Community Message Boards

Thread: One Last Cookie Rant

One Last Cookie Rant

Am I a grinch for thinking Chocolate Chip Cookies are not acceptable on a holiday cookie tray?

I make CCCs throughout the year. I love CCCs. They are not difficult to bake.

Holiday cookies, to me, are ones that take a bit more time, have special flavors, and are passed down for generations.

I received a cookie tray from a friend with CCCs and oatmeal raisin cookies. I appreciate the thought/gesture, but it just didn't hit me as Christmas-y! I understand that people don't have the time/money to devote to more challenging/expensive cookies, but ugh.

Signed,

Scrooge McScrooge
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

As long as they're homemade it shouldn't matter. I've never made cutout cookies or anything fancy for Christmas. I think the closest I came was the buttery pecan balls rolled in powdered sugar. When I baked to share it was usually toffee butter cookies, salted oatmeal, crispy oat cookies, biscotti, etc. All made with love.

Yup! (Since you asked! )

A gift is a gift, and for your friend, CCC may be something she ONLY does at the holidays. Everyone's traditions are different.

Not everyone is a regular cook, and not everyone has homemade CCC around on a regular basis. And even if she does, she took the time to make some for YOU.

I compare it to my child giving me a painted tin can to use as a pencil holder for a gift. I could buy something much nicer (if I even needed one), but that misses the point. The love that went in to making something special for me is the point.

PS: All these years later, I still have the tin can! (But I wouldn't recommend holding on to the cookies that long....)
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

LOL! Yes, you are most welcome to your rant, because I TOTALLY agree!

I had asked my kids this year what kind of cookies I should make, and they started rattling off the plain old normal cookies, and we had to have The Talk About How Christmas Cookies Are Special.

My only accomodation this year is that I am making Snickerdoodles, but I'm putting the cinnamon in the cookie and rolling them in red and green sugars, so they'll still be festive looking.

I think that people really just don't make their own cookies anymore, so when Christmas rolls around, they pull out their recipes for CCC and Oatmeal Raisin and go to work, thinking they're doing a great thing by making something homemade at Christmas time.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

DH would step over his dead mother for a chocolate chip cookie.
    I think he, personally, would be relieved to see them as opposed to fancier cookies that he doesn't always care for....not that he won't eat those either
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

A Christmas gift - from a friend - is not acceptable? And you say "ugh"? WOW!

I found my all time favorite Oatmeal Raisin Cookie on a cookie tray. I have spent years searching for a recipe that comes close.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Even though I do make chocolate chip cookies year round, I still consider them a Xmas cookie. But, on the other hand, no one in my family would eat pepperminty or other typical Xmas flavored cookies. They typically go for the ccc, oatmeal scotchies, iced cutouts, sugar cookies, buttery nut balls with powdered sugar, etc.

I would never be upset with a cookie tray that someone went out of their way to make for me.

I can see where you are coming from - my favorite Christmas Cookies are the ones that are only made that time of year, and do take a bit more effort and have special flavors. I wouldn't go as far as to say CCC's aren't acceptable, but I would definitely be a tad disappointed that there wasn't something more exciting and special on the tray. Having said that though, I haven't met a cookie I didn't like, so I'd take what I could get!

I see your point, but personally I prefer the flavor of good CCC over some of the "prettier" cookies people make this time of year. I do often make batches of CCC to put out, I will sprinkle them with red or green sugar in an attempt to make them look more festive

These are the only cookies DH has asked me to make so far this season.

So, while I see your point that they aren't as "Christmas-y" as some cookies, I do think it is not worth a rant or anything else negative over.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I'd save the rant for the tray filled with store bought cookies.

I'd save the rant for the tray filled with store bought cookies
    Or Pillsbury slice and bake, which is what I usually see

I'd happily take a CCC, I actually think that the average CCC is better than the average christmas cookie

I see your point, but personally I prefer the flavor of good CCC over some of the "prettier" cookies people make this time of year.
    Amen to that, a friend of mine spends days making beautiful truffles that taste like plastic. Blows my mind people who are more concerned about looks than taste, I'm the complete opposite

I assure you all that I did appreciate the tray! She went out of her way as a non-baker to make treats- it was a really a sweet gesture.

I'm a cookie snob, I admit it. I can see how many opt for the familiar on a cookie tray- sometimes they can be really hit or miss.

I appreciate the comments My first world issues are knowingly ridiculous. I was in a bit of a Christmas funk, and the CCCs didn't help

As long as they are good I don't care what kind they are.

And I really do love CCC and I cannot make the darn things so I would welcome them.

It would bug me a bit too, just because (and any friend of mine would know) I have tons of cookies for Christmas already so to give me cookies that don't keep is a bit frustrating. Not only do I agree that they are "year round" cookies, I just don't like them for Christmas because I like to sample my cookies equally as the season goes by, not feel like I need to finish the chewy cookies before they get stale, if that makes sense. And hey for those who judge, griping here in a moment of annoyance is not the same as refusing the cookies!

Now having said that if she brought them to a party or a work function or something I might cry foul. Because there presumably they are only meant to last the evening/day, and homemade IS homemade.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cumulus View Post
    I was in a bit of a Christmas funk, and the CCCs didn't help
    First time I've seen CCCs fail to cure anything! Funks are part of the season. Put the cookies in the freezer to be enjoyed after next week?

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    agreed

I'd appreciate the effort and the thought behind the gift, but secretly, I'd be disappointed in CCCs. Somehow, I've lost my taste for them -- perhaps overuse , but I think Christmas cookies should be special to the season, too. My Christmas cookies aren't pretty -- rocks, bourbon balls, buckeyes -- but that's the only time of year I make them! I would, however, love to have cranberry/white CC cookies!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Isn't it interesting as to what different people define as acceptable cookies for a Christmas tray? I know that lots of people make and consider Biscotti special. If a friend gave me a Christmas plate of Biscotti I would be disappointed and feel mildly insulted because they are the *diet cookie* I eat year-round. But, how could anyone fault a friend who bakes you something they are certain you eat and like?

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Definitely!
    Hey, not everyone may have the same cookie traditions that you do. I for instance am not American but I live here in the US. I don't have the tradition of baking cookies for Christmas, and the cookies my grandma used to bake are different than whatever some people here might be used to.
    In this case it is the thought that counts!
    And I also agree with BucknellAlum, I have received some pretty elaborate Christmas cookies that were not that tasty at all. Or sometimes one type of cookie mixed with the others spread its flavor and make everything taste/smell weird (I am one who doesn't like almond extract and mixing those tri-colored italian cookies flavored with tons of almond extract on a cookie tray just makes every single one around it inedible to me).
    I would be happy with a tray of delicious homemade cookie, no matter what they were! At this time of the year everyone is busy and so focused on their families and activities that having a friend think of you and take the time to bake you a cookie is a blessing in itself!

The only homemade goodies I feel bad about are the ones that are substandard and no one will eat.

I don't generally make CCC or other year round standards for Christmas cookie trays, but I do get requests to make them from the kids, so sometimes. And if I don't make them you know there will be ready takers waiting for them.

Which is probably exactly why someone, especially a person who is not an avid baker would make them. You want to make something you know people will like. CCCs are a perennial favorite at every bakery, home kitchen, party, bake sale, meeting and other cookie event I can think of except Girl Scout cookie sales -- only because I've never seen them offered. Generally an easy pleaser.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Actually I have made CC cookies at Christmas, at a granddaughter's request, but I used red and green m&m's instead of chocolate chips to make them more festive.
    I can get behind that! Festive is key!

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    Isn't it interesting as to what different people define as acceptable cookies for a Christmas tray? I know that lots of people make and consider Biscotti special. If a friend gave me a Christmas plate of Biscotti I would be disappointed and feel mildly insulted because they are the *diet cookie* I eat year-round. But, how could anyone fault a friend who bakes you something they are certain you eat and like?
    I've actually never heard of biscotti being considered a "diet" food--it's a cookie after all!

And ironically, I can't eat chocolate right now so it isn't a cookie I'm able to enjoy, and yes she is aware

Quote Originally Posted by cumulus View Post
    I've actually never heard of biscotti being considered a "diet" food--it's a cookie after all!
    Not all cookies are calorie, or diabetic, no-nos!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Biscotti ~

1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups flour
    3/4 cup brown Splenda
    3 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.

2. Beat the eggs, vanilla and anise extracts, or anise seed, set aside.

3. Whisk, or sift, the dry ingredients. Gradually stir into the egg mixture. Beat until a dough forms. Divide the dough in half.

4. Roll into logs, about 10x2", on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to the baking sheet, 3" apart. Bake 300 degrees, 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch. The logs will spread during baking. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.

5. Using a serrated bread knife, cut, on the diagonal, into 1/2" slices. Bake 300 degrees, 10 minutes. Turn, bake 10 minutes, or until firm.

6. Cool before storing in an airtight container. Makes 40.

For Anise Biscotti - Add 1 tablespoon anise seed, or 1/2 teaspoon anise extract

Using sugar instead of Splenda, increases calories to 38.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 28 Calories; trace Fat (13.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 23mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
    -----------------------------
    * Exported from MasterCook *

Meringue Spice Kisses ~

2 egg whites
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup Splenda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cloves

1. Mix the sugar and spices. Beat the egg whites gradually beating in the mixed spiced sugar.

2. Drop onto well-greased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 250 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately using a spatula.

4. Store air tight, so they will remain crisp. Makes about 25.

Variations: Omit the spice mixture and add lime or lemon zest; peppermint extract; other extracts, or suigar-free gelatin. Using sugar instead of Splenda increases the calories to 10 per cookie.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2 Calories; trace Fat (6.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 15mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Actually I have made CC cookies at Christmas, at a granddaughter's request, but I used red and green m&m's instead of chocolate chips to make them more festive.
    We do the same thing with the m&m's. My daughter always makes cc cookies when she is home and the Christmas ones always have red and green. I better go buy some before the stores are out.
    Anne

I think all our family would pick out the CCC first. A Xmas tray is what maked your family show its love.