Community Message Boards

Thread: Pork Stew?

Pork Stew?

I have a boneless pork roast (can't remember the cut, I think its a loin - its not fatty) in my freezer and my poor husband has now admitted that he absolutely hates pork roast.

I would turn it into pulled pork, but I don't think this type of roast adapts to that well.

Wondering if there is a good stew recipe out there that I could use the pork for. Any ideas?

Hi, I was going to post a few minutes ago that your request is perfect timing. I just spent the last two days working on my pork binders, and then I just received this in an e-mail. Maybe you can run this by your DH while I type up some others.

Pork and Potato Verde

If requiring a gluten-free recipe, check the label of the indicated (*) recipe ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free.

Servings: 4

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 1/2 lbs. pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 (16-oz.) jar salsa verde*
    1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth*
    1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning (such as McCormick)*
    1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    2 green onions, sliced
    1 cup rinsed and drained black beans

Heat oil in a large saucepan; add pork and brown on all sides. Add salsa, chiles, broth and seasoning to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add potatoes; cook for 30 minutes more or until pork is very tender. Uncover; add green onions and beans and cook for about 5 minutes more or until sauce has thickened.

Nutrition Facts:
    Calories: 560
    Fat: 15g
    Cholesterol: 160mg
    Sodium: 1300mg
    Vitamin C: 45%
    Carbohydrates: 41g
    Fiber: 6g
    Protein: 62g
    Potassium: 1464mg

Source: United States Potato Board

Do you like spicy? Carne adovada or green chile stew come to mind.

Santa Fe School of Cooking has good recipes for both (I've used pork loin in the green chile stew one)

http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Re...ada/index.html

http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Re...tew/index.html

Michelle

Here is one for your slow cooker

Autumn Harvest Stew

Makes: 4 servings

Prep: 25 mins
    Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs

1 pound boneless pork shoulder
    2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potatoes
    2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 3/4 cups)
    2 small cooking apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 3/4 cups)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups apple cider or apple juice

1. Trim fat from meat. Cut pork into 1-inch cubes.

2. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker layer potatoes, parsnip, apples, and onion. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add meat. Pour apple cider or juice over all.

3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Ladle into bowls. Makes 4 servings.

Source: www.bhg.com

Thanks. I've found lots of recipes with a mexican or latin twist, and that wasn't really what I was thinking - I was more thinking just meat-and-potatoes comfort food stew. I don't mind exotic flavors, but not sure I want them in stew form.

The last recipe sounds good, thanks! I also found this old CL one that sounded good, although it isn't highly reviewed (but only has a few reviews)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mapl...0000000223075/

Maple Pork-and-Vegetable Stew

• YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup stew and 1 cup rice
    Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 (1 1/2-pound) boned pork loin roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 2 cups diced onion
    • 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, quartered
    • 1 3/4 cups (1/8-inch) diagonally sliced carrot
    • 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
    • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
    • 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon country-style Dijon mustard
    • 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
    • Sage sprigs (optional)
    Preparation

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the pork; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add remaining pork; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Return pork to pan; add carrot and next 7 ingredients (carrot though beer). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until pork is tender.

Combine cornstarch, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk. Add to pork mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with rice. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.

This is a really delicious chile. I don't make it with a loin which is fatty. I've used some kind of leaner pork roast - maybe a sirloin? At any rate, I think it would be fine with a leaner cut like you are describing because I've always used a lean cut to make it healthier.

I don't use 8 tablespoons of oil to saute either.

It freezes well.

All Day Pork Loin Chili
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Party Line Boys
    Serving Size: 16

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 lbs. boneless pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch dice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
    3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
    3 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup prepared black coffee
    1/2 cup bourbon
    2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
    2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1 cup sour cream, for serving
    1 small can sliced or chopped jalapenos, for serving
    2 cups shredded cheddar, for serving

Directions:

Pour 4 tablespoons of the oil into a large, heavy bottomed stockpot and place over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season the pork with a dash of salt and pepper and brown it in batches, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Set aside the browned pork.

Pour the remaining oil into the pot and add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos. Season the veggies with the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and cilantro. Sweat the vegetable mixture over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the pork back to the pot along with the tomatoes, honey, coffee, bourbon. Add the beans, stir well, bring up to a simmer and then lower the heat to the lowest setting.

Let simmer 2 to 3 hours, until the pork is juicy and buttery soft. Serve directly from the stovetop with side bowls of sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheddar

Quote Originally Posted by DCook View Post
    Thanks. I've found lots of recipes with a mexican or latin twist, and that wasn't really what I was thinking - I was more thinking just meat-and-potatoes comfort food stew. I don't mind exotic flavors, but not sure I want them in stew form.
    Oops, was just going to post my "Beans 'n' Butt" stew - but definitely Latin flavors. I also like it in Thai curries but guessing that's out? Now you've got me thinking about pork and bn squash and shallots and mushrooms...already thinking about a new pork stew for Sunday cooking
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have to laugh--I thought I would have tons of suggestions until I read further and realized you did not want exotic flavors. Anyway, this is the most non-exotic I came up with; pictures can be found through the link:

Pork Tenderloin with Apples & Sour Cream
    Adapted from Apple Cookbook, Olwen Woodier

2 pork tenderloins, trimmed of their silver skin and rubbed with salt and pepper
    2 T olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 medium onions, sliced into rings
    6-8 cloves garlic, minced
    1 2-inch piece ginger, minced
    2 t ground cumin
    1/2 t cinnamon
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup white wine
    1/3 cup apple cider
    1 5.5 oz can tomato juice
    2 T cornstarch
    1-2 T honey
    1 15 oz can Great Northern beans (or equivalent cooked, which is what I did–and any white bean should work)
    3 Golden Delicious apples
    1 cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 275 F.

Heat an oval dutch oven, 4-6 qt, over medium high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Brown the pork tenderloin on both sides–it will take about 10 minutes total. Remove and set aside.

Add the chopped onion to the pan and some of the apple cider if it is too hot. Sprinkle some salt on the onions. Cook until translucent, at which point add the garlic and ginger. Cook another 5 minutes. Add the spices and stir to prevent browning.

Mix the cider, tomato juice and wine. Reserve about 3 tablespoons and add the rest into the pot and bring to a boil. While it is boiling, whisk the cornstarch into the reserved liquid. Add the cornstarch and honey and mix it into the pot.

Add the pork tenderloins back into the pot, with all of their juices. Cover them with the onion rings. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the pot and press it down so that it is about 1 inch above the food. Cover the pot with a heavy, tight-fitting lid and place in the oven. At this point, the timing is very flexible–at 275 F it is unlikely you will dry out the pork. I checked mine after about 1 1/2 hours, and it was falling apart and tender.

45 minutes before serving peel and core the apples and chop them into chunks. Drizzle them with a little cider vinegar to prevent browning.

Place the sour cream in a bowl. Slowly whisk by the tablespoon some of the sauce into the sour cream. This will temper the sour cream, allowing it to heat up without curdling when it hits the sauce. When it is warm and no longer chilled at all, mix it all back into the pot. Add the apples and beans and re-cover. Turn the heat up to 325 F and place the pot back into the oven for 45 minutes.

Before serving, make some egg noodles (or rice would work too). I used a combo of whole wheat and regular, which is why their color varies in the pictures. Serve the pork and sauce ladled on top of the noodles.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DCook View Post
    I would turn it into pulled pork, but I don't think this type of roast adapts to that well.
    Just wanted to chime in that your cut does adapt well to becoming pulled pork. I recently did a loin roast in the slow cooker that came out amazing!

Cut your roast in half and place in the slow cooker. Add 1 bottle (or two cups) of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Shred the meat and stir it all up. May need to add a bit of water to loosen up the mixture.

I have an ancient slow cooker and my roast was still pretty firm at 6 hours, so I cranked it up to high for another 2. It still looked firm, but fell apart when attacked w/ a couple of forks. I didn't have to add any water as the condensation from the lid was plenty. This was excellent and I'm so happy I can buy this leaner cut to make BBQ.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

This is one of my new favorites...tastes different every time I make it as I use different salsas and different cuts of pork roast and I usually pick one that is not fatty...

Chalupas -- Crock Pot Version

1 # dry pinto beans
    3 # boneless pork
    6 cups water
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2T chili powder
    1T cumin seeds
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1T salt
    1 4oz can diced green chilies
    1/2 - 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (or any brand of salsa)

Put all ingredients in dutch oven or crock pot. Cover and simmer about 5 hours or until roast falls apart and the beans are soft. Uncover shred the meat and cook to thicken to desired consistency. If using a crock pot cook on low for 8-9 hours. Check after 5 hours to make sure the beans haven't absorbed all the liquid. Add 1 cup water at that time if you need to. After the meat is cooked and beans are soft shred the pork. Enjoy this with corn or flour tortillas and with toppings of your choice. (or enjoy it over rice or tortilla chips, i.e. fritos)
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    This is a really delicious chile. I don't make it with a loin which is fatty. I've used some kind of leaner pork roast - maybe a sirloin? At any rate, I think it would be fine with a leaner cut like you are describing because I've always used a lean cut to make it healthier.

I don't use 8 tablespoons of oil to saute either.

It freezes well.
    I can vouch for this one as well - received rave reviews every time I've made it!

I make this with a tenderloin, so a pork loin or other pork roast would be fine.

Chipotle Pork Soft Tacos

1-1/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 2” cubes
    2 tsp. dried granulated garlic
    2 tsp. cumin
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    7 oz. can chipotle sauce***
    Flour or corn tortillas
    Queso fresco or shredded Monterey jack cheese
    Additional toppings:
    Chopped onion
    Chopped cilantro
    Sour cream
    Sliced avocado

Placed cubed tenderloin in crockpot; top with garlic, cumin, and oregano. Pour chipotle sauce over meat and cook 6 hours on low or until meat is tender. Shred pork with forks. If there is too much sauce, boil meat mixture for a few minutes in a sauté pan.

Wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel and warm in microwave on high for 30 seconds or until heated.

Place pork in heated tortillas and top with cheese and other toppings as desired.

**If you can’t find chipotle sauce (don’t substitute a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce), substitute 8 oz. tomato sauce and 1 or 2 diced canned chipotle peppers, depending on how hot you like things.

Ancho Pork and Hominy Stew
    Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (28-ounce) can hominy, drained
    1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained

Preparation
    1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; set 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture aside. Add pork to remaining spice mixture in bowl, tossing well to coat.
    2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pork from pan; set aside. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Return pork to pan. Add reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture, broth, hominy, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes (You could also cook in the crockpot at this point).

Nutritional Information
    Calories: 300 ; Fat: 8.3g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.4g); Protein: 28.9g; Carbohydrate: 26.9g; Fiber: 6.1g; Cholesterol: 76mg; Iron: 3.2mg; Sodium: 523mg; Calcium: 51mg