Community Message Boards

Thread: Holiday Craft Ideas For 2nd Graders??

Holiday Craft Ideas For 2nd Graders??

I did a search, but only a few threads came up and they are about 6-7 years old. So, I'm looking for some new ideas. I'm the room mom for DD's class and need to come up with some party activity ideas. I did talk to her teacher yesterday and she would like to do 3 different stations - a decorate a cookie station, a craft activity station, and a game station. I guess this is what she's done in her class the last couple of years. It's fine with me. I just need to figure out a craft and a game.

For the game, I was thinking of maybe printing a holiday word jumble page or something like that? Any other quick game to play with a holiday theme?

As for the craft, what I did for DD's class last year (I was the room mom then, too) was get clear glass ornaments, we covered them in glue and let the kids roll them in tiny glass beads and tied a ribbon on them. The kids really seemed to enjoy that, but there are a handful of kids from last year's class in her class this year. So, don't want to repeat that, even though DD has been asking me if she could make more.

Any ideas for a craft and a game would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the Family Fun website, but didn't really see anything that caught my eye, but I'll go back and look a little more thoroughly.

I've seen some cute crafts making snow globes which I think would be really fun for that age. Can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I'm sure it would come up with a quick Google search.

If you have gotten sucked into Pinterest, there are a TON of cute ideas there.

Also a few others I've bookmarked...

http://urbancomfort.typepad.com/urba...-the-kids.html

http://www.homemademamas.net/
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I never made these with my students but had really wanted to. Another did them, and they came out great. They're wreath ornaments for the tree made with Shredded Wheat.

I would go with generic winter crafts vs ornaments as not everybody has a tree.

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/sno...esnowflake.htm

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/sno...lSnowflake.htm (but I don't think you have enough time to let the paint dry)

http://www.bhg.com/christmas/crafts/...-sock-snowmen/
    (I think when my son did this they used rice to fill the body)

back to add...here is another sock snowman that looks even easier
    http://familycrafts.about.com/od/sno...owmanCraft.htm
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

We have to generic winter theme parties at my children's school.

Last year, we decorated gingerbread houses. I covered small boxes with brown paper and then bought glitter glue and the kids had a ball.

Previously, we made snowmen out of water bottles. This took me a couple of hours to prep, but it worked well for the kids.

My other son's class made gingerbread house cards out of brown construction paper. I bought stickers from Michaels for them to decorate with.

We made snowflakes a couple of years ago using craft sticks.

For a game, last year my first grader's class played picture bingo. There are free websites out there. I bought some puzzles from the $1 bin to use as prizes.

My oldest son's class had a snowball fight using cotton balls. It was so fun, but I think you really need a special teacher to allow that.

Michaels has some great foam crafts. You might want to check into them if you want some low stress easy to do items. I bought a package of 24 for about $4 last weekend.

Thank you for all of the ideas. I'm going to look through them all. I am on Pinterest, but haven't really been sucked in by it. But, I'll take a look.

The ornament we made last year would be nice hanging in a window or just displayed in a bowl. It was really cute. But, I am very conscious of trying not to overstep the religious bounds. I don't believe nor do I practice any religion. But, I do live in a bible belt area where most people are Christian (you can barely have a conversation with anyone without them mentioning their church). I know there aren't any Jewish kids, but there are one or two Jehovah's Witnesses who won't participate in the activities. So, yes, I try to stay as much with the generic holiday ideas as I can.

Also, our time is a bit limited as the day of the party will be a half day.

We used to make 'gingerbread' houses with graham crackers and royal icing and decorated with gum drops, sprinkles, hard candies, etc. Snowflakes are always fun too.
    Anne

I've made snowflakes with younger kids, but I think older ones would still like it. Prep by hot gluing all of your popsicle sticks together. They can paint both sides white and sprinkle with glitter or white snow. Think about whether this will have time to dry before they take it home

We've played bingo before -- more prep, but here's how we do it: Get a big "cube" shaped stamp and remove the stamp portion. Add a holiday sticker to each side of the cube. Make bingo sheets using corresponding holiday stickers. This is a little challenging to make and can be expensive. Also, you have to be sure each sticker is unique but can be duplicated on the bingo board. I think the kids used m&ms as bingo markers. And I think we let them take turns rolling the dice.

Good luck!

Another activity we used to do with our kids is gather snow and pour a bit of maple syrup or honey in a design on it, let it freeze, and then eat it. This would probably work with well crushed ice if you don't have snow. It does get a bit messy with the younger set.

Can the game be a physical activity or does it need to be calm and quiet?
    Anne

I don't think the game needs to be calm and quiet, but it shouldn't be too crazy. It will be in the classroom. I think a group of kids will decorate the cookies while another group makes the craft and the last group will play the game. So, it definitely can't be too chaotic.

It seems like I found quite a few neat ideas last year just by a google search, but nothing is too exciting from my search this time around. I appreciate the suggestions!

Another fun thing to do with the glass ornaments is to put a few drops of paint (no more than 3 colors or you get puce) and some glitter inside the ball, then roll it around between your hands to get a nice swirly effect. I've seen tutorials online for this. Nice thing is that it doesn't have to be completely dry before taking home b/c the paint is inside.

Paper snowflakes can be fun and easy. We've made them with round coffee filters...they look pretty in front of a window b/c the light shines through.

Minute to Win It

I'm the room mom for my daughter's 3rd grade class and am trying to figure out what to do for her holiday party. I'm toying with the idea of a holiday Minute to Win It and just do easy challenges that don't require a lot of props like the one where you put a cookie (gingerbread man perhaps?) on your forehead and maneuver it to your mouth without using your hands. Do y'all think that sounds fun or chaotic?
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

I think the Minute to Win It game sounds fun. I just can't imagine how you put a cookie on your forehead and maneuver it down your face.

LOL, I'm room mom for my 2nd grader's class and have been wondering the same thing.
    I head over to pintrest to see if I've pinned anything cute....annndd 2 hours later I'm back and...... I've got nothing - or let me rephrase that - not related to the task at hand!.

There's tons of cute Christmas-type stuff or food stuff, but still looking for a good semi-secular, non-food craft. I'll be be back if I find something
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

We always had Winter parties at school, not Holiday ... I think 2nd grade was the year they did the sock snowmen, and fancy paper snowflake ornaments. I also have 2 bookmarks, one is felt ice skates and one is felt mittens, connected by a piece of rick rack to stick in the book. The felt pieces were precut and decorated with glitter and sequins.

Games were things like bingo and word search.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I just saw these and they look great! Really adorable. There would be some prepping involved so things run smoothly, but the kids would LOVE it!
    http://lemondropsfoodie.blogspot.com...llow-mugs.html

I played a couple of games with my second grade brownie troop. They seemed to enjoy the Winter Pictionary one, and it was pretty quite. I had written out winter words like sledding, hot chocolate, snowman, etc., and they took turns drawing and having the others guess.

We also did snowball relays using a golf ball and pencil to push it around. That got a little wild.

We tried to do walking like a penguin with a beanbag on both feet, but that was pretty difficult to execute.

One we did not have time for was to pass a marble (or I was going to use a jingle bell) from person to person using paper towel cardboard rolls, cut in half to form a chute. Divide into teams and race.

There are some game ideas for you!

Related Question.....

Do you guys have a sign up list for parents to bring items OR do you ask for cash donations and get the stuff yourself (and if so, how much do you ask for)?

I swear this topic has come up before but I can't find it.
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

For the winter break and end of school year, my boys' school collects money in August and distributes it in December and May. Doing that task is actually one of my PTA jobs. You aren't allowed to donate anything for those parties.

For the minor parties, people just donate what they want and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Occassionally, I have bought all the stuff and people have given me money to for things like the juice boxes ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX View Post
    Related Question.....

Do you guys have a sign up list for parents to bring items OR do you ask for cash donations and get the stuff yourself (and if so, how much do you ask for)?

I swear this topic has come up before but I can't find it.
    As room parent, it is my responsibility to send out notes to the parents and request either supplies or cash. Last year, we made ornaments and I ended up just paying for everything. It wasn't much, maybe $20. I've decided to make the clothespin reindeer and put a magnet on the back. I bought all of the stuff, minus the clothespins, today. I can't find those flat clothespins anywhere here. The reindeer must be a popular craft this season. If I can't find them, I'll have to switch to some other craft. Maybe beaded candy canes and/or wreaths. I'll probably send a note asking that each parent send in $1-2 this time since we're also doing cookie decorating.

This blog post has some good ideas for festive Minute to Win It games:
    http://oncloud8.blogspot.com/2011/01...ent-night.html