Community Message Boards

Thread: Need apps (& sides?) to go with Low Country Boil

Need apps (& sides?) to go with Low Country Boil

We're having a gathering for 25 people on Saturday and we're doing a low country boil (aka Frogmore Stew). It is basically a combination of shrimp, sausage, green beans, corn and potatoes cooked with old bay seasoning. I've never done it before but it should be fun and not too much work.

I feel like we should have some additional offerings, though DH disagrees. I'd like to at least have an appetizer or two, and probably also some side dishes. I want to keep this super easy, but since the main course is so easy I don't mind doing a little cooking/prep work for other items.

DH said we could put out some nuts, but I want to do something else. Maybe some veggies and dip? Any ideas? Thanks!

What about fruit skewers? They're colorful and light. Really good cheese and crackers. I saw a recipe for BLT stuffed cherry tomatoes that I've been wanting to try. I've learned that you can never go wrong with guacamole or a really good veggie dip and chips. What type of people will be there?
    ~JW~

I agree with something fruity and light... Low Country boils are messy, and starchy. Something cold and light should fill the bill! Maybe something lemony for dessert?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I had no idea people ate this outside of the low country. It's often found at oyster roasts. Other than that it's not usually served with sides except those white fluffy dinner rolls and sweet tea.

But with this heat, my vote would be watermelon.

Just consulted with my mother (charleston native) she says no sides.
    Last edited by Heather C; 07-27-2011 at 08:46 AM.

This is my hands down FAVORITE way to entertain in the summertime.

The brilliance of the dish is that sides are not required!! They are already part of the meal. If you want to fancy it up a bit, I have made compound butters for the corn and a garlic butter dipping sauce for the shrimp. We always have fruit as an appetizer to snack on before the meal and I usually do some kind of dessert. Usually brownies unless I'm trying to be more fancy.

Have a great time. Not sure if you drink, but ice cold beer pairs very nicely...
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I love the fruit skewers idea! At our last party we had tons of cakes and desserts, and what got eaten was the watermelon slices and the grapes. I think fruit skewers is a nice step up from that

DH is from the south, and this is what he wanted for his retirement/birthday celebration. Being from NY, I've never had it, but it sounds terrific.

So, I hear that no sides are necessary. How about munchies for before we serve the boil?

Excuse my ignorance but I had to look up “low country.” I have never heard that term before.

A low country boil sounds very similar to the New England Clam Bakes we have had in the past. At our clam bakes we usually had a big green salad, lots of crusty bread, sliced watermelon, beer/wine, iced tea and for dessert we had either strawberry shortcake or some kind of cobbler. Sometimes we had an appetizer or two if someone brought one. Very simple but delicious food.

Sounds like a great time.
    Have fun!
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere