Community Message Boards

Thread: Gift Ideas for Nurses' Station

Gift Ideas for Nurses' Station

DH checked with the director of nursing at the nursing home where his mother is and she said that the staff is not to accept cash or any gifts other than food brought in for all to share.

It would be easy to order a tray of cookies or a big box of candy or whatever, but he wants something "special" (since most of the staff there is taking such good care of his mother).

Ideas needed, please!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

What about having bagels or something like that delivered one morning? I get a bit tired of all the candy/cookies this time of year. Or, better yet surprise them on a dreary February day when treats are a distant memory.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Fruit bowl
    Jamba Juices
    Sandwiches
    Crackers and cheese
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

How about something from Edible Arrangements? www.ediblearrangements.com

You are very kind to think of the caregivers! Any homemade treats (whether salty or sweet) will go over well. My father spent two rounds in our local rehab unit and each time my mother brought in homemade goodies, and everyone on the unit, not just those directly taking care of dad, thanked her in person.

I would suggest something that can sit out for an extended period of time, though, because of course there are several shifts in a 24-hour period. I'm sure there are staff fridges, though.
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

This is a sweet thing, but good. Also easy to share, wrapped, different flavors. And good. Need to eat breakfast before going online!
    http://www.brownies.com/
    Carlin

What about some homemade marshmallows and a big container of some nice hot cocoa mix. Marshmallows are so easy to make if you have a powerful enough mixer (I burned out a kitchenaid artisan mixer with marshmallows). I use a pro 6 now and it has no issues.

For something different and non-perishable, I'd put together a large gift bag of gourmet goodies in small or individual packets. Things that they can pick and choose from that won't go stale or bad over several days or shifts. Good grocery stores or gourmet markets should have a nice selection of:

Special teas, coffees, hot chocolates in single serve packets
    High end chocolates individually wrapped
    Small tubes of really nice hand lotions (think Crabtree & Evelyn type)
    Really nice crackers & nuts in single serve packets
    Laughing Cow type small cheeses that can remain at room temp
    Small specially bottled water or water type drinks

For as much as you would spend on individual gifts, you can put together a really spectacular box or gift bag like this.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

How about a couple cases of Mandarin oranges, homemade muffins or quick breads, I agree with the specialty teas and coffees.
    Anne

You might think about gifting them with food AFTER the holidays. When I've worked in offices, the amount of food that came through during the holidays was obscene - the stuff that didn't go to waste just was overkill.

How much fun it would be to come to work on a dull day in January and have the unexpected pleasure of a food treat - which wouldn't go to waste and wouldn't be part of a whole mass of food during that week or so period.

It's not really a situation where the timing is that important IMO since a thank you gift to nurses is appropriate at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    You might think about gifting them with food AFTER the holidays. When I've worked in offices, the amount of food that came through during the holidays was obscene - the stuff that didn't go to waste just was overkill.

How much fun it would be to come to work on a dull day in January and have the unexpected pleasure of a food treat - which wouldn't go to waste and wouldn't be part of a whole mass of food during that week or so period.

It's not really a situation where the timing is that important IMO since a thank you gift to nurses is appropriate at any time.
    That's what I said above.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Another idea would some nice hand lotion to keep at the nurse's stations. It isn't food, but as long as you are giving it to the GROUP and not an individual, it would probably be fine...you could call and ask to be sure. I know it would be OK at our hospital, and we have pretty strict rules.

Specialty teas and coffees would be a good choice if you want to give it now instead of later. There really is a LOT of food around during the holidays. We actually took a few bags that were delivered this week and put them away for later because they were filled with packages of crackers, chips, granola bars and other things that will keep, and that will be great to have around....in about 6-8 weeks! There are plenty of cookies and popcorn right now that won't keep.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    Another idea would some nice hand lotion to keep at the nurse's stations. It isn't food, but as long as you are giving it to the GROUP and not an individual, it would probably be fine...you could call and ask to be sure. I know it would be OK at our hospital, and we have pretty strict rules.

Although this would be great, the hospital that I work at has a specific type of lotion that we're supposed to use when working that doesn't interact with the hand sanitizer that the institution uses. There are always complications...

I'm with the others about something at a different time of year. When I've worked in offices, we too have gotten a boatload of stuff around the holidays. A nice note of thanks now along with a surprise treat later in the year (muffins, ordering pizzas for different shifts, fruit...whatever!) would be more remembered (and appreciated ) when given on its own rather than when mixed in wiith a bunch of other stuff that comes this time of year

Hi!

That is very nice of you guys to do this, now being in the nursing world it really means something that people do this.

I'm not sure everything that people said above, but I did see some say to wait until after the holidays-completely agree-what about for New Years? I think it would be a great idea to write a nice holiday card about how much you appreciate the care they have given the mother and down the road give a special little something!

Here are a few ideas:

Lots of packs of gum!
    Tea & coffee
    Kashi Bars
    Peppermint patties
    Life Savers or Tic Tacs
    packages of crackers or baked chips
    a
    Fortunately (and unfortunately) we get a lot of food and it is hard to not pick as you go by, so it is easy to gain weight - so try to think somewhat thin and easy to grab with hands

Another idea we love on our floor at night is bags of tortilla chips with different salsas - not the best, but not the worst treat and something that we all love.

Anything you do will be so appreciated. Again, very nice of you guys to think of the care takers at this time of year.

Michelle
    Laugh when you can!!!

Well. When DH asked me for suggestions, I had no idea that he was in such a hurry.

He arrived home tonight and happily announced that he had taken care of something for the nurses and aides at the nursing home. He grabbed a box from the laundry room and went to the car then returned with... a whole lot of stuff. I just cannot allow him to go to Sam's Club alone.

Anyway, I now need to locate a large basket that will hold the plethora of cookies, nuts, and candy that he chose. To his credit, he chose a lot of individually-wrapped items... and some boxes of cinnamon tea bags and packets of hot chocolate mix. I'll add in some fruit as well.

I will definitely keep all of your ideas in mind next year and suggest that we give a (smaller) thank you basket, maybe a few times a year. And I liked the different ideas, food items as well as things like gum and hand cream. Thanks!!!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMorph View Post
    Although this would be great, the hospital that I work at has a specific type of lotion that we're supposed to use when working that doesn't interact with the hand sanitizer that the institution uses. There are always complications...
    Same thing goes at our hospital - we have lotion dispensers with lotion that won't counteract our hand sanitizers. You also have to be careful with any scents, as some patients have allergies to scents.

Sounds like your DH did a nice job of picking out some good treats for the staff - good luck finding a large enough basket! (Maybe a large decorated box would work?)
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

reported.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by tammywilson52 View Post
    What about cookie gift baskets? Everyone loves cookies!
    Or spam baskets! Reported.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.