Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great cakes you'd like to make

Great cakes you'd like to make

I need some inspiration... any cakes you've been dying to try or made once and still have shining in your memory?

You know, the ones you can't justify because of expense or some other reason? Scratch cakes only, please!

Here's one I'd love to bring to a family gathering, except that the filling is sure to put off a couple people. Darn it. There's a link for the pic: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pere-roux-cake

Père Roux's Cake
    Contributed by John Besh

Ingredients

Cake

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup solid vegetable shortening (6 ounces)

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups skim milk

7 large egg whites, at room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract

Filling

2 sticks unsalted butter

1 3/4 cups lightly packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

6 overripe bananas, coarsely mashed

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Meyers's dark rum

Frosting

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract

1/4 pound cream cheese, softened

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with rounds of wax paper and butter the paper. Dust the pans with flour, tapping out the excess.

2. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the shortening and mix at low speed until evenly blended. Add the sugar and mix at medium speed until a mass forms around the paddle. At low speed, gradually add 3/4 cup of the milk and beat until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl from time to time.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and the vanilla and almond extracts. With the machine on, gradually beat the egg white mixture into the batter at medium speed until silky, about 5 minutes. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden and springy. Transfer the cakes to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes in the pans, then invert them onto the rack and let cool completely. Peel off the wax paper and slice each cake in half horizontally.

4. In a large saucepan, cook the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon over moderately high heat until the butter and sugar have melted. Remove from the heat and add the bananas and 1/2 cup of the rum. Cook the filling over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until very thick and the butter just begins to separate, about 25 minutes.

5. Transfer the filling to a food processor. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of rum and puree until smooth. Let the filling cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

6. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat at low speed until incorporated. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and beat at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

7. Place one cake layer on a large plate, and spoon one-third of the filling on top and spread it to the edge. Top with another cake layer, pressing gently; spread with another third of the filling. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and filling, ending with a cake layer. Spread the frosting over the top and side of the cake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Make Ahead: The cake can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.

From Editor’s Picks: Nicole Schilit’s Favorite F&W Recipes, The Big, Easy Christmas
    Published December 2007
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 12-05-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Oh, but there are so many!

This one from Bon Appetit keeps calling my name, even though I don't love banana baked goods.

Banana Layer Cake with Caramel Cream and Pecans

And I cut out this entire section from the April 2003 Bon Appetit and haven't made a one.

Layer Cakes

Guess I don't have too many layer cake occasions!

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    Oh, but there are so many!

This one from Bon Appetit keeps calling my name, even though I don't love banana baked goods.

Banana Layer Cake with Caramel Cream and Pecans

And I cut out this entire section from the April 2003 Bon Appetit and haven't made a one.

Layer Cakes

Guess I don't have too many layer cake occasions!
    Love the idea of that banana one, too. banana is precisely the problem for me-- i love it in cakes, some people i make cake for do not. sigh.

but once in a while, you just have to make a great cakes for yourself, erin elizabeth! i'm lucky that my friend next door is happy to take a couple slices when needed.

I've been wanting to make this one, it is a pumpkin spice cake with caramel cream cheese frosting.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...heese-frosting

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    I've been wanting to make this one, it is a pumpkin spice cake with caramel cream cheese frosting.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...heese-frosting
    That looks amazing!
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Hi Mari, I am sure you have this book, Great Cakes by Carole Walter. Here are a few that I have marked. Maybe you can give me the push to make them.

Page 102, Southern Pecan Pound Cake (9" flat bottomed tube pan)

Page 166, Hey, I found a sticky that says I made this way back in 1991 for New Years Eve. Maple Walnut Cake. (10" bundt) My note says everyone liked it, but needs sauce next time.

Page 339, Burnished Sugar Layer Cake (two 9" layer pan)

Page 390, I gave this recipe to a bakery to make for DH back in 1992. Black Forest Cherry Torte. (10" x 2" round layer pan) He loved it.

Page 407, I also gave this recipe to a bakery to make for my mothers 80th birthday back in 1993. It was very good. Swiss Chocolate Silk (9" springform)

eta

Page 245, Oh, I just found another one I would love to make. I really like Upside-down cakes, but have only made pineapple. This one really sounds good. Apricot-Ginger Upside-Down Cake (8" square or 9" round)

This is one I've drooled over for a long time. It just looks so time consuming.

Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by 1grl1by View Post
    That looks amazing!
    it does-- F&W has more great pumpkin recipes... i'm glad i just got a $6 subscription deal from them!

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Mari, I am sure you have this book, Great Cakes by Carole Walter.

No, actually i don't-- but i'm taking it out of the library as soon as it comes in, now!

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post

Me, too. Pretty sure someone around here gave it a good review some time ago.

Loving this thread!

I made the BA Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse cake from Dec 04 one time. It was fantastic, but time consuming and required a special order chocolate. I keep saying I'm going to make it again but I just have not been up for it.

There is a thread for it here on this BB but for some reason it won't link and I keep getting an error message.

Quote Originally Posted by haley17 View Post
    I made the BA Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse cake from Dec 04 one time. It was fantastic, but time consuming and required a special order chocolate. I keep saying I'm going to make it again but I just have not been up for it.

There is a thread for it here on this BB but for some reason it won't link and I keep getting an error message.
    I think this the thread to which you were referring...boy that cake sounds good...

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ad.php?t=67173

Yes that it! Thanks. It is really yummy...a crunchy bottom with a layer of cake and mousse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post

It does look time consuming, but truly wonderful!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by haley17 View Post
    Yes that it! Thanks. It is really yummy...a crunchy bottom with a layer of cake and mousse.
    here's a direct link to the recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...h-Crust-231260

you could easily make it with plain milk chocolate and maybe a drop of almond extract to boost the nuttiness factor-- it would be somewhat less hazelnutty, of course.

I bought the magazine in 2008 to specifically make the cake on the cover. I still haven't made it. Maybe this year

http://www.teawithjosephine.net/serv...RATIONS/Detail
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    I bought the magazine in 2008 to specifically make the cake on the cover. I still haven't made it. Maybe this year

http://www.teawithjosephine.net/serv...RATIONS/Detail
    So pretty!

The first food mag I ever bought for the cover was CL's Apple Cake-- the one with cream cheese, in an article about Jewish Holiday desserts. I did make it, and have been making it ever since.

This looked so fabulous, I thought I'd make it for my Bunko group next week. I was a little concerned about finding creme fraiche in our area, so I looked for it first, and of course could not find it. So after a bit of googling, I discovered I could make my own out of whipping cream and buttermilk. So, on to make sure I could find the chocolate I needed. I was in Walmart, but I found for the 24 oz. of bittersweet chocolate and 1 lb of white chocolate, it would cost $25!! Just for the 2 ingredients, and that didn't leave any chocolate left over for garnishing! I figured it would cost around $50 by the time I bought all the ingredients, and decided to pass. Darn! - it probably would have been worth it!

QUOTE=Cafe Latte;1637954]This is one I've drooled over for a long time. It just looks so time consuming.

Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake[/QUOTE]
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I made a raspberry ribbon cake for my birthday once, that was hands down the best cake I've ever made. It's a Canadian Living recipe, but I've never been able to find it on their website. Someday I will make it again....
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Hmm... found the recipe on the Taste of Home website, but I'm absolutely sure it came from Canadian Living (I made the cake in 2001 or 2002, and the TOH recipe says it comes from a 2005 cookbook.) Can we say plagiarism?

Anyway, here's a picture:

Here's a link to the recipe:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/R...ry-Ribbon-Cake

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    Hmm... found the recipe on the Taste of Home website, but I'm absolutely sure it came from Canadian Living (I made the cake in 2001 or 2002, and the TOH recipe says it comes from a 2005 cookbook.) Can we say plagiarism?
    They do that all the time. People win contests on recipes they swipe from some place else. Apparently they just don't care.

I know I have bookmarked a few gorgeous cake recipes that I'll probably never make, but who knows where those links are now or on which computer.........

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    I was in Walmart, but I found for the 24 oz. of bittersweet chocolate and 1 lb of white chocolate, it would cost $25!! Just for the 2 ingredients, and that didn't leave any chocolate left over for garnishing! I figured it would cost around $50 by the time I bought all the ingredients, and decided to pass. Darn! - it probably would have been worth it!

]
    [/QUOTE]

try looking at it this way-- since it's melted in the recipe, except for the extra for garnish:

24oz of bittersweet chocolate= 2 12-oz bags of bittersweet chips.
    1 lb white chocolate= 1 1/3 12-oz bags white chocolate chips.
    And even ghirardelli chips aren't that expensive now, what with holiday baking sales happening.

Unless you're serving Alice Medrich, no one's going to know what brand you used. And she loves all chocolate, and is gracious anyhow.

try looking at it this way-- since it's melted in the recipe, except for the extra for garnish:

24oz of bittersweet chocolate= 2 12-oz bags of bittersweet chips.
    1 lb white chocolate= 1 1/3 12-oz bags white chocolate chips.
    And even ghirardelli chips aren't that expensive now, what with holiday baking sales happening.

Unless you're serving Alice Medrich, no one's going to know what brand you used. And she loves all chocolate, and is gracious anyhow. [/QUOTE]

I was looking at the ghirardelli chocolate at Walmart. It was in 4 oz bars @ $2.50 a bar. I figured I'd need 10 bars. I don't know why I didn't think of using chips. Using 12 oz bags rather than 4 oz bars will make it a whole lot more reasonable! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by Goin' Coastal; 12-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I decided to go ahead and make this with Nestle's chips. Hopefully it will be as good as it looks!

I decided to go ahead and make this with Nestle's chips. Hopefully it will be as good as it looks!
    I'm sure it will. That much chocolate just Can't be bad, right?

Let us know how it turns out! Its such a gorgeous cake - I'd love to make it sometime!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I have been wanting to make the Copycat recipe for Corner Bakery Cinnamon Coffee Cake but didn't have anybody to help us eat it. It is an extremely large cake. Last week-end we went to our neighborhood Christmas party so I decided to make it and it was wonderful. It is very moist and is best made the day before serving. Corner Bakery is a local restaurant in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas.
    http://barbarabakes.com/2011/10/corn...e-coffee-cake/

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post

Anyway, here's a picture:

Here's a link to the recipe:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/R...ry-Ribbon-Cake
    I can't quite make out how those rolls of cake end up making the stripes in the picture.

I wonder if it would work to make the cakes with a couple of horizontal layers instead. Trying to save on time.
    newcook

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Going through old holiday mags and found this:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/c...rry-swiss-roll

mmmm.
    Mari, if you make this cake, I will pay the postage to ship it.
    Heck, I would pay triple the cost of postage and ingredients for ANYTHING you make.

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post
    I can't quite make out how those rolls of cake end up making the stripes in the picture.

I wonder if it would work to make the cakes with a couple of horizontal layers instead. Trying to save on time.
    I'm not sure how well it would work to make it in smaller pans - the recipe is a sponge cake baked in jelly-roll pans, and I'm not sure how well it would rise in a layer cake pan. To be honest, once you've made the cake, filling and frosting, it only would take a few extra minutes to assemble it the way it's pictured. It's hard to explain how the cake is assembled, but if you look at the finished assembly from the top, it would look like a spiral. When you cut a slice, it looks like a ribbon. In any case, the taste is amazing...

ClaraB, I am determined to make this cake for Christmas. You have convinced me that it is not too difficult. Is this the type of cake which is best made a day ahead?

One last question. The recipe says: BATTER FOR TWO CAKES. Does this make two separate finished cakes?
    Last edited by newcook; 12-10-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    newcook