Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do one with 1 Eggplant, 1 Zucchini, 1 Onion... ISO ideas.

What to do one with 1 Eggplant, 1 Zucchini, 1 Onion... ISO ideas.

I went to the farmers market and from that trip I have 1 Eggplant, 1 Zucchini, and 1 Onion. I finished off some other items, including some really small plums. I never see them in the supermarket, so I made a beeline when I saw them again at the farmers market. Love those.

I could roast (or grill the veggies on my grill pan), but I was looking for any ideas that would make a dinner.

I could take them, serve with brown rice, maybe top wth some feta/balsamic but I'm certainly up for any ideas.

I have boneless chicken --- but not necessary to use it. No fresh tomatoes, just canned diced.

Screaming for some goat cheese, but none on hand.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 08-06-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I went to the farmers market and from that trip I have 1 Eggplant, 1 Zucchini, and 1 Onion. No fresh tomatoes, just canned diced.
    sounds like the makings for roasted ratatouille to me!

Eggplant and zucchini parmigiano?

Stuffed eggplant, with the eggplant pulp and chopped zucchini (and onion) making part of the stuffing? Or, for that matter, stuffed eggplant and stuffed zucchini?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    sounds like the makings for roasted ratatouille to me!
    My thinking exactly, HH! Ah, ratatouille - one of mid/late summer's great pleasures
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Can anyone share a good recipe for roasted ratatouille???

This is one of my favorites:

Baked Ratatouille

1 medium eggplant, cut in 1" cubes
    1 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch slices
    1 whole bell pepper, cut in 1" pieces
    4 ozs mushrooms, halved or quartered
    1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
    2 Tbs tomato paste
    2 Tbs vinegar
    2 Tbs water
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup parsley, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a large roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the following to the pan: eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion slices.

2. Combine the tomato paste, vinegar, water, oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add to the roasting pan and stir and toss to combine.

3. Bake until vegetables begin to soften, about 30 minutes, stirring once at the halfway point. Reduce the heat to 325F. Cover the pan and bake until the vegetables are soft and tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes more, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley just before serving.

Servings: 2

Source: Williams-Sonoma Healthy Cooking

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Today's USA Weekend has a recipe for roasted ratatouille as well.

http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20...text|Frontpage
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Made me think of that pasta dish I created "Rigatoni a la Ratatouille". If you have penne or rigatoni or such, and some cheese, you could also make a pasta dish and have it ready to heat up later in the week.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Unfortunately, my pantry/fridge is out of quite a few key ingredients.

I've only made made stuffed eggplant or zucchini once or twice and have never made Ratatouille. So look forward to trying many of the ideas.

Ohioan, love eggplant parm.

Thanks again all.

I'm out of cheese (except feta), basil, breadcrumbs, red pepper etc. It's pouring out so not in the mood to go food shopping. Instead I just further aggravated myself watching the Sunday shows on the economy, debt crisis etc. I think I would be better off getting caught in the rain.

Tbb113 -- what a coincidence. Thanks for posting, love the ideas of turning it into different meals.

Canice, how funny that you mentioned your created pasta dish. Before I even read your post, I found a recipe on Allreicpes for you guessed it.... Ratatouille Pasta.

I think I'm going to make this. I don't have mozzarella, so I will probably go sans cheese. Might try some feta. Or wait until tomorrow when I go shopping.

Ratatouille Pasta

Original Recipe Yield 3 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups diced peeled eggplant
    2 cups sliced zucchini
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
    1 cup sliced onion
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    Dash pepper
    1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    Directions
    Place eggplant and zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes; rinse and drain well.
    Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the eggplant, zucchini and onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, garlic powder, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Drain pasta; place on an ovenproof platter. Top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted.
    Footnotes
    Nutritional Analysis: 1 cup sauce with 2/3 cup pasta equals 344 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 835 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.

Thanks again. When I saw one of the vendors at the farmers market selling eggplant for $1, I had to get it.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 08-07-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Hah, well I should say I'm sure I'm not the first person to put all that into a casserole! It was a big hit, but the version I put together was labor intensive - i.e., tedious to make!

This sounds like one of DH and my favorite, quick and easy suppers. We don't grill, so I use a saute or a wok pan. Saute all the veggies, cut up, seasoned as you wish, salt & Pepper and other seasoning which there are lots of unique combos in the spice section or what you have on hand. If you have an onion, slice that up and add the canned tomatoes in place of a fresh tomato.

I would season some of the boneless chicken, cut up in pieces, saute until done and serve the chicken on top of the veggie mix. I use this quick supper so many times, just varying the veggies and never tire of it. Very tasty and easy since you eyeball your seasonings as to the amount used. Have a salad or not or brown rice or some angel hair pasta. Any starch would go or leave it out and just enjoy the veggies and chicken.

This is one of my "imagination" recipes.

Well the eggplant and zucchini still sits in the fridge until tomorrow.

JHaris -- thanks for the ideas.

I ended up having a chicken, avocado, tomato sandwich. Capped off by way tooooo many cherries.

I guess this thread inspired me! I was in the store this afternoon, trying to decide what to do for my Sunday evening cooking project and thought about all the fresh herbs at home, red bell pepper, red onion, Sweet 100s tomatoes, etc. and came home with an eggplant and a zucchino and a few large mushrooms. Also ricotta, fresh mozzarella, and a small piece of provolone. All the veggies are cooked (wow, that took a long time!) and I'm heading out soon to make some kind of a sauce with the provolone. Not sure what the result will be, but I'm looking forward to trying it!

I am not usually a big fan of eggplant, but I hate to waste it when I get it from my CSA. I decided to try the ratatouille pasta since I had just about two cups each of eggplant and zucchini, and I was really surprised how much I liked it! It looked really nice too. I put it in a 9-inch cake pan, and it looked so good I had to take a picture of it. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll keep it in mind for future CSA eggplant.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Well the eggplant and zucchini still sits in the fridge until tomorrow.

JHaris -- thanks for the ideas.

I ended up having a chicken, avocado, tomato sandwich. Capped off by way tooooo many cherries.
    Is there such a thing as too many cherries, either sweet red or royal anne? One time outside of Quebec we stopped by a roadside stand and bought a 5 lb container of sweet red cherries. thinking we would have a lot left over when we finally got home. It was for healthy snacking on the road. Didn't even wash them, and ended up finishing off the whole container! Oh boy were they good and other than feeling a bit overstuffed, no "problems."

Canice -- Your meal sounds great. I stopped reading after fresh mozzarella. What a nice way to spend a Sunday evening.

Andrea -- Glad that you enjoyed the recipe. I ended up winging a Ratatouille recipe and it was great. Have lots left over. I was surprised how much it made.

JHaris -- I love cherries, and to me there really is no such thing as too many. I can polish off quite a few (that's an understatement). Funny when I see the garbage full of pits. It's one of my absolute favorite foods.