Community Message Boards

Thread: 8 lb prime rib - cooking time & method?

8 lb prime rib - cooking time & method?

I've previously made some prime ribs before that have come out well, but never one this large. And I'm on tap to cook one tomorrow....

With smaller ones I have carmelized the outside in a pan and then roasted at 200-250 for an hour a pound. I don't think I want to be roasting my prime rib for 8 hours though...

From what I've googled, sounds like I can do the browning part in the oven at 450 or so for 20 minutes, then reduce to 275 and cook for about half an hour per lb. I DO have a meat thermometer that I will be using.

Ideas? Does that sound like a good plan, or should I just suck it up and cook it on low for most of the day?

Sneezles (Susan) posted teh 500 degree method.
    We had a small 5ish pounder and it worked beautifully.
    Since you base the initial cook time at the 500 on poundage, I think size is irrelevant.
    YUMMM.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

This is the recipe I use. It doesn't spatter the oven and make a mess.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prime Rib, tried and true

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Bring roast to room temperature. 1 to 3 hours before cooking. Stud with garlic. Use a rack.

Lightly salt the meat. Add black freshly ground pepper.
    350F until a meat thermometer read between 123-125. Pull, coverly loosely with foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Perfect med. rare!!!!!
    You can fiigure anywhere from 14 to 20 minutes per pound to get a general roasting time. My roast was 9 lbs 11 oz. Put it in the oven for approximately a little under two hours. Delish>>>>>
    Resting and covering with foil is very important as it bring the meat up another 8+ degrees for a perfect med. rare.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We'll see - I browned on the stovetop and am trying 250 for half an hour per lb. Normally I've done a lower temp and an hour per lb and had good results, but everything I googled seemed to suggest my cook time was too long.

And one major pro of cooking on low - if its not going well I can always turn the heat up...

Inquiring minds....how did this turn out?

I don't know!

When I served it, I would have told you it was too rare for my taste. I cooked it to 135, let it rest for half an hour and it was still bloody (although to be fair, I have a cheap meat thermometer)

We had leftovers last night, and after a night in the fridge the beef was perfect. So I guess I didn't let it rest long enough

In any event, I think my husband likes it a bit more done so I may cook it from now on until 145ish, which I think was the USDAs assesment for medium rare. Even if it ends up medium, I think hubby likes it better that way