Community Message Boards

Thread: Emeril's Sizzling Skillets and Other One Pot Wonders?

Emeril's Sizzling Skillets and Other One Pot Wonders?

Does anyone have this book yet? I looked through it yesterday at B&N. Looked pretty good -- at least 12 recipes I'd like to try.

Was hoping for some reviews before I buy -- I've been limiting my cookbook purchases, so each one needs to be worth it

I am getting this book for christmas, so I have no reviews for you, but I can tell you that there were many, many recipes that I want to try. The only section in the book that I didn't really care for was the "wok" section, at a quick glance there didn't seem to be anything I want to make.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but it is on my wish list--not because it is Emeril so much as because I love anything that focuses on one pot meals, which I prefer as a cook and an eater. So I will be anxious to hear reviews.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

My sentiments exactly -- with all three of you! I just ordered it, though. Should be here on Monday! Will be nice to have over Thanksgiving weekend.
    Stacy

While I am getting this book for xmas, there was one recipe that really caught my eye. So while waiting for the book, I found the recipe on the web and made it tonite for dinner.

It was fast and easy and had great flavour, will be a repeater.

Pasta with Chicken and Pesto Cream Sauce
    (Called something else in the book)

Ingredients
    1 pound short pasta shape
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    3/4 cup olive oil
    3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup onion, diced
    2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    9 ounces baby spinach
    1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 1/4 teaspoons lemon zest
    1 cup fresh basil, packed
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    3 1/2 cups milk
    8 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded

Instructions
    1. Bring large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than directed on packaging. Drain well and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, toss to coat, and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until chicken is opaque and cooked through, about 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan.

3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pot and add onion, cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 to 2 minutes. Return chicken to pot and add pasta. Stir to combine.

4. Combine pine nuts, red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic in food processor. Pulse until blended and scrape down sides with rubber spatula. Add basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Pulse until completely blended.

5. Heat oven to broil.

6. In pot used to cook pasta, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add milk, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pesto, 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

7. Stir pesto sauce and remaining lemon zest into Dutch oven and stir well to combine. Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese and broil until pasta is heated through and top is golden brown and bubbly, about 4 to 6 minutes.

This recipe is from Emeril’s Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders.

http://mangeratrois.net/index.php/re...to-cream-sauce

That sounds SO good!

I'm getting ready to place my Amazon Christmas order. I always sneak in one or two cookbooks for myself Looking forward to getting this one LOL

I gave in and ordered it. I refuse to put cookbooks that thegoodcook sells on my xmas list because if I shop wisely I can get them so cheaply (for example, I used thegoodcook points and bought this for $4.99). So as long as I was taking advantage of some other clearance items that I feared would be gone after xmas, I figured why not? They said it shippef so I will report back after I get it.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I don't belong to the Good Cook anymore. It was at least 10 years go that I did it. Guess I should check it out again.

Got my book and made the Cola-Braised Pot Roast with Vegetables last night. It was excellent! Tender and moist with great flavor. The vegetables were perfect, too. I shaved 15 minutes from the meat cooking time and another 15 minutes from when the vegetable were added and I'd do that again. I don't think another 30 minutes would have hurt it but we just needed to eat!

I also made a chili based on the one in the book but I changed so many thing based on what I had that I wouldn't call it his recipe. That's for dinner tonight. I'm sure it will be good as well!

I thought all the pasta recipes sounded great (especially that one, ctr) but since we had lasagna and spaghetti & meatballs for Thanksgiving, I'll have to wait a while to try one of those.
    Stacy

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I gave in and ordered it. I refuse to put cookbooks that thegoodcook sells on my xmas list because if I shop wisely I can get them so cheaply (for example, I used thegoodcook points and bought this for $4.99). So as long as I was taking advantage of some other clearance items that I feared would be gone after xmas, I figured why not? They said it shippef so I will report back after I get it.
    Glad you gave in, too! I love it when there's a group of us trying different things. I may learn about one that I never would have tried on my own.
    Stacy

So, I joined Good Cook last night (Laura is an enabler ), so I ordered this one as my 50% off purchase. Can't wait to get it!

Cola braised pot roast sounds insane! The weather in Philly has been wacky (it's been close to 70 for days now), but the pot roast sounds great for the chilly weather we're expecting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    So, I joined Good Cook last night (Laura is an enabler ), so I ordered this one as my 50% off purchase. Can't wait to get it!

Cola braised pot roast sounds insane! The weather in Philly has been wacky (it's been close to 70 for days now), but the pot roast sounds great for the chilly weather we're expecting this weekend.
    Hurray!!! Glad you're joining the fun. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and am jealous of you 70's weather. It was 39 here this morning . Boo!!! Do you need me to post the pot roast recipe? Not sure if you'll have you book by the weekend.
    Stacy

Stacy, I would love the recipe, if you have the time.

I guess the Dallas heat wave is finally over LOL The weather is just wacky. My geraniums are blooming again. It snowed Halloween weekend, and now we're in t-shirts again. Crazy!

Don't know how psyched my DH will be about the Good Cook But I'm happy -- got this book, Comfort Food Fix, Spilling the Beans (a new book by the author of One Smart Cookie), One Pot Wonders, All About Roasting, and Casserole Queens. All for $44! My next purchase (to complete my requirements) will be Cookiepedia. And I was psyched to see Pretty Delicious by Candace Kumai on clearance for $9!

Alleycat, I think we have very similar tastes in cookbooks! I bought Comfort Food Fix and I've been thinking about the roasting book. I've really tried to restrain myself, though.

I think the weather everywhere has gone crazy. I just have no idea what to expect anymore.

Here's the pot roast recipe. It really was fabulous!

Cola-Braised Pot Roast with Vegetables
    Emeril Lagasse - Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders

Here’s a comfort-food classic with a sauce that gets a hint of sweetness when you add your favorite cola. Choose a chuck roast that is nicely marbled – the meat will remain moist and flavorful after the slow braising.

4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast (mine was tied)
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves (Penzey’s boquet garni)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups beef stock or canned low-sodium beef broth, plus more as needed
    One 12-ounce can cola soda
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 medium onions, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
    2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
    2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
    2 medium carrots, peeled and cut on the bias into 2-inch chunks
    3 celery ribs, cut on the bias into 2-inch chunks
    2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour (I had to double this since I had a lot of liquid)

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

2. Season the roast well on all sides with the pepper and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Combine the garlic, rosemary, and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt on a cutting board and use the side of a knife to mash them into a paste. Using a small paring knife, make thin slits on all sides of the roast, about 2 inches apart, and fill the holes with the garlic-rosemary paste. Repeat until you have used all the paste.

3. Heat a Dutch oven over high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the roast and cook until very well browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes total. Add the stock and cola and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. Add the tomato paste and stir to blend. The liquid should reach about halfway up the sides of the roast; add a little more stock or water if needed. Cover the Dutch oven, place in the oven, and roast for 2 hours, turning the meat after 1 hour and adding extra water if necessary to keep the liquid level at about one-third of the way up the sides of the roast. Add the vegetables, making sure they are completely submerged in the liquid, and continue to cook, covered, until the roast if fork-tender and the vegetables are tender, about 1 ½ hours longer.

4. Remove the roast from the oven and carefully transfer the meat to a serving platter. Cover loosely to keep warm. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, set aside in a bowl, and cover to keep warm.

5. Skim off as much of the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid as possible and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Transfer the reserved skimmed fat to a small heatproof bowl and stir in the flour to make a smooth paste. Add ½ cup of the hot braising liquid to the bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk this mixture into the liquid remaining in the Dutch over, then place the pan over high heat on the stovetop. Cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and any floury taste is gone. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

6. Slice the roast and serve with the hot gravy and vegetables.

4 to 6 servings

Enjoy!
    Stacy

Snicker.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

It arrived today, so all I have done is browse through it, but I love it. Or I guess I should say I love the kind of recipes he picked, and in IME his recipes usually work out well. It's a keeper.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I finally saw it at BJ's today. Figures, since I just ordered it LOL

I finally saw it at BJ's today. Figures, since I just ordered it LOL
    I hate that.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/