Community Message Boards

Thread: Expired Cookie Mix?

Expired Cookie Mix?

I am usually pretty good at knowing what is okay to use but not this time!! I have a couple of betty crocker sugar cookie mixes that expired in August ( I use them for the baklava bars that were a contest winner or finalist ) and wondered if I can use them. They have been stored in a cool place? Thoughts? Thanks!

Sheila in MD

I wouldn't hesitate to use them. They may lose flavor but healthwise they most likely fine.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I would expect it to still be good, but I'd try to use them soon. If they have oils that have turned rancid you will be able to tell they don't smell fresh. Most cookie rely on baking soda, not baking powder so the leavening shouldn't be an issue. Those would be the first two things I would expect to deteriorate.

Thanks everyone...that is where I was leaning so good to have confirmation!

Sheila in MD

Baklava Bars

They sound wonderful......would you please share the recipe?
    Thanks.

They sound wonderful......would you please share the recipe?
    Sure! They ARE wonderful...at least IMHO! I have gotten many good reviews on them as well. A woman who works in the office next door to me is from the mid-east and she loved them! She said "they are baklava without the mess" and asked for the recipe! You can link to the recipe here and there are a lot of reviews as well as a photo. I have not read them all but apparently several people double the honey mixture part..I have NEVER done that and would never do it-I think they are perfect the way they are!!

Sheila in MD

Baklava Bars

Base
    1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1 egg

Filling
    1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    8 frozen mini fillo shells (from 2.1-oz package)

Glaze
    1/3 cup honey
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
    1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Garnish
    5 tablespoons honey
    Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie base ingredients until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir walnuts, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt with fork until mixture is well mixed and crumbly. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over partially baked base. With hands, crumble frozen fillo shells evenly over nut mixture. Bake 18 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave 1/3 cup honey, 2 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon uncovered on High 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in vanilla. Drizzle honey mixture evenly over fillo. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Before serving, drizzle 1/2 teaspoon honey over each bar. Store covered at room temperature.

Makes 24 bars

Sheila's Notes: I have never included the lemon peel. I find it easier to make the base using a mixer. I do not drizzle honey before serving..no need IMHO. I use the whole package of shells..seriously-what would you do with 4 shells left or whatever? I have found the shells in the freezer in some stores and not frozen in others. I don't microwave the honey mixture until the bars are just ready to come out of the oven. I have always made these the day before. They store well (which surprised me the first time I made them!) and are rich so I cut them small. I line the pan with non-stick foil and don't need to spray it.

Thanks, Sheila

Will have to see if I can find the mini phyllo shells and I will be all set to give them a try.