Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Pantry / Freezer Challenge

I bought and froze ground chicken in May 2011....reckon that's still ok to thaw/cook/eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    I bought and froze ground chicken in May 2011....reckon that's still ok to thaw/cook/eat?
    Absolutely.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I got inspired to go through the pantry earlier today (DH couldn't find the pita chips ). I tossed a few things that were well past their "use by" dates and were opened, like pancake/biscuit mix (which we almost never use). Found we have enough balsamic vinegars of various quality levels that we shouldn't need to buy any for a decade. Same goes for artisan mustards and seedless raspberry jams/jellies (DH loves mustard, I'd had problems finding the jam for a recipe once so apparently since then we've bought a jar or two whenever we saw it )

The chest freezer had to be empty by early May, when we turn it off for the summer. LOTS of roasted green chiles (40 lbs or more) in there from our summer in Santa Fe. I pulled out some chicken, chiles, and homemade turkey stock for white chili tomorrow. I haven't done my annual "no protein left behind" inventory and meal planning yet, but I suspect I won't need to buy anything beyond fresh veg, dairy, and the usual household staples for a month or two.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Bawstinn View Post
    Anyone have any ideas for using seafood stock?
    I really like this recipe. I use whatever fish and shellfish I have or am able to get. Using your own stock would make it even easier than having to make it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    Any suggestions for the frozen carrot/pea/corn/green bean mix? My 2 year old isn't "into" veggies much anymore, so no one is willing to eat them. Aside from shepherd's pie, I'm drawing a blank.
    I made this recipe recently, and we all liked it. It makes a ton though, so beware! I was pretty sick of it by day 5 or so. The recipe calls for frozen peas and carrots, but says any frozen vegetables that size will work.

Chicken and Rice Casserole
    Cook's Illustrated
    Ingredients
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, minced
    Salt
    3 medium garlic cloves, chopped fine (about 1 tablespoon)
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
    16 oz bag frozen peas and carrots (any frozen veggies this size are fine)
    8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 recipe toasted bread crumb topping (about 2 ¾ cups)
    3 tablespoons parsley
    Directions:
    Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and cook onions and 1 teaspoon salt until soft and lightly brown (5-7 minutes). Add garlic and cayenne and cook until very fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in flour and stir constantly until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the broth and the cream.
    Add the chicken, partly cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover completely, and cook until the thickest part of the chicken registers 160, 10-15 minutes (or just check to make sure that it’s cooked).
    Remove the chicken and set aside. Stir the rice into the pot, cover, and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid (some remains) and is just tender (20-25 minutes). When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred/cut into bite-size pieces.
    Remove the pot from the heat and stir in chicken, veggies, cheddar, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch casserole, and sprinkle with the topping.
    TO STORE: wrap tightly with plastic wrap and foil, and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month (if frozen, thaw in fridge 24 hours before baking). TO SERVE: Put oven wrack in medium position, heat oven to 400, unwrap casserole and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the casserole is bubbling and hot, 1 hour (I did it for 40 minutes), remove the foil, and bake until the crumbs are crisp, 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. TO SERVE RIGHT AWAY: Bake at 400, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling and the crumbs are crisp, 25-35 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Crumb topping:
    Preheat oven to 300. Pulse 4 slices white sandwich bread, quartered, and 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter in food processor to coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Spread the crumbs in a rimmed baking sheet, and stir once, until golden and dry, 20-30 minutes. Let cool, and toss with 2 tablespoons minced parsley, and season with salt and pepper.

Anyone know how long frozen chickens are good for? I have two that are two? three? years old. I hate to waste them, because they were from a local farm and kind of pricey. I used 6of them, but then forgot about the last two. They are very well wrapped if that makes any difference.

Well, negating the challenge all together -- I just bought 24 (29-oz) cans of pumpkin puree. BJ's had them on clearance, because they only stock pumpkin seasonally. 33 cents a can. I see lots of pumpkin bread and pumpkin oatmeal in my future! Any other suggestions?
    We love pumpkin soup.

I got the upright fridge/freezer cleaned and found the usual number of unlabeled mystery suprises. I made a big pot of soup with most of them.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    Anyone know how long frozen chickens are good for? I have two that are two? three? years old. I hate to waste them, because they were from a local farm and kind of pricey. I used 6of them, but then forgot about the last two. They are very well wrapped if that makes any difference.
    I'd go ahead and use them, as long as they have no freezer burn on them... that changes the taste, IMO.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

As long as they're not freezer-burned, I'd cook them in a crock pot (makes the meat tender) and then shred it to use in recipes like Chicken soup, chili, enchiladas, gumbo, etc. Anything where its combined with lots of other ingredients and spices. I just wouldn't make a roast chicken for example, that gets served on its own. Perfectly safe to eat as long as it wasn't thawed / refrozen.

Juli

Venison Update -- KAF Oven-Baked Chili

Ok, over the weekend, I tried this recipe and subbed Venison Round Steak unstead of the beef. I used the Crock Pot method instead of oven-baking. At the very end of the recipe it says -- 3 hours on High in Crock Pot. My LOW setting seems high to me so I did 3 hours on LOW, and it was great. The vension was very tender, and this has been a challenge for me with other methods. My husband absolutely loved this and so did I. Otherwise, no changes to the recipe.

Here's the link:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...d-chili-recipe

Juli

Plugging along ... I made some granola and one container went in the pantry, and the extra went into the freezer. I used up some of my mega bag of walnuts, and more importantly restocked my granola stash. My morning yogurt was getting a bit boring.

This week planning to use up some of the shrimp in the freezer (there's a EW recipe for Lemon Garlic Shrimp that I want to try). And, my goal is to use up the couple of things wrapped in foil. I wonder if there will be any surprises when I defrost them. : )

Have a couple of bottles of salsa, so used one jar and made some CL Black Bean Salsa Chili. and a few servings into the freezer. Super easy to make.

So my question, I have a small can of chopped clams. I've never used a can of chopped clams before. Are they any good, worth even using? Any easy recipe suggestions (I'm thinking the obvious pasta). The can was in a food basket that my neighbor recieved, and she grabbed all the chocolate and gave me the bottles of balsamic, eggplant spread etc.

Any progress, or lack of progress to report.

Juli, I've never had venison before. Great that it worked so well in your recipe.

Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Plugging along ... I made some granola and one container went in the pantry, and the extra went into the freezer. I used up some of my mega bag of walnuts, and more importantly restocked my granola stash. My morning yogurt was getting a bit boring.

This week planning to use up some of the shrimp in the freezer (there's a EW recipe for Lemon Garlic Shrimp that I want to try). And, my goal is to use up the couple of things wrapped in foil. I wonder if there will be any surprises when I defrost them. : )

Have a couple of bottles of salsa, so used one jar and made some CL Black Bean Salsa Chili. and a few servings into the freezer. Super easy to make.

So my question, I have a small can of chopped clams. I've never used a can of chopped clams before. Are they any good, worth even using? Any easy recipe suggestions (I'm thinking the obvious pasta). The can was in a food basket that my neighbor recieved, and she grabbed all the chocolate and gave me the bottles of balsamic, eggplant spread etc.

Any progress, or lack of progress to report.

Juli, I've never had venison before. Great that it worked so well in your recipe.

Thanks.
    I always keep canned clams on hand for linguini with white clam sauce.

Drain the clams and mix with sour cream for a very simple tasty dip.

Well, negating the challenge all together -- I just bought 24 (29-oz) cans of pumpkin puree. BJ's had them on clearance, because they only stock pumpkin seasonally. 33 cents a can. I see lots of pumpkin bread and pumpkin oatmeal in my future! Any other suggestions?
    I was reading down this thread cos I really should join in but when I read this Alleycat...I certainly chuckled.

Sounds like me! I have more than enough in the freezer for months of meals...so this week I bought some BSCB cos they were on sale

Actually I was looking at the pumpkin at Publix last week cos it was on clearance...but the price was terrible so I passed...it was $1.50 a can--but at 33 cents I would have been clearing out at BJ's like you did!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    If you are putting your new rotisserie to the test I can't think of a better recipe to christen it with than this one... I get a major case of the drools just thinking about it.

CHILI ROASTED CHICKEN WITH ROASTED GARLIC GRAVY
    This looks great...I have been looking for a rub for my rotisserie chickens...and the gravy sounds good too. Printed up for my to-try pile.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions for the frozen carrot/pea/corn/green bean mix? My 2 year old isn't "into" veggies much anymore, so no one is willing to eat them. Aside from shepherd's pie, I'm drawing a blank.
    Vegetable soup?
    Vegetable-beef soup?

I've used up a mix of frozen veggies for both of the above. We like them, but no 2-year-olds here.

I'll play - so long as one gets points for taking something OUT of the pantry/freezer even if one makes something else to put back IN

I did roast the wild goose I found at the bottom of the deep freezer last weekend. I brined it overnight and used a clay pot, so it was moist and certainly tasty, although, as wild goose are sometimes, not the tenderest.

I also used some BSCB to make homemade chicken tenders for the kids, and some RG borlotti beans to make the beans with tomato sauce & creamy polenta referenced in this thread. Very yummy dish and great for a cold rainy night.

I have 2 turkeys, one of which may be roasted to provide a meal for our local homeless shelter which houses 5 people per night (DD has been very interested in helping out those less fortunate than we are).

I cooked up a huge pot of navy beans to make a navy beans with leek & bacon dish from a magazine that comes with our newspaper, which used up languishing leeks but did end up with 2 containers going into the freezer. Remaining beans destined for ham & bean soup, also for the freezer.

Hmm, maybe I have been more productive than I thought!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Thank you all for inspiring me...I hope I do work on this cos I need to get rid of an old freezer--we bought a new, smaller one a few years ago...but I keep buying and buying (sales!) but the old one is taking up valuable garage space that I want for parking the vehicle.

But so far I haven't make much progress (in fact I did add to the freezer--BSCB on sale this week).

I did take out a chuck roast last week to make something but it was more than I needed for one recipe, so I made two different things. Good for a couple of meals...and to add more to the freezer (the containers of leftovers take up more space than the chuck roast did).

So basically I did a conversion from raw meat to ready-to-eat meals...so that is good, just not clearing out the freezer to get rid of it.

Braised Beef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

The tomatoes cook so long in the liquid that they soften to the point of falling apart, adding flavor and body to the braise. The long cooking time also makes the beef very tender.

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup beef stew and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley)
    COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 medium onions, vertically sliced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 cup less-sodium beef broth
    1 cup sun-dried tomato halves, packed without oil, cut into strips (about 2 1/2 ounces)
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 4 minutes, browning on all sides. Add sliced onion; cook for 7 minutes or until onion is softened, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring often.

Stir in water and next 9 ingredients (through bay leaf). Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 1 hour. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving Calories: 241
    Calories from fat: 35%
    Fat: 9.4g
    Saturated fat: 3.2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
    Protein: 23.8g
    Carbohydrate: 10g
    Fiber: 1.5g
    Cholesterol: 71mg
    Iron: 3.7mg
    Sodium: 443mg
    Calcium: 33mg

Cooking Light SEPTEMBER 2004

Slow Cooker Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers

Real Simple December 2009
    Serves 4

Hands-on Time: 10m

Total Time: 8hr 30m

Ingredients
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
    2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
    1 cup long-grain white rice
    1 avocado, sliced
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Directions

1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.

2. Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.

3. Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.

Tip

This stew is a take on the hearty Cuban dish ropa viejo. The name means “old clothes” in Spanish, as the strips of meat and colorful vegetables are said to resemble a jumble of rags. Flank steak is traditional, but you can also use chuck.

Nutritional Information

Calories 556; Fat 17g; Sat Fat 5g; Cholesterol 56mg; Sodium 883mg; Protein 44g; Carbohydrate 55g; Fiber 7g

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Drain the clams and mix with sour cream for a very simple tasty dip.
    This made me LOL, because of a silly thing that happened 40 years ago... I know this is OT, but indulge me!

I was going for my interview with BGSU: my mom and BFF were on the trip, and my mom was a big snacker -- that's where I get it from! We had purchased some snacks to have in the room -- chips and clam dip, and some sweet rolls for breakfast! Anyway, the morning of the interview, we had breakfast in our room... clam dip and sweet rolls! I got into BGSU, but I've never had that particular combination again!

Back to the thread...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Margeslp -- Off to find a recipe for linguine with clam sauce. Thanks for mentioning -- I think I now have dinner planned for Saturday.

Lakemartingal -- now that is an interesting food combo, clam dip and sweet rolls It's funny how certain things you never forget.

I'm trying to use up some odds and ends, but keeping an eye on what I have to buy (if anything) to use up that ingredient.

Found a frozen Milky Way bar in the back. No recipe required to use that up. Done.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.

I pulled the frozen lasagna to thaw for dinner tonight. Yesterday I used up a couple bags of blanched broccoli in some quiches with left over salmon from the night before. The avalanches that occured when the door was opened have now stopped. I'm going to use the frozen cherries or cranberries for some type of desert when we have friends over Sunday. I may thaw some of the Thai peanut sauce to use as a dip too. Now if I can get DH to move his frozen bait to the chest freezer I will actually have some space to work with.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    If you are putting your new rotisserie to the test I can't think of a better recipe to christen it with than this one... I get a major case of the drools just thinking about it.

CHILI ROASTED CHICKEN WITH ROASTED GARLIC GRAVY
    Thank you for posting this! Looks great. I didn't see it in time but I bet I can find another chicken in the freezer to use.

I made sauce and meatballs (using up frozen ravioli and tortellini and 3 pounds of ground beef) as well as a double batch of Easy Taco Chili (using up 2 pounds of ground beef, several canned goods and some frozen corn). We've been eating it this week and the rest will go into the freezer so I have some easy to grab meals in there.

I found some bacon this morning so I pulled it out and we are having breakfast for supper. Not sure if it'll be scrambled eggs or pancakes ... although knowing the kids probably both.

I need to dig around in there a little but I am thinking of either pulling out a pork roast or a beef tenderloin for Sunday. I also know I have some chicken breasts in there so perhaps some chicken parmesean will be on teh menu as well. I have some more tortellini I could cook as a side (good thing the kids love it).
    Maria

I really like this recipe. I use whatever fish and shellfish I have or am able to get. Using your own stock would make it even easier than having to make it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
    Oh this looks good and I also like the idea of using it in risotto. What kind of fish can I use in place of monkfish ... don't think it would be readily available in Iowa. One of the many reasons I miss living in New England.
    Maria

Found a frozen Milky Way bar in the back. No recipe required to use that up. Done.
    I found a frozen Snicker bar in mine. I took care of that one myself too.
    Maria

Margeslp -- Off to find a recipe for linguine with clam sauce. Thanks for mentioning -- I think I now have dinner planned for Saturday.

Lakemartingal -- now that is an interesting food combo, clam dip and sweet rolls It's funny how certain things you never forget.

I'm trying to use up some odds and ends, but keeping an eye on what I have to buy (if anything) to use up that ingredient.

Here's my recipe:
    Linguini with White Clam Sauce
    List of Ingredients

6 T olive oil
    1 can mushrooms
    1 T salt
    1 can small clams
    1 t. chopped garlic
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    2 T soft butter
    2 T parsley
    Cooked linguini
    Recipe

Heat oil.
    Stir in garlic and cook 30 sec.
    Drain can of mushrooms and saute in oil.
    Pour in clam broth and wine and boil briskly over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup.
    Add clams and parsley and heat.
    Toss cooked linguini with soft butter.

Quote Originally Posted by MinEaston View Post
    I'll play - so long as one gets points for taking something OUT of the pantry/freezer even if one makes something else to put back IN

.....Remaining beans destined for ham & bean soup, also for the freezer.
    soup made. do I get extra points for helping my neighbor use up stuff from her fridge? they are away for a month and said to help myself, so I used up her rapidly-withering celery and carrots in the soup
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Here's a thought that has probably been stated before. With all our cognitive abilities, why don't we place it better? How about opening one cupboard and cleaning it out to take to the local food pantry? One of our recent posters has a great idea of training families to donate time after training. Loved it.

We agonize over balancing ease, economy and elegance. That's a phrase from a book in the 70s by a psychiatrist's wife called "Nobody Said You Had to Eat off the Floor." Message was - you can'y have all 3 E's. I have translated that to cooking.

Let me look in my cupboards. On no. Oh yes. Just let them go. I know two churches' food pantries and I won't need to post as often

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    Absolutely.
    I used the ground chicken today to make this White Bean and Chicken Chili - I had to leave out the fennel seed and swiss chard, but else wise was able to make it using things I had in the freezer and pantry!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post

Braised Beef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
    I made this for dinner tonight...loved it! It was the perfect dish for this chilly day. Everything was so tender and flavorful - mmm, delicious over mashed potatoes. Thanks for posting
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Wasn't planning on playing but I did use up a bunch of quinoa last night with the honey quinoa bread (which was outstanding and I am really wishing I hadn't given the second loaf to my neighbor!), and a can of artichokes in a wheat berry salad.
    Sarah

That big box of jumbo shells, frozen wedge of Parmesan and 2 jars of Prego are gone now. Used Pammela's Sausage, Spinach, Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells. Mine looks like a lot more Ricotta with nice bits of all the rest of ingredients. I liked it better than my usual vegetarian version with all cheese.

Target this week is all the feta in the freezer I found while looking for the Parmesan wedge.