Community Message Boards

Thread: Whats your ethnic heritage?

Whats your ethnic heritage?

Recently my parents were doing our family tree and found out we had some ancestors from Ireland which I found interesting. Is their anything interesting in your family tree? Possibly a famous ancestor? What is your ethnicity from both your mother and fathers side?

My father is Irish and English
    My mother is German

My mother's family came from the Alsace region, and Grandma, formerly Acquard, married a Hummel.

My father's family were Polish all the way.

My father's family emigrated to the US, via Brazil, from Germany/Estonia.
    My mother's family was English/Irish.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Scotish-Irish on my dad's side.
    My children have some American Indian from their dad.
    My mom never asked. She came from the French Family....wonder if that means anything?
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

My Mom and Dad are both all Italian.
    My husband is a mixture of many things. My favorite description is one my daughter gave to her kindergarten class when they were looking into nationalities, she described her background as follows: "I'm part Irish, I'm part Polish, but mostly I'm New Jersey"

Northern European, mostly Scandanavian. My father's folks came to the states from Denmark and my mother's side is a hodgepodge of Swedish, German, English, and French, in that order (we think).
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by DanaWhite View Post
    Is their anything interesting in your family tree? Possibly a famous ancestor?
    I'm sure a lot of you are too young to know who this is, but my father always told us that a distant aunt was the actress that played in the movies "The Perils of Pauline".

From Wikipedia

The Perils of Pauline is a motion picture serial shown in weekly installments featuring Pearl White as the title character. Pauline has often been cited as a famous example of a damsel in distress, although some analyses hold that her character was more resourceful and less helpless than the classic damsel stereotype.[1]

She is menaced by assorted villains, including pirates and Native Americans. Neither Pauline nor its successor, The Exploits of Elaine, used the so-called "cliffhanger" format in which a serial episode ends with an unresolved danger that is addressed at the beginning of the next installment. Although each episode placed Pauline in a situation that looked sure to result in her imminent death, the end of each installment showed how she was rescued or otherwise escaped the danger.

The serial had 20 episodes, the first being three reels (30 minutes) and the rest two reels (20 minutes) each. After the original run, it was reshown in theaters a number of times, sometimes in edited, shortened versions, through the 1920s. Today, The Perils of Pauline is known to exist only in a shortened 9 chapter version (approximately 214 minutes) released in Europe in 1916.

In 2008, The Perils of Pauline was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
    Last edited by cookieee; 11-22-2011 at 03:22 PM.

I'm 100% Polish; both grandmothers were born here, both grandfathers immigrated (or vice versa, I can't remember ).

No famous ancestors that I know of.

Michelle
    Last edited by mkc; 11-22-2011 at 03:53 PM.

My mom's side is English and Irish (my only claim to fame is one of her male ancestors came over on the Mayflower -- indentured servant)
    My dad's side is French, Polish and German...Polish and German because the town they were from was on the border and sometimes belonged to Germany and sometimes to Poland...

My dad always called us Heinz 57 mix...
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.-Proverbs

Scotch-Irish on my mother's side (Adlai Stevenson- former VP, and McClain Stevenson, MASH actor...guess what her maiden name was)

German on my dad's.

I did some research on both my Mom's and my Dad's heritage and it was fascinating, but became too much to absorb so I quit for a few months (going to start again after the New Year).

My grandfather and some of his siblings landed on Ellis Island in 1910, and shortly thereafter a huge earthquake in Italy destroyed their hometown and most of the family that remained there.

I was able to go back on Mom's dad side to the early 1600's in Germany which was very cool (one, after coming to the US, received medals for his work in the Revolutionary war) My grandmother's family, though, had too common a name and I couldn't find anything further back than her parents.

Now I'm anxious to get started again!

Cookieee, I remember studying The Perils of Pauline in film class at college!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

German and French on my father's side, Mexican on my mother's (although my aunt recently mentioned there was a Russian Jewish great-great grandmother, I have no idea how she ended up in Mexico, but would love to find out!)
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaL View Post
    Cookieee, I remember studying The Perils of Pauline in film class at college!
    Thank you, that is fascinating to know. Also, we are all from Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    German and French on my father's side, Mexican on my mother's (although my aunt recently mentioned there was a Russian Jewish great-great grandmother, I have no idea how she ended up in Mexico, but would love to find out!)
    Scroll down to "Mexico Today".
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

My mom's 100% Polish; many of her relatives came from a town called Posen, Poland.

My dad's family is 100% German; many of his relatives came from a town called Posen, Germany.

It was the same town. The border just changed between the time the families left the area.

Mostly Polish with a bit of Irish.....I learned to speak
    Polish when I was 4 yrs old.....if fact we, DH and I have to speak Polish in front of the dog, when it comes to food, ride, walk, or go outside. Oh yes DH is Polish with some German.
    V.

lots of polish heritage here!

my dad's parents and his brother and sister came from poland (domoradz) - he was the youngest and born here. still in touch with cousins in poland they all live in warsaw- they have visited dh and i here in dc- grew up going to a polish grade school (there was also the italian one and the irish one and the everyone else one lol) going to mass in polish- could speak a wee bit and understand a bit of what was said at the sunday dinner table but don't speak it

my mom has irish background (limerick) and some french, german, english and austrian -
    and growing up in west virginia we counted southern as background! my moms family is from savannah, sc and florida

both dh's parents have irish- his mom's family is from county mayo- his dad has a bit of english
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    Thanks, Leslie! The mention of a Jewish community in Guadalajara makes sense, that is the area my grandparents are from.
    Lucinda

Polish from my mother, her ancestors were from Posen, Poland.

English from my father.

Carole

Mom's side: Irish and Scot --- (but, her dad was BORN in Canada)

Dad's side: English (his mom), Russian or German (his dad) --- we've traced the family tree back to Peter Tauber emmigrating FROM Rotterdam to Philadelphia in 1752, but we know that is not where he lived prior to immigration.

Prior to 1752, it's very fuzzy as to whether he came from the northern part of Germany, Russia or even possibly the Alsace region of France. We're also not sure when the name changed from Tauber to Daubert --- it could have happened at the Port of Philadelphia when he registered to live in Pennsylvania or when he was conscripted to the Army during the American Revolution (Battle of Fort Washington). After the Revolutionary War, he was given a land grant in payment for service to the Army since the government had no cash to pay him and the name on the land grant was Peter Daubert.

Our closest brush with fame: My grandfather's cousin (Jake Daubert) was a famous baseball player in the 1920's. He played for the Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Nationals and held a batting record that is in dispute because it occurred during the "dead ball era". We love him anyways.

My grandparents on my dad's side came as teens from Germany. My mom's side are all mutts. Lol. I love them anyway.

Officially Russian on all sides, but who really knows since in the early 1900's all the other countries we just called Russia and records weren't kept very well.
    And to be honest, I actually identify as Jewish rather than Russian (only time I claim it as an ethnic group) as I would tell you I am American before I would tell you I was Jewish.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?