Community Message Boards

Thread: Meringue Cookie flavors for the Holidays

Thumbs up Meringue Cookie flavors for the Holidays

Meringue cookies are one of my obsessions this holiday baking season. I've made peppermint, mint chocolate chip and coffee so far (the coffee taste a lot like coffee ice cream ). I usually post the recipes but I am taking the lazy way out today for a good cause--Cookies for Kids' Cancer--and sending you to my blog where you can also enter to win OXO's Be A Good Cookie spatula (to raise money for Cookies4Kids).

http://thespicedlife.com/2011/12/be-...html#more-2797

If anyone has any flavor combos for meringues they've enjoyed in the past I am all ears!
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Coffee Chocolate Chip, Lemon .......

I read on another thread about your baking extravaganza. Can I move in?

I know biscotti lasts a good bit of time, but for the other cookies etc, are you eating them between now and Christmas? Or perhaps giving them as gifts. Do you freeze some of the dough, and bake later? Perhaps some cookies last longer than I think. No cookies seem to last long at my house.

Happy baking.

On the one hand you have a point, bc my husband ate ALL the nut lace cookies before I could even snap a single photo! But in general I make 2x or even 3x recipes, and I only make good keepers--all of the cookies or candies I have made can easily live in a tin for a few weeks. I don't do chewy cookies for the holidays really. The only problem I've had--this year only--is that it was SOPPING wet and warmish (i.e., no heat or AC running) when we made the pizzelles, and I think I will need to dry them out in a warm oven before serving them to my book club tomorrow night. They just aren't crisp--it happened instantly.

So anyway they just live in holiday tins on my dining room table to be whipped out at a moment's notice. One year when I was annoyed by the first week of January I then took them, chopped them up (they weren't stale you see, I was just bored by then), and turned them into chocolate salami. DELISH.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I checked out your blog and your baking extravaganza! Love it!

I have never made meringues myself but I have purchased them at Trader Joes.

Yours are so pretty!

This year, I tried this recipe from the Food Network. They are my new favorite meringue cookie--very rich-tasting for a practically fat-free cookie. I made a few minor modifications which I put in parentheses in the recipe.

Espresso Chip Meringues

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008

Prep Time:
    10 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    2 hr 0 min
    Cook Time:
    1 hr 0 min

Level:
    Easy

Serves:
    12 meringues (I made smaller cookies, so my yield was about 4 dozen)

Ingredients

* 3 egg whites, at room temperature
    * Pinch fine sea salt
    * 3/4 cup superfine baker's sugar* (I used regular sugar)
    * 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
    * 2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (I used closer to 1/2 cup)

Directions

*Can be found at specialty cooking stores

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy, about 1 minute. With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is thick and holds stiff peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the mixture (I made much smaller, maybe 2T or so) onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool completely while still in the oven, about 2 hours.

Store airtight in a plastic container for up to 4 days.

Cook's Note: The meringue mixture can also be placed in a pasty bag fitted with a large, plain tip (recommended: Ateco # 9808) and piped onto the baking sheet.
    Alicia

Forgotten Cookies are just a variation on meringues -- oven turned off and left to cook with residual heat. I have made those with mini chocolate chips and nuts as written, but have also subbed crunched peppermints for the nuts (and or chocolate (maybe too close to the peppermint you have made) and have added dried cranberries. The dried cranberry addition was more of a repeater here than the peppermint, but one son has decided he doesn't like peppermint and SIL is allergic.

Have you tried pumpkin spice, gingerbread, toffee bits, chocolate with cinnamon and/or chili added? Not my favorite, but you could fold in diced candied fruit or ginger. I might like to try candied orange peel though -- and dip the bottoms in dark chocolate. If I remember correctly, you don't like raspberries, so I won't suggest that (but they would be good with dark chocolate too).

Do I have recipes for any of these (other than the forgotten cookies, which I believe have been posted here before)? No. Of course not -- they fall into the playing with food category.

ljt2r -- I don't thnk I could have cookies for weeks on hand no matter how well they keep. Unless I didn't like the cookie. Ha. Thanks for the info on what you do. Must be so nice to have something sweet on hand during the holidays and to get it done early. Happy Holidays!

goblue -- Thanks for posting that recipe. Would love to try another variation for Espresso Chip, you know, just for comparison. Ha. I'm hoping to make them this weekend.

I love meringues as well. That Alice Medrich peanut butter meringue is one of my favorites. I also like the Mexican chocolate meringues from Eating well. Yours look really nice. If I get mine really dried out, they do keep for quite some time as long as they are in a really tight sealed container. I have also frozen them with success. Enjoy your baking (and eating!)

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by karen w View Post
    I love meringues as well. That Alice Medrich peanut butter meringue is one of my favorites. I also like the Mexican chocolate meringues from Eating well. Yours look really nice. If I get mine really dried out, they do keep for quite some time as long as they are in a really tight sealed container. I have also frozen them with success. Enjoy your baking (and eating!)

Karen
    I like the peanut butter also. And I also made them with 72% cacao bittersweet chocolate finely chopped and boy those were the best. But I did not do those for xmas.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Coming back to say I like flavor that temper the sweetness, because I find them borderline too sweet. To whoever suggested lemon--is it just the zest or can you add the lemon juice as well?
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Ljt2 --

I mentioned lemon, but never made them. They did have zest (a local bakery used to sell them), not sure what else. I find some meringues sooooo cloyingly sweet, that I can barely eat more than one (and that's saying something) so the tartness of the lemon really appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Ljt2 --

I mentioned lemon, but never made them. They did have zest (a local bakery used to sell them), not sure what else. I find some meringues sooooo cloyingly sweet, that I can barely eat more than one (and that's saying something) so the tartness of the lemon really appealed to me.
    I was never interested in making them for this reason--until I tried the really dark chocolate and realized that made a huge difference. Same with the coffee. And I like the mint--apparently that is the exception to my too sweet rule. But the lemon appeals to me for the same reason. I'm bookmarking the idea in my head, going to look for a recipe.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/