Community Message Boards

Thread: Roasting Whole Chicken - Crockpot

Roasting Whole Chicken - Crockpot

Just wondering if people have experience with this and if it works out nicely. I've found a few recipes online that say you can do this but I'm worried I'll end up with something that resembles boiled chicken.

Does the skin crisp up? How many hours does this cook? Any recipes?

Thanks

I've cooked whole chickens in my crockpot, but they have not turned out to be anything like roasted chicken. Roasting involves higher heat and crockpots are low and slow. I do like the chicken, they are a no fuss way to cook a chicken to provide meat for chicken salad and/or casseroles.

My recipe is to put some sliced onions and carrots and cloves of garlic in the crock, put the chicken in and turn it on.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I "roast" a crockpot chicken using 3 fist-sized balls of foil in the bottom of the pot to sit the chicken on and add NO additional liquid. I use Lawery's seasoned salt (sometimes also stuff w/ some celery, onion, carrot) and cook on HIGH for about 4-5 hours - more or less as needed. It looks and tastes like the roasted chickens that you buy in the grocery store deli...

I haven't done a chicken. But I did do a turkey breast and it was the great. The best turkey breast I've ever cooked. I would definately do it again. I'm sure the chicken would be good also. Don't know about a crispy skin though.

I cook whole chickens in the crockpot all the time... I use the foil balls, season the bird with my chicken seasoning, stiff the cavity with half a lemon and squeeze the other half over the chicken before starting the cooking........the lemon gives it a really nice flavor but alas! no crispy skin but a tasty chicken.

Thanks, the recipe I found suggested the foil ball method - and using a small crock. Good to know this actually does turn into roasted chicken

I've done this recipe several times and one does not get what I would call "roast chicken" - i.e. the same consistency of meat one would get in an oven.

The crockpot is essentially steaming the bird even if it is resting on top of foil since a crockpot is cooking with low moist heat and an oven provides dry heat - and the best roast chicken recipes in my experience use high heat.

The skin turns out disgusting. I now get rid of most of it before cooking as well as all the fat I can cut off. This helps cut down the amount of fatty liquid at the bottom.

Because of the slow moist heat the collagen in the bones has essentially melted so the bird collapses. Collagen melting tenderizes meat which is why slow braises (or crockpot cookery) are ideal for tough cuts.

The flesh just doesn't seem the same as a roast chicken.

So - it's not "roast chicken" but it's not terrible in terms of results. I generally have used it when whole chickens are ridiculously cheap and so I spice it up overnight and then put it in the pot in the morning and I have cooked chicken with a minimum of hassle.

However, roasting a chicken is so easy that if I had the approximately 2 hours necessary prior to dinner I would definitely roast. A good roast chicken is fit for even the most discerning palate - crockpot chicken is okay only because it's convenient.

The turkey breast sort of fell apart. But that's ok with me. It was the most moisture I've ever experienced with turkey breast.

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine View Post
    The turkey breast sort of fell apart. But that's ok with me. It was the most moisture I've ever experienced with turkey breast.
    I can see how the crock turkey breast would be more "acceptable" and I might have to try it. Thanks for the idea as I have been thinking about wanting some turkey sandwiches. Did you season or marinate it for a long period of time?

The actual breasts of the chicken were the best part although (at least in my opinion) were slightly "mushier" than a really good roasted chicken would be.

And aesthetically, I think there is the whole thing about presenting a whole chicken with the crispy golden skin. When I cooked the turkey breasts, I was just looking for good turkey breast meat and the presentation had nothing to do with it - know what I mean?

Here is the standard recipe which is supposed to taste like rotisserie chicken - and it does. But the texture is weird as posted above. Not terrible but not like roast chicken.

I take off the skin beforehand now - cut out the fat and don't bother with an onion. I have put lemons and garlic in the cavity. You could alter the spice rub - this is just if you want that rotisserie flavor.

I think 10 hours is way long with a new crockpot as those have a higher heat on low than the older models.

I don't think basting would be necessary as there is so much moisture cooking the bird that it's redundant and if you leave it overnight, the flesh has a lot of flavor from the rub.

Sticky Rotisserie Chicken
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: CLBB
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large roasting chicken
    1 cup chopped onion

Directions:

In small bowl, thoroughly combine all spices. Clean chicken well and remove giblets. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

Place aluminum wads in a crockpot. Place chicken on top of the aluminum wads in the crockpot and do not add any
    liquid. As the cooking process goes on the chicken will produce its own juices. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. The chicken will be falling off the bones.

Remove skin from chicken before eating.

i used to make chicken in the crockpot now and then (using the balls of foil method) because the kids liked it when they were growing up.

It makes more of a stewed chicken than a roast chicken IMO.

These days, I roast chicken in the oven. DH and I prefer it that way.

You know, I just seasoned the turkey breast the same way I would have seasoned it if I were going to roast it. So if you have a way you like, do that.

For mine, I chopped up some garlic and combined it with a little olive oil, salt, white pepper. Possibly some other spice, I can't remember. Rubbed it down good with that. Lifted the skin and rubbed it under the skin. Then, tried to stretch the skin back on. It might be good to use a toothpick to hold the skin on, but I didn't. Seems like I squeezed a lemon on it too. And probably put the lemon in the bottom of the crockpot. Along with a bay leaf. I can't remember if I added any extra moisture. Maybe I put a little water. But not much.

I actually did this for Thanksgiving last year. I didn't have a crockpot big enough for the turkey breast. I had to borrow one from a friend. However, after that, someone else told me that they just used their crockpot and wrapped aluminum foil around the top, securing it with a rubber band.

Agree that it's nothing like roasted in terms of flavor, crispness & color.

Whenever I've tried whole chix in the crockpot, it comes out kind of on the dry side. Not sure why?? I do the foil balls, no extra liquid and a handful of carrots & onions & seasoning.

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Agree that it's nothing like roasted in terms of flavor, crispness & color.

Whenever I've tried whole chix in the crockpot, it comes out kind of on the dry side. Not sure why?? I do the foil balls, no extra liquid and a handful of carrots & onions & seasoning.

Any ideas??
    You might be cooking it too long as I found 8 to 10 hours even on low excessive.

That said, the texture of the meat is strange. I don't know if "dry" is exactly right but it just doesn't have the mouth feel of well roasted chicken.

I find that the dark meat hold up better and the texture is more like dark roasted chicken so I eat that and then wind up using the breast meat for sandwiches or chicken salad where the texture isn't quite so apparent.

I understand the appeal of this if one is really pressed for time and want the whole chicken cooked when one comes home but I don't understand why anyone would make this in lieu of roasted whole chicken - or even roasted chicken parts in the oven. It's something I would make because I didn't have an oven; didn't want to heat up the oven; wasn't going to be home at all but it certainly isn't something that I would make because I wanted to have delicious roast chicken.

I have not found a meat recipe that equals overn roasted but find this "deli style" recipe to be close to the rotisserie chicks you get in the supermarket. Keeping it above the juices with the balls of aluminum foil keeps you from stewing it.

My problem is quality control of crockpots. I think we all rewrite our recipes for the product we buy, making 6 hrs. on HI seems a gamble.

Delistyle chicken in crockpot

1 chicken
    spray olive oil
    Lawry's seasoned salt -no substitutes
    Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with Lawry's. Spray inside of crock with pam.
    Note: Do not put any water in the crock

Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crock. The chicken is going to sit on these.

Put chicken back side down in crock on top of aluminum balls.

Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours.

Note: the person who posted this recipe said you had to use the aluminum to get the deli taste. I didn't believe it then, but boy do I now!
    This chicken tasted very close to one you would buy, precooked, in the deli section of your supermarket.

Now before you pooh..pooh..this one, give it a try.

Dawna

One more thing, before you ask "why only on high"..the taste won't be the same if you cook it on low. I can vouch for this.

Thanks for all the feedback!

The problem I have is that I'm away from the house for 9 hours, and if I'm home I'd rather cook the chicken in the oven. I was really hoping there would be a good way to roast one for 9 hours in the crock, but sounds like the best way is 4-6 hours on high. Grrr....

Quote Originally Posted by DCook View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback!

The problem I have is that I'm away from the house for 9 hours, and if I'm home I'd rather cook the chicken in the oven. I was really hoping there would be a good way to roast one for 9 hours in the crock, but sounds like the best way is 4-6 hours on high. Grrr....
    Or get a really big chicken...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I did it as a test today - 6 hours on high with the foil ball method. Definitely NOT roasted chicken. The chicken meat is fine though, it cooked nicely. Chicken skin looked like boiled chicken. Won't be repeating, but interesting experiment

Amarante

At what temperature and how long do you roast your chicken?? Thanks.

My experience today was the same as DCook. I did a 4.5 pound chicken for a little over 4 hours on high but that was too long. The chicken fell apart. No seasonings were used.

Richard

For those who are disappointed with the chicken in the crock pot, don't let that detour you from trying the turkey breast. It is the best way, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine View Post
    For those who are disappointed with the chicken in the crock pot, don't let that detour you from trying the turkey breast. It is the best way, imo.
    I was going to try it this week.

How long do you cook it for? The breasts that I see at the market are generally the half breasts. I don't think I've seen a whole turkey breast.

I did have a whole breast. I did it for Thanksgiving. Oh my, I don't exactly remember how long I did it. Seems like I put it in late the night before. So probably about 10 - 12 hours. However, I can tell you that I googled it and read many recipes so I'm sure I came up with the time that way. Which is what I would have to do again obviously. Sorry I'm not more help with that.