Community Message Boards

Thread: Side dish for Coq au Vin

Side dish for Coq au Vin

I will be making Julia Child's Coq au Vin and wondered what would be an appropriate side dish. I am making it for my 90 year old mother, so something light would be needed. I am thinking maybe green beens almondine, parsleyed potatoes.
    Does anyone have a tried and true.
    newcook

I have Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The recipe states that, in France, Coq Au Vin is usually accompanied only by parsley potatoes. Julia suggests buttered green peas if you wish a green vegetable.

I've never had Coq Au Vin, but the recipe is very similar to Boeuf Bourguignon, which I grew up eating and have made numerous times. We always eat that with rice and it is delicious with rice. However, rice is a suggested accompaniment in MAFC.

Are parsley potatoes just potatoes boiled then tossed with parsley?
    newcook

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post
    Are parsley potatoes just potatoes boiled then tossed with parsley?
    Yes. Boil small potatoes (you can peel or not) then toss with butter, parsley and salt.

I've been debating replying to this because of my low-brow connection to Coq au Vin and decided what the heck!

I make this when we camp. My recipe is out of a one pot dutch oven cookbook. I use this recipe even if I'm not camping which has you throw the potatoes right in with the chicken so initially I was wondering why serve parsley potatoes when they're already in there. I'll go crawl back under my rock now!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I serve it (grouse version, not chicken) with potatoes because that's the way we ate it in France at one restraunt. I am clueless if this is 'normal French' or just that one dinner.
    Anne

Thanks everyone. I bought little tiny potatoes which should look quite pretty alongside the Coq au vin. I will prepare them as described by zwieback. I bought chicken legs because I saw the recipe version I copied spoke of chicken pieces, not realizing it should have been a whole chicken, but I prefer dark meat in this type of dish, so I think it should be ok. I also have peas and thin green beans, so I think I will ask my mother if she prefers peas or green beans almondine. I bought eclairs for dessert but she never ends up eating dessert. I just thought I should at least offer it and it will not go to waste anyways, trust me.
    Anyone have a tried and true green beans almondine just in case she asks for it?
    newcook

A little late... but I love these mashed potatoes with Coq au vin:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...otatoes-241169

I make this slow cooker coq au vin, and it's great:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1855

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    I don't think Coq au Vin is supposed to be a particularly fancy, gourmet dish; my impression is that it was originally used to make an old bird edible, which is why it's "coq" (rooster) instead of "poulet", which is a young hen or pullet. So your treatment of it as a one-dish meal is probably perfectly in tune with its origins.
    true. i love the way "la cucina povera" becomes haute in America... i'll bet that in Paris, they're not busy debating the "proper" toppings for hotdogs!
    and yes, i know i used the Italian phrase, but hey, it fits.

Whatever happens tonight, it can't be worse than residence food, although my mother says the food is very good where she is, that they have a real chef. I'm sure she will get a kick out of it when I put the match to the cognac. That will probably be more excitement than she has had all month.
    newcook