Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Salmon?

Freezing Salmon?

I bought more salmon than I really needed earlier from the grocery store. The stuff they sell in the display case that is ready to cook....as in, it's not frozen. But was it previously? Can I take one of these pieces and freeze it for later use?

I don't freeze fish - especially if I don't know if it's frozen. It won't kill you but it certainly will be degraded.

Salmon is one of the few fishes that makes great left overs so I would probably poach or cook and eat cold with a sauce - or make salmon cakes. I think the salmon cakes could be more successfully frozen than the fish.

Of course you could freeze and THEN use for something in which the pristine taste and texture of the fish wasn't paramount.

I try to buy all of my fish already frozen so I can decide when to thaw it.
    copper River salmon is the only stuff that comes in here fresh (really fresh, not frozen-thawed-fresh).

Each time you thaw and freeze/refreeze, you degrade the quality because of the ice crystals that reform.
    Is it very noticeable...well, if you are used to really fresh fish, then yes. If not, it may not affect the quality a whole lot.
    You could also try different recipes that are in sauces, soups, etc. where the texture would be less noticeable. Poaching, chowders, cream sauce type preps are what I am envisioning.
    You could also pulse it coarsely in a food processor and make salmon burgers with it, then freeze it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I freeze my salmon all the time into individual servings. Thaws out beautifully and tastes just the same to us.

I, would however, agree that perhaps you can find out if the salmon was previously frozen as I am not sure if I would re-freeze either.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    I don't freeze fish - especially if I don't know if it's frozen. It won't kill you but it certainly will be degraded.
    If you package it correctly you'd be hard pressed to tell it was frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    If you package it correctly you'd be hard pressed to tell it was frozen.
    I wouldn't I'm pretty picky about where I buy my fish. I don't even like the commercially frozen fish which is theoretically better than any home freezer can do because the extremely fast freezing minimizes formation of the ice shards which break up the protein structure.

If there was no other option, I would freeze it but I would use it where texture and taste was not front and center.

I guess I'm lucky. I don't buy commercially frozen fish. We either buy it fresh or dh catches it or one of the guys on the rig. And all of them know the proper way to wrap it for freezing.

Well....it was freeze it or let it go to waste. Having said that, I'm probably never going to feel comfortable thawing it. Live and learn, next time I won't get so much.

By the way, I made this Grilled Orange and Bourbon Salmon (I broiled it though!) recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gril...0000000222842/

I was VERY skeptical as I have never been fond of Salmon and the strong flavor, but this was really good - no strong flavor!? I guess the marinade helped tame that down?