Community Message Boards

Thread: ? about New York Roast and Standing Roast

? about New York Roast and Standing Roast

My grocer has them on sale the New York at $5.50 a lb and the Standing rib roast at %7.99 a #. Are these good prices? and how do you cook a New York Roast?

TIA

Laurie

Are they select or choice? Those prices are great if they are choice. I have cooked a New York strip roast, and it roasted very well. You can see the marbeling on the strip steaks, but it's difficult to tell with a roast. I cut slits in the strip roast and stuffed with garlic, salt, pepper, along with herbs on the outside, then I seared it and plopped into a hot oven. Hope this helps.

What grade of beef? If no grade mentioned, it's probably select, which is going to have the least marbling/tenderness/flavor. Choice is higher and Prime higher still (don't be mislead by an ad that calls them "Prime Rib Roast" unless it actually says USDA Prime).

The prices are what I often see for select grade. If choice grade it's a decent (not anything special) sale price, at least compared to what I usually see around here.

A NY Roast is the subprimal from which strip steaks are cut, a boneless top loin (short loin). It's going to be a leaner cut than rib, so it would be a little less forgiving than the rib to do as a roast and not have it end up on the dry side.

Michelle

They are both choice. the New York says Black Angus choice, is this better than regular choice?

Also I am very comfused, I thought a standing rib roast was a prime rib? THis looks like a beef tenderloin.

Laurie

Wow. I'm from NY and raised a beef herd and have never heard of NY cut

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    They are both choice. the New York says Black Angus choice, is this better than regular choice?
    Just a marketing term. Look for "USDA Choice" to be sure as that's the official grading.

They do say USDA choice, but bugs me it is not on the packaging but says it in the ad.

Well I just wickied and am right it is a prime rib. I don't know why I did not question the butcher, when I asked him the where sale rob roast was and walked over and point to this. It just says beef roast, so I am going to take it back, as I want a prime rib. I think it may be a boneless ribeye roast, but there is not a lot of marbling.

Laurie

Also I am very comfused, I thought a standing rib roast was a prime rib? THis looks like a beef tenderloin.

Laurie
    I think Black Angus is better than choice. A beef tenderloin is long and thinner than a rib roast. Think pork tenderloin but larger, while a rib roast is a hunk'o beast. You can see the ribs- my favorite pieces!
    Last edited by vbak; 11-20-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Well I just wickied and am right it is a prime rib. I don't know why I did not question the butcher, when I asked him the where sale rob roast was and walked over and point to this. It just says beef roast, so I am going to take it back, as I want a prime rib. I think it may be a boneless ribeye roast, but there is not a lot of marbling.

Laurie
    A prime rib is exactly that- a prime piece of meat that is a rib roast. A standing rib is the beef rib roast, choice or select. If it were bonesless rib eye, it would be round. Do you see bones?

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Nice to "see You". Marge SLP.

Vicky

A prime rib is exactly that- a prime piece of meat that is a rib roast. A standing rib is the beef rib roast, choice or select. If it were bonesless rib eye, it would be round. Do you see bones?
    It is boneless, so I think it is a boneless ribeye. So their advertisement is wrong.

Marg, you have never heard of a New York Strip steak?

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    A prime rib is exactly that- a prime piece of meat that is a rib roast. A standing rib is the beef rib roast, choice or select.
    Actually, I believe this varies depending on your region. Where I am in the Midwest, it's considered more of a cut--i.e. it will be tagged and advertised as prime rib, but if you specifically ask the grade, it's not prime, it's choice or select. I realize that technically, a prime rib has to be prime grade, but just pointing out that in practice, the phrase is not always used that way. (the one year I actually specifically special ordered a prime grade rib--I think it was 4 or 6 ribs--it was over $200, and that was 5 yrs ago)
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui