Community Message Boards

Thread: Do You Have a Seam in Your Granite Countertop??

Do You Have a Seam in Your Granite Countertop??

Our island was enlarged and they now realize they have to put a seam in the piece of granite we chose. The pattern is large and flowing.
    1. Do you have a seam, is it quite noticeable?
    2. Can you feel it on top?
    3. Where is your seam?
    4. Am I making this an issue when it shouldn't be one?

We just got the call, waiting to hear back, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Off to the side of the sink or centered in the middle of the sink?
    I am off to research but would appreciate your incite. Thx!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I have about a 2" seam in the front of the sink and another one at the edge of the window. We have had the new countertop for about 9 or 10 months and I can honestly say that I really don't notice the seams on a daily basis when I wash the countertop down. But since you asked, I went and checked and I can feel them. I would imagine with real good workers that is should not be a big problem.

We have a seam in our perimeter counters, but not our island. The seam is in the corner. Our granite is Black Galaxy, so very dark and not a lot of movement. In the right light I can see the seam and I can feel it when I clean. I don't notice it much unless I'm looking right at it, but again it's a very dark, not very patterned granite.

We have had an island (rectangular) as large as 4 1/2' by 5' with an undermount sink in it and there was no seam. I don't know if I would accept a seam in a smaller island without seeing where it would be (and how obvious it would be). I would be especially concerned if the granite had a lot of movement to it - much more difficult to disguise the abrupt change in pattern.

Have they said why they have to seam it? Is it that large of an island?

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
    Our island was enlarged and they now realize they have to put a seam in the piece of granite we chose. The pattern is large and flowing.
    1. Do you have a seam, is it quite noticeable?
    2. Can you feel it on top?
    3. Where is your seam?
    4. Am I making this an issue when it shouldn't be one?

We just got the call, waiting to hear back, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Off to the side of the sink or centered in the middle of the sink?
    I am off to research but would appreciate your incite. Thx!
    1 - It depends on the light, but in most instances in all the houses we've had granite, there was always a seam or two you could see. Some can hide quite well, but others are noticeable.

2 - Yes, if you run your fingers over the top, you can feel it.

3 - IMO, this just depends on how large the piece of granite is (skinny vs wide makes a difference since granite is so heavy). The installers should consult with you where you want it and go from there. It will be different in most instances.

4 - Maybe, maybe not. We picked out a free-flowing piece of granite for a top over new cabinets in the kitchen. They didn't do well with trying to match the colored flow in the seam and it was VERY noticeable. As in, when you looked at it, it did not look "natural". We showed the contractor - he was appalled and had it replaced.

In our Maryland house, we had a sink where the seam would have normally fallen - we ended up putting it to the left (towards a corner) and was happy with it.

With that said, I don't know that I'd be happy with a seam in an island though, unless it was well hidden.
    Last edited by HealthyinMN; 08-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Thanks so much everyone, I am still at a loss as what to do, the whole kitchen was chosen around the colors in the granite. Here is a similar but not quite photo I found on the net. We have more gold/rose/black/gray in ours.
    I am just hearbroken over this, is it really an issue? The company doesn't have slabs larger that 155X75. I had the island made larger so that when you open the dishwasher, it doesn't open onto the person standing next to it at the sink, if that makes sense. The decorator stated that they do put seams in often because of size. Not sure if we should change granite and get a smaller, compact design or bite the bullet and get the seam. We are in PA and the house is in NC, we can't just pick up and go see what they are doing~ Yikes!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

If you're already heartbroken over it, it is going to be an issue. You are always going to see the seem because you will know it's there. I would have your contractor try to find you a slab from another marble distributor. If you can't find a larger slab, then I would seriously consider making the island smaller or possibly moving your dishwasher.

good luck!
    -bug

I can't see your picture, can you try to repost it? I have Ubatuba so the seam really doesn't show since the pattern is so small. I can feel it and see it somewhat, but it really blends in. Our seam is not on an island though, but on the regular countertop, off to the side, so I don't really notice it. I don't think I'd want a seam going down the center of an island. If I had the picture Joe showed where the 2 sides are so different, I would not be happy, I don't think. I guess it depends on exactly how big your island is and exactly where the seam would go and how long the seam is. Can you give more info?

The company doesn't have slabs larger that 155X75. I had the island made larger so that when you open the dishwasher, it doesn't open onto the person standing next to it at the sink, if that makes sense.
    Is that inches or centimeters? If inches, just how big IS the island (75 inches is 6'3")? If centimeters, those are unusually small slabs; almost remnant size.

Michelle

I have a seam on my counter, in the corner. We also have Ubatuba so it hardly shows, but I can feel it when I wipe down the counter.

I would not want a seam in my island. That is totally different. Your island is often a focal point at entertaining, serving as a buffet or a bar, while people mingle in the kitchen. At least thats how it goes in my house. I would not be happy having a seam noticeable there.

My neighbor enlarged her island from our standard 64" x 40" to have a huge "dog leg" portion jut off that they use as a table. It is a huge island and she does not have a seam.

IT sounds like your dimensions need clarifying, but I would really push to avoid a seam.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I don't know how to make the photo show except to right click, then show picture.?

There are three sections to the island, the first is 4'6", the center is 5'6", and the last is 4'41/2". The sinks are in the center, so the seam won't be AS noticeable. They have done this before with no problems and guarantee it will be ok. More of a mirror image on either side, if that makes sense? At least the sink will take up more space of the seam. I gotta go with this, I think I got more concerned since I have never had granite.

We had a problem with the Bonus room shower and when they guaranteed me that they had worked it out, we saw it and were very happy with what they did. This house is an unusual design to say the least!!

I don't see it being as much of an issue as with Joe's, the pattern isn't that flowing, I hope not to be eating my words. I tried to show a drawing of the island but it won't cut and paste. I'll keep working on it.

I think being so far away that I can't make the decisions on property is what causes my angst. But I will keep looking and thank you everyone so far for your advise, it is so appreciated!!!!

I agree with travelbug, especially after seeing the photo of the granite you want. If you had a pattern more like Joes picture, it would be less noticeable, but on a island, it would bug me. I would pick a different slab so you won't have the seam.

Cocosmom, right click on x and copy properties to the search engine and the picture will show up.

Laurie

First let me preface that I HAAATE granite. Our new home has granite tile (even worse) on the counters and the master bath has granite on the vanities. There is a seam there and it is noticeable.
    I think the most important thing is to find a good installer.
    I had a friend do a semi-speckled black and there should have been almost no visible seam, but it was done poorly.
    I've seen granite that was put it so well, you can't tell were the seam is.
    Look is important, but more important is how easily it will clean up, wipe up and not pit or chip.
    I would sell my mother to gut this granite and as much as I would not say laminate is my first choice, the newer ones are AMAZINGLY pretty and easy to care for and cheaper than granite (in some cases). Plus if you drop something, it won't break
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I have two seams and they are not noticable unless you are looking for them. I only can tell by touch that they are there if I intentially run my finger over that area. The fabricator did a great job matching the movement in the granite so it is really not noticable.

We have a seam in our counters but not the island. And I HATE our seam but because they were never able to blend it very well - the seam is in the middle of the stove so its only a few inches but for whatever reason they weren't able to smoothly connect the 2 pieces. They tore out the granite 2 times to get it right and on the third try was better - at that point I was just tired of having granite installers in my house while having a 5 month old (made naps difficult). Our pattern is black with only a light texture so that wasn't an issue. I think on your island as long as the seam isn't in the middle of an open stretch but closer to the sinks it will be less noticable.

now even though I hate my seam, I"m sure I'm the only one who notices.

Panic attack subsided, thanks! Just saw neighbor's seam, the sink does make a huge difference.

Ana so sorry to hear you hate your granite tile, I know I would hate that as well, a friend has it and I hated it too! I will have granite in the same places you mentioned, we have seen the work of this installer, it has been excellent so far.

I will be sure to post photos in September, after we are moved in and less stressed (Not only are we moving out of state, we are trying to sell 2 homes in this crazy market!!)

Thanks again everyone, I so appreciate your experiences with granite.

Good to hear it will work out well! What area in NC are you heading to?
    Joe

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Morning Joe and thanks for all your help. The photo of your granite helped with our decision.
    Wilmington, can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    Good to hear it will work out well! What area in NC are you heading to?
    Hi Joe!! I check your blog every morning but nothing new since July 6! Did I miss you saying you would be gone for a while? I miss your posts!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Morning Joe and thanks for all your help. The photo of your granite helped with our decision.
    Wilmington, can't wait!!
    Hope the move goes smoothly! I've heard that area is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    Hi Joe!! I check your blog every morning but nothing new since July 6! Did I miss you saying you would be gone for a while? I miss your posts!!
    You didn't miss anything! I've still been making plenty of new recipes, but just don't have any time to set aside for pictures and post writing. Jeff should be done with PT soon and the bathroom remodel is wrapping up, so perhaps we can get back on schedule soon. We'll see!
    Joe

Bumping this up to say that now that we moved, we finally see where the seam is located, NBD!! We are very pleased with it, it something I can definitely live with, without any second thoughts. I so appreciate all of the help!!

I do have a seam. But you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know where it is. My contractor said it was all about who does it. He was very complimentary of the guy who cut and installed mine. This was one of the things he mentioned first when we talked about him.

Granite is one of the easiest surfaces to maintain. If you have a seam in your countertop, it is best to avoid setting hot materials on this area.

wallycat, "hate" is such a strong word when it comes to granite

I love my granite. I wuld post a picture but it's just too much trouble to have to upload it to the net....sigh................they did a great job with the seams...it really does matter WHO does the installing. I actually waited a week for this one particular granite installer to come and I still remember the company name!