Community Message Boards

Thread: How to make a good chai tea latte?

How to make a good chai tea latte?

I am not a coffee drinker and new to tea so I'm clueless on this. Don't even know how to use a coffee maker.

I do love chai tea latte when I order it at a coffee shop. I see them pull out the cartons of chai tea 'mix' the same sutff I"ve used at home. But at home I just microwave the milk and it doesn't taste as good as when I order out. At the coffee shops they're using their machine - seems to be an expresso machine. Are they just steaming the milk? Is there something I can buy for home use to do this - I don't think I need the whole expresso maker if I just want the milk steamed.

They froth the milk (or whatever the technical term is). I'm sure you can buy something to do it but I don't know much about that.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Lots of options for frothing milk:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14042381

Here is a recipe from Real Simple that we tried recently and really liked....

creamy chai iced tea

Directions
    1.In a small saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Remove from heat, add 4 chai tea bags, and let steep for 10 minutes; discard the bags and let the tea cool.
    2.Serve over ice and top off each glass with 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk. (I used fat free)

By Sara Quessenberry, July 2010

The only issue was that you had to stir quite a bit to mix the milk in as it tended to sink to the bottom, but if you were to froth it (or maybe an immersion blender?) that would probably fix that problem. It was very tasty and refreshing on a hot day!

Oops, sorry, I didn't see that you were asking about hot tea. Oh, well.....maybe this is another option you can try on a warmer day...
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSD View Post
    I am not a coffee drinker and new to tea so I'm clueless on this. Don't even know how to use a coffee maker.

I do love chai tea latte when I order it at a coffee shop. I see them pull out the cartons of chai tea 'mix' the same sutff I"ve used at home. But at home I just microwave the milk and it doesn't taste as good as when I order out. At the coffee shops they're using their machine - seems to be an expresso machine. Are they just steaming the milk? Is there something I can buy for home use to do this - I don't think I need the whole expresso maker if I just want the milk steamed.
    This is a recipe I have been making for a long time and love it in the winter on a cold day. I love Chai latte in the coffee shops as well, but it can get very expensive.
    You can buy a milk foamer, but I use my Immersion blender to foam the milk after I make the tea.
    Chai Tea
    2 cups water
    4 english breakfast tea bags
    2 cups milk
    2 tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    Bring water to a boil;add tea bags . Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. remove tea bags. Stir in remaining ingredients( milk through nutmeg)Heat to boiling. Transfer mixture to a blender. Blend on high speed until frothy. Pour tea into cups , spooning foam onto serving. It may be necessary to blend a portion of the tea a second time to develope enough foam to top each serving. Serves 4 to 6
    From the Blue Flame kitchen
    Notes: I just leave the tea in the pot I heated it in and use the Immersion Blender to foam the milk.You may not want to use 4 tea bags as I find this a little strong . I use 2 o r3 bags depending on my mood as to how strong I want the tea.
    Enjoy!
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

both of those recipes soound yummy - will give them a try. I actually do have a milk frother that came with a hot cocoa pot and didn't think to try that. I also have an immersion blender. Good to be able to use tools I already own,

Different coffee shops make slightly different-tasting chai lattes, but I have pretty successfully replicated the Starbucks one. I use my local grocery store chain's chai teabags, steep one in heated milk (microwaved), and add vanilla syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    Different coffee shops make slightly different-tasting chai lattes, but I have pretty successfully replicated the Starbucks one. I use my local grocery store chain's chai teabags, steep one in heated milk (microwaved), and add vanilla syrup.
    The reason I like this recipe is I don't always have Chai tea in the house and have not found many store bought ones that have the flavour I am looking for.
    This one can be made when I fancy a cup of Chai , no Chai tea bags required.
    The vanilla syrup may make a difference in the taste of the tea. I will have to try this one day when I find some good Chai tea .
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith