Community Message Boards

Thread: putting twin beds together to make a king size

putting twin beds together to make a king size

Has anyone done this? Did you use a make a king device that is sold on Amazon, but has mixed reviews? Or did you devise your own set-up to fill in the gap between the 2 mattresses? Did you "strap" the 2 mattresses together? Did you have success with your project?

I did it a long, long time ago (25+ years). It works okay in a pinch with a filler and king size sheets, but for every day sleeping, it left a lot to be desired.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Did it in college. We put two twins together and covered them with a king size foam thingy, a mattress cover, and king size sheets. Never had any problem with it, but then again, my standards at the time may not have been very high.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

In our guest room, we have a twin trundle bed. When I pop up the twin trundle part & smoosh it against the bed, I create a king size; the trundle's headboard becomes the king headboard. I added a foam eggshell to the trundle part to equalize the slight height difference, and bought a thick, comfy king-sized mattress pad to go atop the eggshell & both mattresses. This pad holds the 2 twins together; the fitted sheet & usual bedding go atop that, & we've never had a separation problem (the trundle's on rollers, but it's on a carpet & the rollers only roll towards & from the main bed, not side to side). I've asked relatives to be very honest about this setup, and both my BIL/SIL and my brother/SIL have said it's an incredibly comfortable guest bed, no complaints (both mattresses are good-quality, too). I've tried it out also, & you really can't feel the seam, since the height is equal & it's well-padded.

Does that help?
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

The 2 twins together won't be as long as a king, but unless that's a problem for your guests, it sounds comfortable.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks for your replies so far. The "new" king sized bed will be DH and my bed. We had a queen size, but due to my restless legs (which have lessened with acupuncture) and taking turns being the one who snores, we recently got the twin beds (same room). DH wants us back together so my research starts on turning the twins into a king. My main question is: do the beds need to be tethered together or will they stay put. (no wheels on them). I guess we may just have to try it.

We did this with a sectional couch eons ago -- we tied the legs together, and it worked pretty well. Glad you got your restless legs under somewhat control! That's a miserable thing to have, I know!
    Kay

Thanks LakeMartinGirl for saying you tied the legs together. I never thought of that! I was thinking of the strap that goes around both mattresses like the product you can buy through Amazon (which has mixed reviews). (Smile) Simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie99 View Post
    Thanks LakeMartinGirl for saying you tied the legs together. I never thought of that! I was thinking of the strap that goes around both mattresses like the product you can buy through Amazon (which has mixed reviews). (Smile) Simple solution.
    Glad to help!
    Kay

Twin mattresses on top of a king box spring.

Last time we needed a new mattress, my husband said he was tired of flipping a king mattress, so we bought two twin mattresses instead. They are actually a little short of the box spring length, so extra long twins would probably work better. We solved the length problem by buying a length of foam and putting it on the bottom. With a snug mattress pad, the twins stay together nicely. If they were not on top of a king box spring, I doubt the mattress pad would keep things together. But this way works for us.
    barbara-cook

Quote Originally Posted by barbara-cook View Post
    Last time we needed a new mattress, my husband said he was tired of flipping a king mattress, so we bought two twin mattresses instead. They are actually a little short of the box spring length, so extra long twins would probably work better.
    DH and I have a king-sized adjustable latex bed. It is actually 2 extra-long twin beds that have a head and foot "attachment" piece, but the finished size is standard king (and king sheet sets fit perfectly).

Michelle