Community Message Boards

Thread: Springform pan questions

Springform pan questions

I need to replace mine (note to self: use parchment on the bottom so you don't have to bring that piece to the next potluck) and have a couple of questions:

• Is 9" the standard size? If you were going to have just one, what would the size be?

• I've seen darker, heavier ones without the textured bottom. My instincts tells me to go with this type but it has an almost non-stick feel to it. Advantages/disadvantages?

Any opinions on this pressing matter are appreciated!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

No suggestions but I am following this thread since I haven't owned a pan that lasts more than a few years. I have been considering the glass bottom ones but haven't found one here yet.
    Anne

I would say 9" is probably the most common, but many many recipes specify 8" or 10". There are sets of 3 that you can get that have one of each size.

As for darker/lighter, just remember with darker pans you usually have to reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees. Other than that I don't think it matters.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I like the ones with the fancy glass bottoms - easy way to see if your crust (if you have one) has cooked enough!

I agree with the 9" pan size being very common, but I see more and more recipes calling for 10" pans.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

What about the mini-pans? I think I need to get some of those so I can make little mini-cheesecakes for Valentine's Day just for the two of us. Are there any scaled down recipes just for 2-4 mini desserts?

Maybe in Small Batch Baking?

Angela,

My mini pan came with recipes for 4 cheesecakes. They are 4 inches in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    What about the mini-pans? I think I need to get some of those so I can make little mini-cheesecakes for Valentine's Day just for the two of us. Are there any scaled down recipes just for 2-4 mini desserts?
    At the pastry class I took last month we made cheesecakes with 6" springforms. I just ordered one from Amazon for $14. I think it would do feed four people.

ATK favorite

Product Name
    Frieling Handle-It 9-Inch Glass Bottom Springform Pan
    Model Number
    Manufacturer
    Frieling
    Price
    $49.99
    Recommendation Status
    Recommended
    Testers’ Comments
    This pricey pan may not be perfect—like the other models, its seal isn’t leakproof—but it boasts plenty of features that make it our two-time favorite: evenly browned results; near flawless release; a glass bottom that helps us monitor browning; helper handles; and sturdy, dishwasher-safe parts.
    Source
    www.cooking.com
    Read Full Review

They also liked the Cuisinart glass bottom 9"and the Nordickware 9" coated base bottom.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I have a couple of springform pans but I would say that I use the 9-inch one the most. When I purchased my round ones they were a 3-pack that I picked up at Ross and they were very inexpensive. They are non-stick and do have a lightly dimpled bottom (I think I can say that here ). I always line the bottom disk from my pan with non-stick foil, and I use a rather large spatula that I slide underneath to remove the cheesecake and place it on a serving plate.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    I have a couple of springform pans but I would say that I use the 9-inch one the most. When I purchased my round ones they were a 3-pack that I picked up at Ross and they were very inexpensive. They are non-stick and do have a lightly dimpled bottom (I think I can say that here ). I always line the bottom disk from my pan with non-stick foil, and I use a rather large spatula that I slide underneath to remove the cheesecake and place it on a serving plate.
    Lol, thanks for the laugh!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I have more recipes for a 9-inch, myself, but you might want to look over your own most-used and try-it piles of recipes to check your likely needs!

Once I had a 10-inch, that turned out to be so reactive that the first blueberry crumb cake I made in it ruined it! And it was an expensive gift from my MIL.
    So, watch out for the metal issue, is my caution.

I have 3 -- 6, 8 and 9 inch. The 6 and 8 inch ones are darker non-stick and they made better crusts with deep dish pizza and they came out of the pan better, but I can't say I've noticed a difference with cheesecake. I've used the 9 inch the most for cheesecake.

I have the Frieling glass-bottom model with the handles and really like it a lot. I had a problem with the aluminum-bottom pans getting rusty or reacting with what I was cooking in the pan. The glass bottom also makes a nicer presentation for serving. It's a little more expensive, but it's really held up well.
    Alicia

Thanks for the helpful input, everyone! I had never seen nor heard of a glass-bottomed springform pan before.

I use(d) my pan so rarely, it's kind of ridiculous, but I don't want to need one and not have it. I went to SLT today and was going to just go with the dark one, but upon considering that it *is* nonstick, decided to wait. Even if it's nonstick, I'm going to run a knife around it to release whatever's in it, right? And then it'll end up getting trashed. I'll keep looking and keeping your comments in mind....

I have a glass bottom pan with handles that I got from Pampered Chef. I have used it a bunch and I've never had any leaking or reacting problems with it. And it was definitely less than $50! I've made a bunch of cheesescakes and mousse cakes in it, but it probably gets used most often to make CL's Cinnamon Apple Cake.