    3 scallions, minced
    2 tbsp finely minced chives
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce, or to taste

Place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold, running water. Bring water to a boil in a small pot, add the quinoa and salt and bring to a boil again. Cover and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes. Strain off any excess liquid and spread the quinoa out to cool on a tray while preparing the remaining ingredients.

Steam or lightly saute corn until just tender and cool to room temperature. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss. Season with salt, pepper, or hot sauce to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
    Cheryl

Quinoa Salad

That one sounds really good too, Cheryl.
    Thanks.