Community Message Boards

Thread: Spilled wine on laptop!

Spilled wine on laptop!

Ugh! Just sat down for dinner and promptly spilled an entire glass of red wine on top of the keyboard of my brand new laptop. Is there any hope? I turned it upside down with paper towels underneath, but is there anything else I can do? Any advice appreciated!

Take the battery out, unplug all connections...and then I read this:

So now you have a laptop which has suffered from alcohol and sugar poisoning and the absolute first thing you need to think about is to disconnect all power sources to not make things worse. E.g. unplug any AC adapters and take the battery out of the laptop.
    The second thing you need to keep in mind is that time is not your friend. Many people that have this happening to their laptop will try to ‘dry it out’ and this is one of worst things you can do. All liquids contain minerals which lead electricity and many liquids contain sugars and other interesting ingredients which of many are corrosive.

You need to get this out of your laptop as soon as possible.

Actually it’s quiet simple. Take the laptop apart, which can be a challenge in itself, and rinse the parts affected (no more no less) in tap water and when it’s clean rinse it again with distilled water to make sure that the tap water in gone as it contains minerals, chlor and calcium. Let it dry and then assemble it again.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Put it in a container filled with rice.

Sorry. I know how frustrating that is.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    Put it in a container filled with rice.

Sorry. I know how frustrating that is.
    What does rice do? I spilled milk once on a laptop, and my brother went with Joyce's finding of rinsing it under running water. It was too late, really, as it was already fried.

After a couple of days, it started smelling like sour milk.

I think the rice helps with removing moisture. I've never tried it, but know people who put their phones in rice after they dropped them in water. It seemed to help some.

If the computer is dead, is there any way to retrieve data from it? I had 1,000 recipes on a recipe program on it. Some of them are still on my previous computer, but about 200 hadn't been backed up yet. I'm not very computer savvy, so I'll probably have to bring it in somewhere first thing in the morning. Wish it didn't have to wait all night now.

Some new laptops are "spill proof".

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    Some new laptops are "spill proof".
    I think that is what mine is considered. I actually don't like the keyboard because the keys are so far apart, and it is very hard to type by feel. My husband bought it for me, and I didn't want to tell him that I didn't like it. Might be a good excuse to get a new one, but I do really want to be able to retrieve my recipe program! The wine still seemed to take it out despite being "spill-proof". It won't do anything at this point.

Oh no.

I did the rice thing with my ipod and it worked. It is worth a shot. Or just take it directly to a repair place.

As the person who reviews and negotiates terms and conditions of sale for expensive instruments in my job I would review your warranty on your computer. If it is marketed as "spill-proof" unless they expressly state that they will not warrant against spill/liquid damage you may have a claim.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

If you take it to a repair place, there's a chance they can pull the hard drive out and put it into another laptop "shell," and maybe get your files. The hard drive might be OK.
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

The best thing to do would be to lick off all the wine remaining on the top of the laptop. I'm sorry, though - you probably won't be able to recover all of the wine that went into the laptop. Maybe if you go back to where you got the wine and beg for mercy, they might give you another bottle? Stupid laptops - I hate it when they mess up my wine.

Sorry - I have nothing helpful to add. I hope that it dries out ok.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Another possible remedy -- instead of letting it dry, use a shop-vac to suck up all the moisture, being sure not to suck up anything else! Sorry this happened!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I took it in this morning, and they said it is toast. They said there is a small chance of recovering my recipe program, but they weren't very optimistic about it. I'll find out in 7 to 10 days. Lesson learned. No more beverages by the computer!

Darn it! Maybe now you can get one you really like, though.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Sorry for your trouble. I hope you're able to retrieve your recipes. I spilled a martini on my keyboard a few nights ago, but thankfully since it was just a peripheral, turning it over and draining it did the trick. Did make me think twice about having a drink near the laptop or iPad, though.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Been there, done that....lost mine too with wine! DH said that it would not be replaced....not a priority money-wise

DS had a talk with DH and said "Ya know, Mom's laptop is a hobby, just like your guitar"....they gave me a new one for my birthday soon after

I am very careful now!

So sorry for the loss!

Danita

Danita, when I read the first sentence in your post, I thought awwww...man...

I was thrilled to see the second part! Good for your son and that your husband wasn't a hard head! What a sweet ending...Your post made my day!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwismommy View Post
    DH said that it would not be replaced....not a priority money-wise
    Mine keeps suggesting I just go back to using my old computer. He bought me the new one because the old one was always freezing, was super slow when it did work, and it always had something wrong with it. Not exactly what I want to go back to. I used my laptop all the time. I want a new one.

Did you DH buy the laptop with a credit card? Some credit card companies offer some sort of insurance or replacement of items, even if accidental. It might be a longshot, but worth looking into.

I feel your pain - I love my laptop and and not too long ago I caused damage to the LCD screen. It ended up costing me almost $200 to replace (including labor). It was less than a year old, so it was worth the repair rather than buying a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by beacooker View Post
    The best thing to do would be to lick off all the wine remaining on the top of the laptop. I'm sorry, though - you probably won't be able to recover all of the wine that went into the laptop. Maybe if you go back to where you got the wine and beg for mercy, they might give you another bottle? Stupid laptops - I hate it when they mess up my wine.
    What she said.......
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy